Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
mjmoran

Unhappy Coolant problems

Hello everyone! Im new here. And I have a problem with a 99 Alero.

I was standing in front of it when from under the passenger side of the car it suddenly just started dumping coolant. The vehicle was on and parked at the time. On closer inspection of the engine it looks like the LIM is leaking(there is a puddle of coolant on mounting between the engine and transmission and the seal around the manifold looks as if it had been leaking)

I had filled the fluid up and started the car to see if I could find where the larger leak is from and I don't really see any obvious places where its coming out. Additionally, the engine oil doesn't look like there is any coolant in it, so I guess thats good at least

I was wondering if these two problems tend to go together or if maybe I have two separate problems?

Thanks,
Mike Moran
Old 07-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Seaaan
GX Member

Seaaan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Seaaan
Welcome! I don't know if a coolant leak is a common problem or not as I have not experienced it. Are you sure it's the coolant and not just your ac condensing? Is the coolant low?
Seaaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
mjmoran

When I saw It I had initially just glanced and thought that It may just had been the AC, however, I looked again - and it looked like it was raining under the car, from where the puddle was it looked like if was coming out somewhere behind the front passenger tire. I ran over and it was coolant - additionally It pretty much drained the system. What I am wondering is if the problem is unrelated to the LIM leaking, since that appears to be another problem.

Thanks,
Michael Moran
Old 07-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
sounds like its coming out of the overflow. what the temp like?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
mjmoran

I guess it was a little over half way. My GF was in the car and turned it off because it was higher than she was used to but not near overheating. Since I didn't get out of where I was until after she turned the car off, I don't know.

I know she had added coolant to it a few days prior but I think it would have had to get pretty hot to push that much coolant though that little line.

Thanks,
Michael Moran

PS Thanks for the quick replies everyone
Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
I would start the car and let it get up to operating temp, have someone in the car watching the temp gauge as you watch under the hood. You wouldn't think water would come out that tube very fast but if its too hot it will.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
InFaMoUs_ALERO_210
GX Member

InFaMoUs_ALERO_210 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to InFaMoUs_ALERO_210
what i did was replace the egine gaskets as my car was leaking antifreeze were the top manifold and engine block joined together i just repaced my head gaskets and it stoped leaking now if it is coming from were you fill up the atifreeze its easy just change the thermostat which is located below the carburator youll need to remove the air filter and the air duct above and the carburator itself and if that doent solve your problem then check all of your relays for a bad one and if u cant figure it out then take it to a good mecanic where i take mine i dont pay my mecanic much find a good mechanic but cheap lol aiight
InFaMoUs_ALERO_210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
it sounds to me like your overflow is.. well.. overflowing lol

im not exactly sure on how that works- but when the fluid was added in, was it a 50 / 50 mix, straight antifreeze (make sure its dexcool, the orange stuff), or straight water?

a LIM gasket leak would not spew fluid like you're describing.. I would have the radiator flushed and brand new coolant (50/50 DexCool) put in it..

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
dtldiaspora
GX Member

dtldiaspora is on a distinguished road
also make sure your overflow tank lid is on all the way, i've put it on b4 and thought it was on all the way and it wasn't and it caused it to push it all out the overflow hose, i guess it wasn't pressurized right or whatever
dtldiaspora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFaMoUs_ALERO_210 View Post
what i did was replace the egine gaskets as my car was leaking antifreeze were the top manifold and engine block joined together i just repaced my head gaskets and it stoped leaking now if it is coming from were you fill up the atifreeze its easy just change the thermostat which is located below the carburator youll need to remove the air filter and the air duct above and the carburator itself and if that doent solve your problem then check all of your relays for a bad one and if u cant figure it out then take it to a good mecanic where i take mine i dont pay my mecanic much find a good mechanic but cheap lol aiight

I never knew an alero had a carb. You mean throttle body. In this case though it sounds like a water pump since I have never heard of a lim pissing coolant like that, especially if the oil looks good. Is the hood wet and discolored above the serpentine belt? If so it is your water pump. Strange that it did not overheat though.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtldiaspora View Post
also make sure your overflow tank lid is on all the way, i've put it on b4 and thought it was on all the way and it wasn't and it caused it to push it all out the overflow hose, i guess it wasn't pressurized right or whatever

same thing happened to my brother's wife's alero.. cap wasn't on all the way and it spewed while going down the highway.. giant ball of steam following them- took it to the shop and the mech's laughed when they looked at the cap

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
1st - tighten the fill cap. Our car's used a pressure to vent if the cap is loose it will vent sooner.

2nd - Get the LIm fixed Do-it-urself find Jackal's DIY on this

3rd - pressure test after fixing LIM to comfirm no more leakage.

4rd - If still leakage replace cap.

5th - If still leaking your engine is overheating for some reasons.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by super white alero1 View Post
1st - tighten the fill cap. Our car's used a pressure to vent if the cap is loose it will vent sooner.

2nd - Get the LIm fixed Do-it-urself find Jackal's DIY on this

3rd - pressure test after fixing LIM to comfirm no more leakage.

4rd - If still leakage replace cap.

5th - If still leaking your engine is overheating for some reasons.

5th reason is ur head gaskets are slipped. I am 90% sure that is the problem but the caps usually dont fail often (to my knowledge).

replace lim gasket and go one step past and do the head gaskets also trust me it would suck to take it apart to replace the head gaskets. its just a couple steps past the lim replacement.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote