Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
RisenequinoX
GL Member

RisenequinoX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RisenequinoX Send a message via MSN to RisenequinoX
Speaker Issues

Some time ago i had to take out my rear factory speakers because the paper cones ripped due to my subwoofer. I had just bought new speakers about a week ago and put them in (JBL GTO938) I believe the same problem is happening with this now as when my bass gets a certain level the speakers stop playing and my deck goes into protect mode (the only way to get it working is to unplug the rear speakers and reset the deck) I will hit them with the DMM later after i get off work to see if they are blown, but they still sound good.

When the speakers are not plugged in i can get as loud as i want without any issues...

Is there a way to have the best of both ?? Or do i have to choose 6x9's or bass?

Thank you!

100,000 Mi 3/29/2011
RisenequinoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
sounds like you are overdriving something.... If your headunit stops functioning too...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
RisenequinoX
GL Member

My deck goes into protect mode when it senses a short between wires or a blown speaker. A pinched speaker wire also triggers it. I take out the deck and there are no pinched wires but like I said when I unplug the jbl's it works fine at high volume. I want to know of there is a way to prevent the bass from affecting the speakers.

100,000 Mi 3/29/2011
Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
RisenequinoX
GL Member

So I tested both JBL speakers and they are reading 4 ohms which means they aren't blown. I tested them up to the point where they distort (sub turned off) and they worked fine. I then turned on the sub with the volume about 50% and them turned it up from there and it went into protect mode. What's going on with the speakers?

100,000 Mi 3/29/2011
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Hectic
GX Member

Hectic is on a distinguished road
I would either:

1) Throw away that deck
2) Change your speakers

Reasoning:

1) The deck obviously can't handle the job it is supposed to do, the protect mode is causing you more grief then pleasure.

2) JBL has always come across as a "cheap" manufacturer to me.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
Get an 4 channel amp.
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
short_circutz
GX Member

short_circutz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
2) JBL has always come across as a "cheap" manufacturer to me.

Cheap? Nope. They have "budget" lines like any other manufacturer.

I've been using JBL Pro audio components for over 30 years, and have rarely had an issue when used properly. My home surround is a mixture of JBL pro and vintage JBL home audio, and no issues.

Seems also that a lot of users on this forum like Infinity....owned by the same parent company as JBL. So is Selenium.
short_circutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by short_circutz View Post
Cheap? Nope. They have "budget" lines like any other manufacturer.

I've been using JBL Pro audio components for over 30 years, and have rarely had an issue when used properly. My home surround is a mixture of JBL pro and vintage JBL home audio, and no issues.

Seems also that a lot of users on this forum like Infinity....owned by the same parent company as JBL. So is Selenium.

Infinity and kickers, yo
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
I will be installing 2 infinity 9633cf 3 way speakers in a couple days in my 02 alero. I am also going to run new speaker wire to the deck due to the damn factory monsoon amp setup. When the installation is finished ill see if I have the same problem.

Deck: JVC KD-R80BT
6x9: infinity reference 9633cf
4x6: infinity reference 6432cf
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Those are the exact same speakers I had first in my alero. depending on how you like music, they will last forever, or if your like me sound awesome for about 3 months the start blowing. I personally probably never buy another speaker that isnt an alpine type R
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
If it aint a type r then it aint a tight car
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
brickkk
GX Member

brickkk is on a distinguished road
i had 4 infiniti 6" in front door for 3 years then sold them and were running really good nver had a prob witht them
but still JL audio and rockford fosgate are for the win 3 12" runing on more they should handle for the last 5 years , and they are more then 12 yrs old i bought em used for 60$

Last edited by brickkk : 12-31-2012 at 01:44 PM.
brickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #13
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
If your radio goes into protect mode, there's probable cause that there's metal to metal contact on the rear speakers. I would assume the location of the speaker connectors touches the metal of the rear deck. I had something similar happen to me but in the front door. Whenever bass hit, it would go into protect, with or without subs.

Check into that. If that is the case, then you have to find a way to keep the metals separate.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote