Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Alero4life
GX Member

Alero4life is on a distinguished road
Ticking

When i start up my alero there in a rapid ticking sound that comes from the middle of the dash and only does it for a few seconds then it stops. I live in north dakota n its my first winter with the car so i dont know if its just because of the cold. Anybody have any ideas?
Alero4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
sounds like something to do with the hazzard switch. there was a recall on them at one point, and its been covered on the site multiple times. search for hazzard switch recall or something. the parts like $30ish from a dealer and not to difficult to install if thats what the problem is.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Is it comming from under the hood? Do you have the 3400 V6?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Is it comming from under the hood? Do you have the 3400 V6?

if you have the 3400 V6... and it sounds like this Lifter tick don't worry, they all do it
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
if you have the 3400 V6... and it sounds like this Lifter tick don't worry, they all do it

Yea that what i was thinking of too...

common problem with the heads on the 3400 they fix it with using ls1 springs.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Could be many things. Lifter tick, a lil cold piston slap (which is actually normal on lots of engines), or hazard switch recall isn't done if its from inside the car.

btw, i'm also round your area. I'm in GF for school and Langdon is home. My brother lives in DL actually, i used to date a chick from there too.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Alero4life
GX Member

the ticking is comming from like the middle of the dash inside the car, and it is kinda loud. and yes it is the 3400. and it only does it when i start it up.

Last edited by Alero4life : 01-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
inside the dash? hmm... maybe something in the vent?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I had this problem before...it is a munchkins from the Wizard of OZ..I believe that he is part of the lolly pop guild! In order to get him out you have to place a yellow brick road to the middle vent with it leading out of the car. Works like a charm.

Seriously though I've heard some ticking before, and it was usually because I was low in oil. As soon as I filled it back up no more tick. Possiblity?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alero4life View Post
the ticking is comming from like the middle of the dash inside the car, and it is kinda loud. and yes it is the 3400. and it only does it when i start it up.

when you start it, listen outside, under the hood, is it's the same sound, it's lifters
Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
228k on my 3400, no ticks.
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaboveit View Post
228k on my 3400, no ticks.

why do i doubt this severely... ev6en 3400's with 12K miles have lifter tick... it's just something they do
Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
black
Thread Crapper

black is on a distinguished road
ohh, you need to fix the turn signal/wiper unit.

i had the same issue.

i chose to get a new one, easy to get and install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I now know how to chronically please rectums
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Alero4life
GX Member

is it going to do anything if i leave it?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:

well, when it does it, place a light touch on the Hazard button, do you feel the tick with a feeling from the button? if so, replace the button it will eventually stop working
Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

if it truely is in your dash... no, it won't cause any harm. It could be an exhaust shield under the car vibrating. Could be a wire lose from its holder that bouncing off the wire loom its suppose to be in. A small mythical creature stuck in your vent.. or it could actually be lifter tick that sounds like the dash..
Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
black
Thread Crapper

black is on a distinguished road
funny,
my daughter looked at me with panic in her eyes. she had just made a call to her work. she then grabbed another phone, called again, massive look of panic. i had to ask, "what is wrong?" she said "it is just beeping, it wont stop beeping". i called her work, on speaker phone. she did not know what a busy signal was.. i still cant look at her without crackin up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I now know how to chronically please rectums
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by black View Post
funny,
my daughter looked at me with panic in her eyes. she had just made a call to her work. she then grabbed another phone, called again, massive look of panic. i had to ask, "what is wrong?" she said "it is just beeping, it wont stop beeping". i called her work, on speaker phone. she did not know what a busy signal was.. i still cant look at her without crackin up....

i have no idea how this is even remotely related to the topic at hand... but if its true.. thats hilariously idiotic.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #19
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
when my hazards switch was tickin, i thought skrew it but after a while my blinkers stoped workin and my horn and my Cruise Control
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #20
gerry
GX Member

gerry is on a distinguished road
I had this issue also. To fix first disconnect the bat. Unscrew the 4 hex nuts under the steering column. Lower the steering wheel so its level and pull apart the plastic cover. Try not to break it! Next unplug the 3 connectors to the turn signal / wiper switch. There is one screw in the center an a small pin that rubs against the steering wheel. Take note to push this spring loaded pin back to the same position when you reassemble or you will have issues.

Remove the entire module, flip it over and you'll see a set of tracks. There is grease shorting between the tracks. I found a toothpick works well to clean these spaces. Put everything back together any your problem is fixed.

In my case I bent that pin because I didn't push it into the switch so now my horn doesn't want to work. I tried to fix but I think I need to replace the switch. If someone figures that out please let me know what to do.

But the random tick tick is gone!

Gerry
gerry is offline   Reply With Quote