Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Optima Battery Info and Install with pics

So I have seen a few others and including myself that have asked about Optima batteries.

After a bit of researching, this is what I have come up with.

Optimas are spiral design and deep cell batteries which means they are more efficient and also can be drained fully repeatedly and won’t be harmed like a regular acid based battery.

There are three type of Optima Batteries:
-Red Top
- Yellow Top
- Blue Top

The only ones you need to worry about for automotive are the Red and Yellow Tops (Blue Tops are more for Marine use)

The Red Tops are for general purpose use. If you have a stock automobile with no real plans to add anything more than an upgraded deck and maybe a few LED’s. Depending on where you get it from, will cost around $230 after taxes (CAN).

The Yellow Tops are a bit better if you have upgraded electronics like double din decks, additional speakers which will need more amps and subs. Anything that will draw more power than an alternator can give out. For the price difference, I went with the yellow top because I have plans to upgrade my system later. Depending on where you get it from, will cost you around $270 after taxes (CAN).

I just ordered my Optima Yellow Top and I must say that it works really well and I was impressed with the packaging and thought that went into it.

[IMG][/IMG]
This is the packaging that it comes in. At first I thought Holy Crap that’s tall but that top part comes off which I will show next.

[IMG][/IMG]
Under that top part they include some adapters for different applications.

They even show which adapter you will need for which application. I thought that this was a nice touch. For the Alero you can use the same Puck style securer or you can use the new one which I did because it lets you get more thread in.

Since this is the model battery that they got for me. Since they don’t have an Alero or Grand Am model on their site, this is the best fit.

Or not best fit…lol. Since this is a spiral battery, it will take up a bit more room so you will need to mod your battery tray a bit for it to fit. (Those are the EBCM’s from my other thread. Will soon be a write up on that too.)

Since I have a cai I couldn’t cut the back side that leads into the engine so I cut the side that is closest to the bumper (That is the saw I used on the right).

After installation.

Bit of a tight squeeze up front. But that’s it.

Now you can upgrade your sound system and you can store your car and feel comfortable knowing that your battery will now handle the stresses. Your only other thought might be a High Output Alternator if you go really large!

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Rexter9x
V.I.P. Member

Rexter9x is on a distinguished road
I had to cut my battery tray as well to fit my red top in... although it looks like youve got more clearance for the intake with where your battery is positioned. Nice write up!
Rexter9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
I didn't have to cut my tray for my red top

One other thing of note..L.E.D.s will actually draw less power than a regular bulb, therefore if you are replacing your lights with L.E.D.s there would be no need to upgrade the battery.

Other than that, good job. I also recommend an optima battery to anybody with a 2.2 that is putting in a Cosmo WAI and has the post extension for an amp on the battery, otherwise it's very tight and will probably arc.
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm thanks for the information on the battery. I may go with red top. Issue I've been having is flickering of lights when I kick on the ac. All I have added is gauge overlays and two led strips. I keep thinking it may be the alternator since it has well over 200k and has never been replaced that I know of. Battery is only like a year old. I have a 3.4 btw.

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
say no to the reds. quality isn't what it used to be. gotta get yellows now.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
If your lights are fading in and out then check you battery after a night of sitting...if the charge is between 11.5 and 12.5 volts, then it is your alternator. I had the same problem a year ago and when I changed the alt, everything worked fine.

You could also take it to an auto store that has free electrical checks and they can tell you without taking it out of the car.

Cherri - What is wrong with the Redtops? I haven't found anything like that in my searches.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
i can get a yellow top locally for 189.00
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
Yeah I just got my new yellow top for 169$ taxes included brand new direct from my interstate battery distributor..

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Just did this all in under 10 minutes. Thanks for the write-up! I got myself a 34/78 that has 870 CA at 32F. I too had to cut the tray to make it fit.

I was looking around for a 75/25 that had 770 CA at 32F, but no shops around me carried them. The 75/25 would've been a direct replacement with no cutting necessary, but oh well.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Since we are bumping old threads here, I'll give an update on mine. I'm at almost 7 years with the same yellow top Optima and still running strong.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I literally just put in my #78 yellow top last week, love it! I just had to trim the one side to get it to fit. having the top and side terminals is really nice to.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I wish Optima would offer a colour range on their batteries. Make your batteries available with a simple black top! That has been the only thing keeping me from buying one. I have one of their regular green tops in the car and I hate it, Ive hated it since the day it went in there, Ill be damed if I'm going to spend 200 on one that is going to last the rest of this cars life and look that bad.... she an't goin' out like that, not on my watch
Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
i have a blue top in mine because i like to listin to my stereo when im working on my car, it has 1125 cca at 32 and 900 at 0. im very impresed, i can run my stereo for 6 hours and it doesnt drain hardly at all

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
jawa