Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to WIALERO
anyone good with bondo?

Got some rust on the bottom of my quarter panel on the driver side reaching into the door i wana get fixed before ass and im located an hour north of milwaukee wi let me no your pric
WIALERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIALERO View Post
Got some rust on the bottom of my quarter panel on the driver side reaching into the door

Pics please.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
U want to fill with bondo? Or are u talking about patch panels
Old 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
U want to fill with bondo? Or are u talking about patch panels

Either one works
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
WIALERO
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Pics please.

Il put up some pics tomarrow when i get off work or try tonight when i get off
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIALERO View Post
Either one works

one way is a hack job and will look like crap and not last. The other is more of the correct way and will look better and last.

I recommend at least patch panel. cut it, fit it, weld it, and then bondo to smooth it and then paint.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
WIALERO
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
one way is a hack job and will look like crap and not last. The other is more of the correct way and will look better and last.

I recommend at least patch panel. cut it, fit it, weld it, and then bondo to smooth it and then paint.

Well i am not great with bondo and i do not have a welder lol and funny thing is your from joliet? I was watchin american pickers and they were there and so i seen a lil bit of your town ha
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Try looking on craigslist for someone that is... there's people that post ads there all the time advertising work that they do.

Couldn't hurt to try.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
WIALERO
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Try looking on craigslist for someone that is... there's people that post ads there all the time advertising work that they do.

Couldn't hurt to try.

True... thanks for that il check it out
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
Trust me, you don't want to do it that way. It isn't what body filler is for and I only do this kind of work if I'm forced to. At my last job my manager would ask customers who wanted this done "would you be upset if the rust came back within a month?" 9 times out of 10 the customer would say they would be. Well.. when you tap and fill rust like that, it WILL come back quickly because the problem has only been covered up, not fixed. We almost never do this kind of work even for the people who say they wouldn't care. Shops that do this get a reputation for doing crap work. And rightfully so.

I remember awhile ago I had to paint one of these tap and fill rust jobs. The body technician did the filler work and primed it. There was no rush on the job so the car sat for 4 or 5 days before I got to painting it and by that time there were already small spots where the rust was pushing out the filler. If its doing that in under a week, imagine what it will look like in 6 months.

Do it if you want to, but know what you're getting into and don't expect much from the repair

Last edited by zman246 : 03-19-2013 at 09:42 PM.
zman246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
k, im going to be "that guy"... as it has been said so many times on here before, a lot of us do not have $1000+ to spend on quality repairs to these cars, that are not worth much more than that... I bought my car for a bottle of tequila, and it looked like swiss cheese... I cut out the rust, used gutter mesh for support and then slapped a ridiculous amount of bondo on it... that was over 2 years ago... it is still holding strong, however the rust has gone through the rest of the car... here are a couple pictures of my shitty job, but I did it myself for $50 and it has lasted...

the last picture was taken last fall when I put the wheels on it... 2 years after doing the patch job posted above...
if you want to fix it cheaply, go for it... take the flack that will be blasted to you on here, and know it is not right, but mine is proof it can work, look like shit, but last for a while... this car was daily driven in all weather as well...
good luck with your decision

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it depends what your looking to get. To me, if you can see the repair from 10 feet back like that, then it should never have been done at all. Why bother if you can still see it? I'm glad you're happy with it though, in the end thats what matters.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I never said I was happy with it... it was a matter of needing a car to drive, and what I could afford... the body was in no was going to pass inspection with visible holes, so they got patched... now if it was my other alero, then it will hopefully be going to a professional before it gets to that point... im just saying, a cheap fix can last, and is what most younger alero owners can afford...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
zman246
GX Member

Ahh I see, luckily we don't have inspections by me.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
WIALERO
GL Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman246 View Post
Ahh I see, luckily we don't have inspections by me.

How much would you charge for somthing like that? It was on the passanger side to but i sanded it before the truck bed liner/rust protection went on it with a few clear coats
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
zman246
GX Member

Sorry, like I said I only do it if I'm forced to. Like a 'do it or you loose your job' kind of thing. I really wouldn't be comfortable doing for someone. Anyways side jobs aren't allowed in my shop and I don't own a compressor so I can't do it at home.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
WIALERO
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman246 View Post
Sorry, like I said I only do it if I'm forced to. Like a 'do it or you loose your job' kind of thing. I really wouldn't be comfortable doing for someone. Anyways side jobs aren't allowed in my shop and I don't own a compressor so I can't do it at home.

Dam lol
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
whatever path you take, make sure the rust is all-the-way gone before sealing it up with bondo. grind/cut off the rusty metal, fit in new patches of metal (be it sheet or mesh...mesh is more pliable for shape if it's a curvy part of the car), and then apply the bondo, and make sure to DA sand the area smooth before you paint, and wetsand the primer before you apply your color...maybe even superfine wetsanding between coats of color and clear coat... depending on the quality you want.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
zman246
GX Member

Albino I right, if you do it then ALL of the rust needs to be cut out or at the very least neutralized somehow. If you dont then it will come back with a vengeance. To make it worse, the rust on the inside of the quarter panel where you can't see it bound to be a few inches higher than the rust that you can see. So you'd likely have to cut 2" or so higher that you'd expect. Sometimes its worse than that, I've taken quarter panels off cars that looked fine or barely rusty only to find out there was a bunch of rust on the inside. You never know until you get in there.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
WIALERO
GL Member

Would a passanger window from a 2 door grand am gt work on my 2door alero?