Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-18-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
3.4Alero

Quote:
I was reading a past tread by pimpalero03 and he was wondering how to mold his scoop to his hood so their wouldn't be a seam...i just got my scoop and was wondering this also...nobody answered his tread so i thought i would restart it...or if you have already pimp i would like to you know what you did.

sound_xtreme
Quote:
haha, if you have never done any body work. i wouldnt suggest a hood as your first project.

bdyman
Quote:
^^^^^true hood`s roof`s deck lids are the worst to keep straight
but again if you get a fiberglass hood scoop and bond it to the metal i would use duramix i forgot the porduct number but it bonds metal to metal fiberglass to metal i use it all the time to bond 1/4 panels door skins i would try that and just be very very light when you grind down the hood use a large grinder and move it at a decent speed so it won`t warp i have done it just have to have the experience i guess
that`s my 2 cents

johny_boy32
Quote:
thats enough for me....i have a couple of buddy's that work in a body shop....they can handle it....that way i dont bunny it up.

johny_boy32
Quote:
one more thing....pimp if you have done this or know how much its gonna cost i would like to hear from you.

bdyman
Quote:

well cost iam guess from $500 maybe to $1,000 now iam jsut guessin
just to bad it`s now if you wait i can do it $500 from my garage

Landon Z
Quote:
I dunno dood, i was thinking about doin the same thing, but i was told that with the heat from the engine bay rising, and then the cold from outside, eventually you may have separation issues (no mommy & daddy arent gettin a divorce lol ) And if you are using a plastic hood scoop, this may also be affected by constant heating and cooling. Plus if someone ever drops your hood hard/too quick, you could be looking at havin a cracked/crack in your hood. I would say save the money, and buy one of the aftermarket ones, such as the knights performance.... but that is just my 2 cents...

bdyman
Quote:
i forgot also it`s a plastic scoop fiberglass won`t stick to plastic or bondo so ur pretty much stuck with a plastic hood scoop on the hood

johny_boy32
Quote:
hell...if all this is true i'm gonna have to figure somethinng else out...like maybe getting a new hood...

crazykid
Quote:
johny just to let you know, pimp has not molded his scoop onto his hood, i know he was talking about it, but he hasn't done it yet.. i do believe he is still planning on getting it done though eventually, and making it a functional scoop

johny_boy32
Quote:
thanks crazy...i would really like to hear from pimp...talk to him in person

bdyman
Quote:
it`s a plastic scoop peel off the double faced tape and stick it on

pimpalero03
Quote:
OK here is whats up. i went to a place called lakeside collision. VERY good place here in macomb twp. to just take my scoop and mold it in to the hood they would have to do this. take off scoop, put a metal plate under it, bolt down the scoop all around it, and molding it in with what ever they use. it would raise the middle section of hood up a little, kind how a mustang hood is raised a little in the middle. to do all that would be 300.00-350.00 BUT that isnt painted or functional. to make it functional would be around 500.00 he said. now im for sure gonna blend it in come spring and repaint the whole hood. putting holes into my hood to vent heat... not sure leaning towards no. the guy has blended in LUND hood scoops in before, the two that u see on trucks a lot. he said that my car wouldnt be as hard cuz its not two scoops and he doesnt have to match/mirror them. all he has to do is center it. so all in all he thought it would look really nice but i told him i my as well wait till spring... when i slap on my razzi kit im picking up saturday

bdyman
Quote:
not tryin to be a rooster but dude the scoop is plastic i dunno what he`s gonna do 4 ya but nothing is goin to stick to plastic and last just my 2 cents

sound_xtreme
Quote:
rivots and panel bond will.

Landon Z
Quote:
ok, but explain me this then, how the hell are they gonna make it functional with out causing possible damage to your engine, because you will need a lot of custom ducting for the air that comes in thru the scoops, never mind the bypass so that any water or dirt etc that gets in there wont bunny up your air filter, or any other internals?

johny_boy32
Quote:
i bet it could work...you just have to have the right people....tell me what happens in the spring pimp

pimpalero03
Quote:
if it was functional it wouldnt be going into my engine like ram air, it would be like that hood that knights performance "is making" for the alero. it would just blow air into the engine to cool off the engine bay
Old 11-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
im waiting till spring, but the place i went to said they can do it and they have done lund scoops before. its not gonna be functional though
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
crazykid

aww you skiping out on the functional scoop?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:59 PM   #4
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
maybe i just need a whole new hood...i like my scoop for now though...