Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
shortstar

Hey guys bee a while to busy to do much of anything car related, even talk but I need to change my brakes. The rotors are to badly worn to be saved so I was wondering, all I really need are my new rotors, pads and the brake bleeder pump, right? I've changed the disks on a non ABS sentra spec V and it was no big deal. Any issues with doing it on the alero? Pads hard to get off the calibers? Does the ABS system interfere at all with the process? Just checking, the parts are already here and I wil lbe doing the job tommorow if no one responds telling me I shouldnt have a go at it.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
flalero

Actual replacement of the rotors and pads is quite easy. There is no reason to bleed the brakes unless you crack open a brake line. Two things to look out for, though. First, your rotors may seem like they are permanently attached to the hub, this is just rust. Tap on the outside of the rotor swinging towards the hub to knock the rotor loose. Also, make sure your sliders are not locked up. There are two sliders on each caliper, these are the bolts that go through a rubber grommet. If they are not locked up, pull them out of their sleeves and grease them. If they are locked up, you can soak them in some sort of degreasing agent to get them free. If these are locked up they will not allow the caliper to move evenly and will cause uneven wear to pads and rotors.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:29 AM   #3
bigd6983

i have a question to add to this..........if anyone can go out to their car and let me know where the low pad indications are on each wheel id apprecaite it........like inside bottom or whever it may be.......
Old 03-19-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@Mar 19 2005, 02:29 AM
i have a question to add to this..........if anyone can go out to their car and let me know where the low pad indications are on each wheel ad apprecaite it........like inside bottom or whever it may be.......
there's a little tab on the pad itself that starts to rub the rotor a little when the pad get low, makes an annoying chirping noise. when you hear the brakes start to chirp, they're getting low.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #5
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@Mar 19 2005, 02:29 AM
i have a question to add to this..........if anyone can go out to their car and let me know where the low pad indications are on each wheel ad apprecaite it........like inside bottom or whever it may be.......
My 03 GM service manual show that it goes on the INSIDE at the TOP.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
bigd6983

Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521+Mar 19 2005, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spilner521 @ Mar 19 2005, 12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigd6983@Mar 19 2005, 02:29 AM
i have a question to add to this..........if anyone can go out to their car and let me know where the low pad indications are on each wheel id apprecaite it........like inside bottom or whever it may be.......
there's a little tab on the pad itself that starts to rub the rotor a little when the pad get low, makes an annoying chirping noise. when you hear the brakes start to chirp, they're getting low. [/b][/quote]
lol i know what they do dude.......i just wasnt sure where they go......

and thanks brsexton, is that for both front and rear?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983+Mar 19 2005, 12:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigd6983 @ Mar 19 2005, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521@Mar 19 2005, 12:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-bigd6983
Quote:
@Mar 19 2005, 02:29 AM

there's a little tab on the pad itself that starts to rub the rotor a little when the pad get low, makes an annoying chirping noise. when you hear the brakes start to chirp, they're getting low.
lol i know what they do dude.......i just wasnt sure where they go......

and thanks brsexton, is that for both front and rear? [/b][/quote]
You know, I have read the entire brake replacement chapter, it says nothing about where to place the pad with the squeal sensor on the rear. So I guess just see where yours are now, and replace them that way. I would tell you from my car, but I have rear drum brakes.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
mixmastercase
GL Member

mixmastercase is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mixmastercase
This chirping noise. Mine makes a noise only when I am turning left and only on the front left. As soon as I press the brake it stops. I had one guy tell me it was a CV joint without looking at it and then I went to my dad's dealer and they took it for a drive and inspected it and said it was the brakes.

any other opinions. or can someone tell me who is right.
mixmastercase is offline   Reply With Quote