Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #21
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I just got my letter today. They are literally just adding a key ring and putting a cover on the ignition modual from the sounds of it. Parts and dealers will be ready on Oct 1st. Kinda cool to get some mail with the Olds logo on it, considering theres not much of that going around anymore.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #22
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
got mine today

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #23
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
I was at my local GM dealer today and the service guy said that they might just put an insert into the key ring hole on the car key to make the key ring hole smaller in order to reduce movement of the keyring (I hope that makes sense). The fix wont be ready until October around here, so I'm not 100% sure how accurate that is.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #24
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

^that what I got from the letter
Old 09-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
I have to wiggle my key to get it to turn. If they put it on mine before I get a new cylinder,I won't be able to start it.
But I finally got it.
Edit: looked up a switch
Surprisingly, rockauto wasn't the cheapest. Their cheapest is like $102+ship. Another website I found has the switch with keys, already coded (will likely need relearn procedure and a scanner which I already have) and it's $51.25 with free shipping. Here's the link for anyone else who needs one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1411782091-picsay.jpg (31.5 KB, 168 views)
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers

Last edited by aleros_eat_rice : 09-27-2014 at 03:28 PM.
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Got this done today with the brakes and they did a recall for "OBD system software" as well. The key is is literally just two little rings and an insert to keep them centered in the key. I will post up a picture sometime.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #27
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
OBD system software recall?
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #28
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC the OBD system software thing isn't an official recall and is ecotec only. It is a recommended TSB that would have been replaced under the emissions warranty, but since when I checked into it my car was over 10 years old and had 170k they wanted $95 to hook the car up to the Tech II for like 45 minutes.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #29
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I think he turned off my 02 sensor codes! They should have went the other day but still nothing. I mean, he was under there and saw the damn thing doesnt even have a spot in the new pipe so I'm not complaining, I just want to know for sure.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #30
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone get the recall done yet? I'd like to see pictures of this "fix".

That and they are giving out $25 gift cards to anyone who brings in their car before Jan, because so many people are not impressed with this "fix".

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...104-story.html

General Motors is offering $25 gift cards to owners of recalled vehicles to encourage them to visit their dealers and get defective parts repaired or replaced.

The company last week began sending notices to "several hundred thousand" vehicle owners, a company officer said.

The letters offer a $25 gift card to Starbucks, Amazon, Wal-Mart, Applebee's, Red Robin, AMC Theatres or Bass Pro Shops.

The letters are going to people who have received recall notices but have not had their vehicles inspected, said Ryndee Carney, GM's manager of cross brand communicatons.

"There are several hundred thousand people who have taken no action whatsoever," Carney said. "They haven't seen their dealers, even though they have been contacted by us repeatedly."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...-jan/18646465/

GM extends gift card deadline to Jan. 1
General Motors is extending the deadline until Jan. 1 on a $25 gift card offer to owners who have not responded to the recall of cars equipped with defective ignition switches.

The company has replaced the defective components on more than 1.2 million of the cars, mostly Chevrolet Cobalts, HHRs and Saturn Ions and Skys from model years 2003 through 2007. That's about half of the vehicles covered for the ignition switch recall.

As an incentive to those who haven't yet brought their cars to dealers, GM last month mailed letters offering a gift card to one of seven participating retailers if they brought the car in by Dec. 1. They now have an extra month.

"Dealers asked us to do that," said GM spokeswoman Ryndee Carney. Dealers were concerned that the earlier deadline could create a traffic crunch in their service departments.

Did any of you get a letter about this? I did not get and $25 offer.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
Garfield
GX Member

Garfield is on a distinguished road
I haven't received any notice of the $25 offer, maybe it only applies to the models getting new ignition switches, not people like us that just get a crappy paste on. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen what they are doing for Aleros but it sounds horrible.)
Cherry: 2004 Alero GLS Sedan (Final 500 #362) ~63k

Last edited by Garfield : 11-10-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #32
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
I haven't received any notice of the $25 offer, maybe it only applies to the models getting new ignition switches, not people like us that just get a crappy paste on. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen what they are doing for Aleros but it sounds horrible.)

The only other thing I could find on the internet about this with respect to the Alero was someone else stating that the offer is not applicable:
http://whotv.com/2014/11/05/is-your-...-25-gift-card/
My Olds Alero was just in the dealership for this recall. I called them and was told my recall didn’t qualify for the gift card. The recall notice said for the ignition and was rectal #14350. Is my dealership just jerking me around?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
This is what the fix is on the legacy platforms (the non greek alphabet platforms).

Anything that's not the Cobalt and the other Delta cars that doesn't have an eared key cylinder will be getting that fix. It's basically a piece of plastic that glues in to your current key and prevents the weight of your keychain to pull the key towards the bottom. At least that's what the theory behind this is.

The N body cars (Malibu, Alero, Grand Am) and the W body cars (Impala, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Intrigue) will be getting this fix.

The Cobalt, HHR, G5 and Ion are getting the new key cylinders.

There is no real reason to take a legacy GM car to get the "fix" It's a stupid fix anyways. They will not be fixing your ignition key problems, something that has been known to be bad since VATS (the pellet keys). A bit of a background on that statement - VATS is also known for disabling your car. Sometimes the resistor in the key is bad, sometimes it's the key cylinder itself. It's basically the same issue that the N bodies have with Passlock.

For all of you guys who have sticking key cylinders, loose key cylinders, or the key simply comes out, your fix is on your dime, because GM is not recognizing that their key cylinders are the real culprits. Anyone with the "security" light won't be getting their issue fixed either.

GM will not be replacing the whole ignition key unless someone presses that the issue goes back to the days when they got rid of the eared ignitions. This is why the Buick Regal and Century are not part of the recall. They have eared ignitions. I believe the 1997-2003 Grand Prix isn't a part either.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #34
zzyzzx
GLS member

Great post Nas Escobar! Anyway, I did some searching on the Grand Am forums, and nobody there is taking their car in for this questionable "fix" either.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 02-16-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #35
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

X2. I'm not taking my other key in. The one thats on my chain is 'fixed' because why not, but this is completely pointless.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #36
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Great post Nas Escobar! Anyway, I did some searching on the Grand Am forums, and nobody there is taking their car in fir this questionable "fix" either.

Thanks. Wouldn't want to see people waste their time on nonsense. The Jeep recall is a better waste of time. You get a free trailer hitch.

Both my GM cars have the eared ignitions. I don't have to worry about this issue.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #37
jawa