Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 12-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
Same of the early auto press reviews of the Saturn Ion "redline" (a superchaged version of the Ecotec) look promising.

Has there been any discussion here or elsewhere of the practicality of matching the Saturn setup to an existing Ecotec Alero, or dropping the whole thing in as a package?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
misslindseysue

Mostly unrelated, but I do not like the Ion at all. Bleh.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
Final-Reality

I'm sure it wouldnt be a hard swap, use the mounts from the ecotec alero, and the PCM from the ION... as for the tranny... I thought they were getting that new 6-speed that's used in the Sabb 9-3, so custom mounts might be in order... but it's nothing a decent shop couldnt fab up for you in a day or so...

I heard that supercharged ECOTEC was going to be a crate engine available through GMPP next year sometime... but don't hold your breath, they like to drag their feet on that sort of thing...

Also kinda off topic, but you could probably swap in the turbocharged ECOTEC from the saab 9-3 as well using the same thing... you still hav to worry about the motor/tranny mounts and probably most of the hoses just like with the supercharged engine, but personally I think turbocharged engines have a little more potential if you're going to do heavy modding to it...
Old 12-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
AleroSS

anyone know the specs off the blown saab ecotec off hand, and wouldnt the intake manifold and such just bolt right on, in turn making it easier to bolt on a turbo then doin a swap? (nevermind much cheaper)
Old 12-16-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought those were running the 2.0.. maybe i'm mistaken.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
Final-Reality

All factory forced induction ECOTECs are (so far) destroked to 2.0L
Old 12-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #7
havik

Here's a few links if anyone else is interested in reading:

Modern Racer: 2004-2005 Saturn ION Red Line Coupe : Be sure to check out the Press Reviews and Road Tests

AutoWeek: 2004 Saturn Red Line
Old 12-16-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
Final-Reality

The new 2.4L ECOTEC with variable valve timing, sounds like it's going to be a torquey little engine...
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema20...c_upgrades.php

At the bottom of this page are the specs of the 2.0L ECOTEC that they plan on selling: http://www.j-body.org/gallery/gallery.php?eid=339

A pic of the supercharged 2.0L ECOTEC Crate engine:

A pic of the hydraulic cam phase adjusters on the 2005 2.4L ECOTEC:
Old 12-20-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
geedog66

so besides the supercharger and the intake what else is different from my 02 ecotec
Old 12-21-2003, 12:48 AM   #10
Final-Reality

de-stroked billet crank, forged pistons and rods, the ECU and probably injectors... several things... I really think the cheapest/easiest way if you wanted the supercharger would be to get the entire engine and ECU and drop it into your alero..
Old 12-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #11
99ALERO

the 2.0 Ecotech i believe is the European verson of the US Ecotech. The saab's come with the European version.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #12
Final-Reality

Nah there is no "european version" really... there are several version of the ecotec in both north america and europe. In europe the ECOTEC comes as small as 1.8L, the fact that Saab ships their cars with the 2.0L Turbocharged ECOTEC means nothing... I'm not even positive that engine is available in europe...

The 2.2L version of the ECOTEC in europe has a 10.5:1 compression ratio while in north america it's 10:1...
Old 12-29-2003, 11:11 PM   #13
overdrive75

I am almost positive that all ECOTEC's now sold in the states are 10.5:1 the saturn LS used to be the lower one at 10:1.