Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Making histoghrams work in HP Tuners

in instructed by mmgt.

i know i have all the "pre-programmed" histos. i have another histo that iv been using for maf cal. i almost think i removed it from one of your configs MM and stuck it in mine.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
First, open a config file, do not load a scan, just open config.
Then open Main Table view
RT click on table
The PID list will appear. All of the PIDS will show in that list, but at the bottom there is a tab called "configure user defined". Thats what I want to show you first. Looks like this:

Then when you double click on "Configure User Defined" this table opens

Here is how you get your EGR signal to report NTK/AFX AFR by making a PID

In that same table, click on the little blue question mark and this little gem opens... gives you a list of PIDs and Sensors you can use to create histograms

That shows you how to access the PIDs and Sensors you will want to reference when building histo's, now we will discuss how to use the list and how to plot them resulting in data you can actually use!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Now lets go over to Histograms... Move to the Histogram Tab and open it. To the right of the #12 histo is the configure button, click on it. It will open the available Histos you can program. Here is how you get AFR error plotted against the VE table for example:

Here is the Row Column set up for the VE Error

This should get you started here, ask away and I'll do what I can to help you guys out!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
MMGT1
GLS member

Here is the original write up I used 8 years ago to run my Wideband before buying PRO

**If you find that the gauge and HPT differ you should add or subtract from the 10. I ended up adding 9.8 instead of 10.

volts / (voltage range/Device range) + (Minimum value of device range)=AFR

This breaks down as follows:
Volts = Incoming voltage reading, typically between 0-5 VDC.
Voltage Range = Range of sensor, typically 5
Device Range = Range of AFR that your instrument is set to read. For example if you setup your LC-1 to read 10-20 AFR, then the range would be 10, the AEM's range is 10-20.
Minimum device range = Lowest AFR reading of device. In the example above it is 10.

Using the numbers above, the formula would read as follows:
EGR volts/(5/10)+10
or
volts/(.5) +10 <--play with the 10 value to get HPT to jive with the gauge or logworks.

You don't need to add the custom PID to the table, just the PID or sensor that the custom PID formula uses. When you create your custom PID, be sure to add the units to it.

Part Deux:

Now that you have your custom PID created it's time to use it with some custom histograms. So click on Histograms, then the tool icon to the right of the #8 histogram. o down to histogram 8. We're going to create a histogram to plot the actual AFR measured by the wide band and plot it against the VE table. Reference the first attached pic for what this looks like. Click on "Table" under the X Axis and double click "Primary VE VS: RPM VS: MAP. Then click on PID in the upper right, expand user defined and double click your custom PID (mine is called AEM AC WB). Note how the units automatically turn to AFR if your custom PID is configured for that. You can define the high and low values to determine how colored the cells will be in the histogram using the plot coloring.

*EDIT 5/19/11* 2.22 did not recognize user defined PIDs as AFR meters but 2.23 does so there is no need to create your own AFR Error user defined PID anymore. The built in AFR Error will recognize your user defined WB PID as long as it is defined as an air fuel ratio sensor. So the below paragraph is now moot.
Gets a little trickier now but stay with me. Now we want to be able to plot % AFR error against the VE and MAF table. To do this we need a % AFR Error PID. There is one built into HPT but it does not use your custom WB PID so we need to create a custom AFR % Error PID. So go back to table view, insert, expand user defined, double click "configure user defined" (this is a weird way to get here I know but it's how it is done). See second attached thumbnail for this equation. You will need to replace my PID.7101 (AC Pressure) with your EGR PID #. SENS.121 is the commanded AFR. No need to add this new PID to the table either, one of the commonly logged values already contains the commanded AFR but I can't remember which.

Now we can create histograms to plot the AFR Error against the VE and MAF tables so we can actually do something. Back to histograms, config button, choose a histogram # that you're not using. Lets do AFR Error against VE so same as before go to the X-Axis table and select Primary VE VS RPM VS MAP and then click on PID and choose your custom AFR % Error PID. Should look like the third thumbnail. Also note how I used plot filtering to filter out AFRs greater than 17 so I don't plot any data logged when in decel.

Now we need a % AFR histogram for the MAF table (assuming you are not using speed density). Choose another histogram # you're not using and under the X-Axis Table choose MAF Airflow VS: Output Frequency. The 4th thumbnail has it but it says output (high) because I am now tuning an LS2 with low and hight MAF tables. Ignore the plot filtering too unless you have an LS2. Select your AFR Error custom PID and click commit changes.

You should be set at this point. You just need to start logging. You will need to put the car in open loop to use the wide band or the stock O2's will be getting in the way and you will get nowhere. Also disable the MAF to tune the VE. Plenty of other threads on that stuff.

From HP Tuners Website** 5LEater was the man...lol

Last edited by MMGT1 : 11-17-2013 at 08:36 PM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
so lets be clear... i need to get myself a wideband before going any further with this correct? i have yet to purchase one, its on my radar but just not ready yet whith christmas and all.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
MMGT1
GLS member

The AFR error plotted against VE is using fuel trims as well. You can tune to where PE kicks in with a lot of this stuff

Last edited by MMGT1 : 11-17-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
MMGT1
GLS member

And it will be good to have a well rounded understanding of the program when you do get one. If I may, this is the one I recommend to anyone that will listen...lol

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/357

The sensor they package with the controller is worth 150 on its own

Last edited by MMGT1 : 11-17-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Thanks again Paul for your willingness to share and help us lowly tuner wannabees just starting out.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
MMGT1
GLS member

Buying this program is not cheap and then you have the arduous task of figuring the bloody thing out. I spent the last eight years of my life trying to get a handle on this. I still consider myself the village idiot with this stuff, but I think Ive come far enough that I can help guys starting out with it. On the HP site its is hard to ask questions when the answers need a friggin degree in physics to understand what they said. I think a lot of them forget just how hard the basics are. Those guys do this every day, all day for a living. I am an enthusiast tuner and do it because I enjoy it as much as adding "go fast" parts to my ride...lol I figured I had seen a few here getting into the tuning side and I know I can help guys starting out, probably much better at it than the guys over there to be honest. I remember every painful moment I have endured learning this thing. I do have the Tuning School Basic and Advanced programs behind me and thousands of hours in the program. So, all in all, it would be nice if I could "pay it forward" and help others here, that would make me happy...
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

ok, im sending you a config to see if you can help me out. number 8 is VE-AFR Error, number 7 is MAF - AFR error. neither of which work :\ number 9 iv used to "cal" my MAF, seems to work, check it out, i think its built using fuel trims? what am i missing here?

email sent. thanks much!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

So I did a scan while logging "user defined efr error " hoping that was the problem. I get "unsupported" in the primary table.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
MMGT1
GLS member

Going to take your file to work with me today and see if I cant figure it out. Ill be on tonight and post what I find bud...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
MMGT1
GLS member

Add LTFT+STFT to your table view. Then replace user defined with LTFT+STFT pid in your histogram settings. The one you are trying to use is functional with EIO input only, meaning you need your wideband to use that one. This way you will tune VE with trims, which is fine up to 4000RPM.... kids are taking a while to get ready here...lol

I will add, above 4000rpm you can "follow the trend" to get you close anyway. Once you tune your VE open it in 3D view. Take the trend leading up to 4000rpm and smooth it out or "blend" the remaining part of the table to get you close. Whatever the % change was to 3500rpm to 4000rpm, continue that % change for the rest of the table for now. When you see one fully tuned you will see the same type of trend, just need a wideband to have it accurate after when you can

Last edited by MMGT1 : 11-20-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Ok well iv tuned VE via LTFT already. I'll do ST+LT and see how the table changed. I'm pretty comfortable with the VE table. I just want to make sure I'm calibrating the MAF right (#9) .
Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
MMGT1
GLS member

If you dont have a wideband, then no, that #9 is not going to work. Without wideband, you need to log LTFT+STFT mapped against MAF. Just look at your scan and only tune to where you enter PE mode. Like already said, take the "trend" from 5k-75kHz and apply it to 7500hz and up to keep the trend....
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
If you dont have a wideband, then no, that #9 is not going to work. Without wideband, you need to log LTFT+STFT mapped against MAF. Just look at your scan and only tune to where you enter PE mode. Like already said, take the "trend" from 5k-75kHz and apply it to 7500hz and up to keep the trend....

this will be interesting to see the difference when i calibrate the maf with LTFT + STFT vs. my current number 9 histo
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
MMGT1
GLS member

If you have lots of time to tune, long term trims are going to be really close. If you got enough data from long trims Id expect you to be within a couple percent anyway
Old 11-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

sent you an email btw