Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-29-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
the_SkoL

When I hit the brake the abs make his !!@* Job and my car doesnt stop especially in winter. How to disable abs or put it less sensitive?? Thx
Old 11-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #2
Voodosoup

Ok first off you need to re-check what you typed and change it so it makes sense.

ABS should only kick in when you hit the brakes really hard. And it should be a hard pulsing of the brakes. It is fairly noisy.

If you're driving on snow or ice and you have to slam on the brakes hard enough to engage ABS, you're driving way to fast for the bad conditions. In winter weather ABS won't help you much anyway if you're going too fast (EDIT for FINAL the ***tard.). A heavy vehicle is mostly going to slide under heavy braking in slick conditions.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
Final-Reality

ABS doesnt help in the winter? Are you kidding me? If you've ever driven a vehicle without ABS on the front wheels in the winter, you'd know that ABS definately makes it easier to stop. My truck had rear ABS but not on the front, and "pulsating" the brake pedal on it was near useless because the pedal required so much travel to engage the brakes, that you just couldnt do it fast enough. I slid into several intersections and slid past several turns because I couldnt get the front wheels to stop locking up and sliding
Old 11-30-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
Insane75

My ABS kicks in when I am driving in deep snow because ice builds up on the rotors. This is a bit of a pain in the ass but other than that ABS is a great thing to have in the winter time or on wet roads.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:09 PM   #5
the_SkoL

I don't kick the brakes and mostly abs workin at slow speed but the car stop really to far.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:37 AM   #6
misslindseysue

If the ABS is on, you're stopping faster than you would be without it, trust me. Mine also comes on when I'm not braking hard in the winter, if it's really icy. That's how I know when it's slippery. Even with ABS though, you aren't going to stop on a dime on ice. There's just too much momentum and not enough friction.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
mfuller

The ABS system engages fairly liberally on this car, so I really wouldn't worry about it. My ABS will kick in if I brake over an expansion joint in the road! I think the ABS and Traction Control systems are even more sensitive in cold weather......just give yourself extra room to slow down.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
crazykid

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Nov 30 2003, 02:47 PM
ABS doesnt help in the winter? Are you kidding me? If you've ever driven a vehicle without ABS on the front wheels in the winter, you'd know that ABS definately makes it easier to stop. My truck had rear ABS but not on the front, and "pulsating" the brake pedal on it was near useless because the pedal required so much travel to engage the brakes, that you just couldnt do it fast enough. I slid into several intersections and slid past several turns because I couldnt get the front wheels to stop locking up and sliding
i agree, my old car didn't have abs... it helps A LOT huge difference
Old 12-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
3.4Alero

One of the other benefits of ABS on the front wheels is that when it is pulsating, you can still steer. If the wheels completely lock up under braking, steering goes bye-bye.

Quote:
Originally posted by Insane75
My ABS kicks in when I am driving in deep snow because ice builds up on the rotors.
That should NEVER happen, because your pads drag lightly on your rotors all the time to keep them clean. This also creates a certain amount of friction, so ice should not be able to build up. If this is happening, then something is wrong with your calipers.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #10
the_SkoL

today my anti-lock brakes and service engine soon lights on the same time :rolleyes:
Old 12-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #11
3.4Alero

Probably a faulty O2 sensor. If you're under warranty, take it in. If not, take it to autozone first and get it scanned for free. Then the dealer / mechanic won't charge a diagnostic fee.