Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
3.4Alero

Quote:
I need info on tranny swap from a auto to 5spd. I want a 5spd before I do anything else
Quote:
2.4 or 3.4?
Quote:
i got a 2.4... i'm kinda interested in doing this to....
Quote:
f you have the 2.4 get a getrag form the wreckers, may need the computer from a 5speed car too.
Quote:
you will need the tranny and then probably have to order the pedals and the pedal hardware along with shifter and etc from dealer. you will need the computer. but trying to get a 5 spd alero computer will be hard. unless you can have yours reprogrammed.
Quote:
there are lotsa wrecks now, can get the pedals, trim etc from there, just gotta dig.
Quote:
dont ya think this is jsut another situation where it would be easier to just go buy a 5speed alero..... rather than swappin everyting over....
Quote:
for real for the time and money it would cost to do it you could buy a used five speed and save ur time and money
Quote:
what about a swap from the 2.4 to the 3400?
Quote:
what I'm I looking at for price
Old 11-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
3.4Alero

Quote:
couple grand at least
Quote:
Best thing you could do is to try and sell your car and get an Ecotech 2.2L manual. If you're having troubles selling your car or if you've got a lot into it already, you should be able to get a 5 spd out of a grand am or grand prix, now the conversion will work but it'll be spendy. If you don't have a friend in the automotive biz you're looking around the $3000+ mark, and thats being generous. If you're desperatly wanting that 5spd go online or to a salvage yard and try to find the 3.8 supercharged grand prix engine with a 5spd tranny, you'll need engine mounts the ecu and engine and tranny of course. All that alone should be around the $2000-$3000 mark, but dont forget that you'll have to have someone do all the work to and you dont want to know what that'll cost. But heres a little hope, if you're lucky and are able to do it you could sell your existing tranny and engine online or something for a little cash. If you still have questions, ask your mechanic what would be possible and for how cheap....uh expensive it would be.
Quote:
this would be the only reason i hate gm.....there is not a car available with a V6 and a manual tranny....if it wasnt for the alero lookin so dam good, id have a stratus r/t 4dr 2.7 5spd.

but anyways...just go get a 2.2 manual liker potentjoker said...then boost it with the s/c from GM performance parts, then have the dealership re-flash the ecu, and then go lookin for fun
Quote:
Just so you know the supercharger kit through GM perf parts is for the 2.4 it won't work on the 2.2.
Quote:
I highly doubt anything that from the 3.8 would bolt onto the 2.4 (that's what pfc has) esp. with regard to the tranny. (and prolly not the 3.4 either that whole 60^ v. 90^ thing, or am I wrong? not a v6 guy)

If you really want a manny just look around and find one. I will probably be selling my MT tranny before tooo long. I want to upgrade to a 282 cost a few hundred. If you were to do the conversion you would also need the pedal, linkage, resevoir, etc, fabbed up another few hun. about 1-1.5G so far (just on hardware); then The real pain is the ECU, so for the whole swap its gonna be close to 3G if you do a alotta work urself. better off just getting a stock manny.
Quote:
overdrive...the 2.2 just came out from the works of Jon Moss, and is available
Quote:
pfc, you just want the 287 tranny (the one that comes in the alero) look for one that came out of a 2000+ j-bod, same tranny as the alero and more common