Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-31-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
i don't even know where to begin

so as some of you know i tried installing a bulldog keyless entry system in my car the other day. after trying all day today i finally gave up. now this is where it gets strange, me and 4 of my buddies went on our sunday night cruise thats about 30 miles round trip. when we were about a mile from where we were going, i hit a bump in the road and the battery light came on. i pulled over and popped the hood and checked the positive cable on the battery and it was loose, so i tightned it and went on my way. after about a 1/4 mile of smooth road sailing the battery light came on again. this time i just drove it to the place we were going to. popped the hod again and pulled the 12v constant wire for the keyless entry off the battery terminal completely and re-tightned the cable. everything was fine for a little bit till we got heading back and i noticed my pass. side HID low beam light was flickering like a damn strobe light, so once again i pulled over and turned my lights off and back on again and this time only the driver side HID low beam was lit. at this point im pretty pissed so i turned my high's on and went on my way. i got about 2 miles from my house and my driver side high beam went out...FML. about a mile from my house my lights slowly got more dim and then my anti-lock light came on. as soon as i pulled in my driveway my seatbelt and e-brake light also came on and thats when my car died. i pushed it into the garage and turned the key to the on position and what do you know my interior lights and running lights are as bright as before all this happened. sorry this is so long i just wanted to give all info so i can possibly find a solution for this cluster eff.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
bad alternator. i'd get it checked anyways

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
i dont think its the alternator tho because i just tried it again and it fired right up like nothing was ever wrong and after about 2 minutes the battery light came back on. i did notice that the windows and moon roof were moving rather slow. i dont think i messed up the bcm because the only wire i tapped into from the bcm was the white door lock/un-lock wire.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

ground issue possibly. check all your grounds

mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
alero_bmxer
GL Member

checked grounds and they were all tight. fired it up again and turned the blower on and it was like it didnt even wanna spin even on max.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
It's the alternator or accompanying wiring. The battery light means the alternator isn't charging.

The big wire should have 14ish V on it.
Orange wire should have 14V on it.
Red wire should have a varying amount of voltage on it.
Grey wire should have 14V on it.

All those are right I'm pretty sure.. check the generator fuse

Orange should have that voltage on it no matter if the alt is bad or not. If it has no voltage the generator fuse is blown or the wire is broken.

If the red doesn't have voltage on it, the field windings / brushes on the alt are shot

If the grey wire doesn't have voltage, the alt isn't charging

If the big wire doesn't have voltage, it's broken somewhere

If the big wire has 12v on it... the alt isn't charging

If you have 12v at the orange wire, and some voltage on the red wire (and also at that pin of the PCM (generator field control pin), the alt is most assuredly the issue.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
alero_bmxer
GL Member

ill keep this in mind and check in the morning when i go back out. thanks a ton clutch!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
after skimming through (didn't read the whole first paragraph or most of clutchs tips)

i concur. sounds like the alt.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
alero_bmxer
GL Member

i just talked with one of the guys from the shop where i work at and he said i could have possibly jarred one of the plates in the battery loose. is this a possibility?

Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
not as likely as the alt being toast.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
alero_bmxer
GL Member

well had the alternator and battery tested and they were both junk

Old 05-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
well dang... replace em' and let us know how it goes
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
alero_bmxer
GL Member

leaving to go and get the alt right now. got the battery the first time i went to autozone... thank god it was still under warranty

Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
The bad alt probably killed your battery, too, btw.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
alero_bmxer
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
The bad alt probably killed your battery, too, btw.

yea kinda figured that. well she runs like new now and thats all that matters.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

look at second post.... awww yea for lucky guess