Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
JakeBrake
GX Member

JakeBrake is on a distinguished road
Cracked Transmission at Mounts. HELP

Okay so when I bought my alero the Rear Transmission mount wasnt even bolted on the engine , the two bolts were loose and the third bolt at the bottom was gone and where the mount brace bolts onto the tranny , the part of the tranny was completely gone , it snapped off , i then replaced my upper engine mount with a polyurethane mount , and then my front trans mount i bought the poly bushing for and had it put it , i had it bolted but because i could not secure the rear trans mount (the two bolts would always come loose whenever i tightened them because the third bolt was not in) the front transmission mount has now cracked the front of the tranny where it bolts on and is not secure at all .... the engine now moves vigoursly as the only mount securing it is the upper engine mount , im still driving it everyday but have no torque and alot of vibration coming from the engine , is the only solution to do a tranmission swap? or could it be welded? and how much am i looking at price wise for a new transmission and it swapped? Thanks guys.

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Polyuruthane motor Mounts
Magnaflow Muffler
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
weld it

and fix whatever the heck is causing it to break in the first place
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
JakeBrake
GX Member

how much would it cost to take it to a shop and get it welded ? and what kind of place would do that ? they would have to get under the car to weld the rear mount brace onto the tranny. i could get some pics up soon of the damage.

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 11-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure, but I think the tranny case is cast aluminum. VERY hard to weld, and if it is, good luck to ya. I would get a Junk yard tranny if I was you
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
JakeBrake
GX Member

whats the average price in ontario for a junkyard tranny and getting it put in ?

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
I'm not sure, but I think the tranny case is cast aluminum. VERY hard to weld
Not to a good fabricator.. mine could do it no problem.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
whats the average price in ontario for a junkyard tranny and getting it put in ?

IDK about Canada, but down here your looking at 400 for the trans and 700 for an install, it would be cheaper to have it welded for maybe 300..you just have to find any welding shop and I'm sure they can weld aluminum, it isnt hard..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
i got one transmission for sale, in my partout s/c ld9 thread, also a good clutch while you're at it... where are you located in ontario, I'm in quebec
for 200$ you can have the transmission and for another 200$ you get the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch (5000km on the clutch and costed me about 700$)

nevermind I did not see that you had an ecotec..... I am disapoint....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/

Last edited by guiguilandry : 11-04-2011 at 01:02 PM.
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I would hate to dd a stage 3 clutch with a stock motor
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
JakeBrake
GX Member

well if anyone has a 2.2 ecotec transmission (5 speed) I want it !!!! i think getting it welded for 300 is a risk...as it may just snap again.

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

So fix your mounts or whatever is causing it to break....

You'd rather put $1100 into a new transmission and have that break too? I'd weld the one I have and fix the cause of the breakage..
Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
JakeBrake
GX Member

im assuming the cause of the breakage was the rear mount was never secured and i drove it for over 4000km until the front mount then cracked the transmission (im guessing from the extra pressure being put on it from the rear mount not being secured ) , when i bought the car the guy told me the front mount was done , and he replaced it , but i guess he never noticed the rear mount had cracked off the transmission , so it has to be welded at the front and back , also when i replaced the upper engine mount with my polyurethane mount , the old upper mount was completely done , the bushing was all cracked and i could actually pull the middle part of the bushing right out of the mount , i have already spend 300$ on a new upper engine mount (which is fine) and the bushing for both the rear and front transmission mounts , i only have one poly bushing in the front mount though , i guess i will have the mounts welded to the transmission , make sure both the rear and front trans bushing are good , and then it should be okay?

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

why'd it cost that much lol
Old 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
JakeBrake
GX Member

umm the mounts? im pretty sure the upper mount was like 100 plus shipping .. and i know the 2 bushings from turbotech racing were 100 something with shipping , so sorry not 300 , 200.... but um will that fix everything ?

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #15
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
What exactly broke? Get some pictures of the damge.

I know your from Canuckville and all but all of this below?, I'm not gonna try and read through this to figure out what problem you are having. Use some damn grammar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
im assuming the cause of the breakage was the rear mount was never secured and i drove it for over 4000km until the front mount then cracked the transmission (im guessing from the extra pressure being put on it from the rear mount not being secured ) , when i bought the car the guy told me the front mount was done , and he replaced it , but i guess he never noticed the rear mount had cracked off the transmission , so it has to be welded at the front and back , also when i replaced the upper engine mount with my polyurethane mount , the old upper mount was completely done , the bushing was all cracked and i could actually pull the middle part of the bushing right out of the mount , i have already spend 300$ on a new upper engine mount (which is fine) and the bushing for both the rear and front transmission mounts , i only have one poly bushing in the front mount though , i guess i will have the mounts welded to the transmission , make sure both the rear and front trans bushing are good , and then it should be okay?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I'd weld.

$300 seems a bit steep for a weld job that is so small, and if you put in a new or used tranny you're spending a lot more money, to have the same problem.

Think of it this way, would you use a Band-Aid to fix a broken leg? Kinda the same in this case

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Redog, but repeat, welding cast aluminum is extremely hard (but dooable). The problem being that anything cast is going to have impurities in the metal, the new weld will have a hard time bonding to it. You can do it, but it is going to be very weak and aluminum is a very brittle metal to begin with. Chances are it will break very soon after. So therefor, don't pay 300 bucks to get it welded. If you can get it done cheaper or free, then do it, that way you're not out a ton of money to have it break again.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #18
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Go for the weld.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
JakeBrake
GX Member

Okay i'll try to explain it better , the transmission is broken, where the transmission mounts connect to the transmission , the transmission has actually broke , the bolts no longer go into the transmission (the mount bolts) , so If I do replace the transmission I will never have the same problem.. as the problem is that my current transmission cannot be held by the mounts because theres nowhere to put the bolt , its actually cracked off and its gone off the transmission , so would it be possible to have the mounts welded right to the transmission , and will those welds even hold?

EDIT: both the front and REAR of the transmission (where the mounts bolt on) has broken , neither of my transmission mounts are holding my engine/tranny.

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
JakeBrake
GX Member

I think im going to get a new transmission , the car is still driveable so I have pleanty of time to save up for the job , thanks for the advice guys , was hoping there was a way out of buying a new tranny !

Stage 2 Clutch
Cosmo Racing Intake
Magnaflow Muffler