Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Steering Wheel/Column

Ok... so how hard is it, what tools are needed to change this?

I'm pretty sure its the steering column... I'm not sure what parts come out or what pieces are involved... but heres the problem.

I was checking the multifunction for a ground problem I was having. When everything was getting reassembled, there is a small grease covered plastic disc that the little metal plug, on the multifunction switch, sits on. The plastic ring, cracked.

So now when i steer left or right, it clicks like crazy, and sometimes gets stuck for a second when recentering my wheels, after steering right.

What is this plastic disc a part of, and how do I replace that piece? I'll get pics eventually. Also... my horn stopped working. I can bridge two metal contacts behind my wheel to get it to sound... but pressing the steering wheel gets nothing. Assume its also in that assembly
Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Sounds like its the horn contact ring. I had to replace mine a few years back. You need to take the airbag out, pull the steering wheel and some other shit I can't think of. Do you have a Chiltons? I think it explaned it pretty well in there. You need to disconect your battery and unplug the yellow wire thats in the driver side fuse panel. That way the airbag doesn't go off in your face.

There are 2 torx screws from the back side of the steering wheel for the airbag, T-25 orT-30, can't remember which. Once the airbag is out you can take the cruise buttons out. You may need a steering wheel puller, I didn't. Not sure what size nut hold the steering wheel down either. After that your on your own. I know there is a snap ring that holds a spring in, I think the contact ring is under the spring. I know getting the spring pushed back down and putting the snap ring back in was the biggest bitch.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Sounds like its the horn contact ring. I had to replace mine a few years back. You need to take the airbag out, pull the steering wheel and some other shit I can't think of. Do you have a Chiltons? I think it explaned it pretty well in there. You need to disconect your battery and unplug the yellow wire thats in the driver side fuse panel. That way the airbag doesn't go off in your face.

There are 2 torx screws from the back side of the steering wheel for the airbag, T-25 orT-30, can't remember which. Once the airbag is out you can take the cruise buttons out. You may need a steering wheel puller, I didn't. Not sure what size nut hold the steering wheel down either. After that your on your own. I know there is a snap ring that holds a spring in, I think the contact ring is under the spring. I know getting the spring pushed back down and putting the snap ring back in was the biggest bitch.

is that just the horn... or the whole thing?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
That ring is just for the horn. I'm pretty sure thats all its there for.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

I'll have to get pics to be sure we're talking about the same thing....
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

I will look in my book tomorrow. Its been a long time since I tore everthing apart. The little rod that comes out of the multy thingy majiggy and pushes against the ring. That ring right?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
I will look in my book tomorrow. Its been a long time since I tore everthing apart. The little rod that comes out of the multy thingy majiggy and pushes against the ring. That ring right?

the rod sits against it.. yes.

when you turn the wheel, the ring gaps apart... and snaps back into place, turning the turning signal off. That very same ring... now has at least one crack in it.

Is it possible to just buy that piece.... or am i going junkyard diving for a steering column?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

I bought just the ring from the dealership. It was like $22. It was the biggest pain in the ass I have dealt with on the Alero.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
I bought just the ring from the dealership. It was like $22. It was the biggest pain in the ass I have dealt with on the Alero.

fantastic.. thats what i wanna hear...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Thats one thing I wish I would have taken pictures of when I did it. Like i siad before that spring was the biggest pain in the ass. I think you put the horn contact ring in, then the spring, then the snap ring. The spring looks like a valve spring but smaller. Pushing the spring in and trying to get that snap ring in is tough.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Working on steering columns = fail. They're sooo damn fiddly.. just the worst
Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

This is the best I can do picture wise.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

given the picture... for me, it seems like it could be the turning signal cancel cam assembly, more then anything.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Yeah thats its proper name. I just call it the horn contact ring because thats what the guy at the dealership called it. And when I messed mine up the horn would go off when I turned left. I believe its also what turns the turn signals off once its turned past a certain point.