Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Vinman
GL Member

Vinman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vinman Send a message via Yahoo to Vinman
I've got some seemingly common issues...pleas help?!?

ok..here's a noob askin a few questions im sure someone else has answered before..I just haven't had the time to really go back into the archives...anyway....ok...
1. My abs, trac off, and low coolant lights are on, my coolant level is fine, it used to come on then go away, now its on constantly( I noticed whoever had the car before put the cheap non-gm coolant in there, haven't had time or money to have it flushed. My trac control doesn't work, and my brakes used to make it feel like i was skidding on ice when i came to a stop at low speeds, doesn't do that anymore, but im not sure if the abs works, i haven't been daring enough to test it since this problem arose. Also, my buddy who is a mechanic and has been working on gm's for years, tells me to clean out the connections on the hubs...would this work or do i have to shell out the dough for two new hubs?

2.Also, my tpms isn't working, i had a completely flat tire last week and had no idea until someone at work mentioned it to me..I've been having issues with my tires not holding air, I have two snows from a bmw up front, which are fine, but i have two pirellis in the rear which are almost bald, the two from the front(got rid of those) had plugs in em, not sure about the rear...also I did a stupid thing and put green slime in one of the tires and i think that may have messed up the sensor..at least for that wheel, but my other rear tire went flat and i had no notice of low pressure...i know this doesn't replace actually checking the pressure yourself but it has been pretty accurate

3. I have a metal on metal rubbing sound coming from passenger front wheel, i dont think its brakes, because it happens at all speeds, and even breaking, i don't think its the bearing because it doesn't make the typical humm or the wheel doesn't deflect the way it shouldn't. It sounds as though the dust shield (behind the rotor) is hitting it but i don't think thats it..though i haven't had the time to look and see whats up...

4. And lastly, has anyone had any issues with their fuel door not closing completely? I have the one where you actually have to go over to it and open it when you fill up...when i got the car i think it was fine, but recently the door just doesn't want to go flush with the side of the car...is there something soo stupid and easy that im missing or is it actually complicated?

Ahhh...finally done...if anyone has any suggestions...I would be very grateful...cause after seeing the cars on here, i want to start modding, but i won't till she's fixed...Well now im off to work....thanks again all.....
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Vinman
GL Member

ok....i just realized i did a stupid noob thing....I apologize for posting this in the wrong thread....it was early this morning.....sorry guys/gals....won't happen agian i swear
Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
1. Wheel bearing. It goes with question #3. I don't know about your coolant light since I've never seen that problem.

4. Fuel door. Open and close it rapidly and it should go back to being flush. You might have to slam it shut a couple of times. It is just the hinges. I had that happen with my car and rapidly opening and closing the fuel door fixed it for me.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
badgrl

Wheel bearings have speed sensors in them that cause ABS problems. There's lots of info here so try a search.

Metal on metal could be the tab on your brake pad rubbin on the rotor telling you it's time to take a look. Can you take a wheel off and see how worn the pads are?

No coolent light or fuel door issues here.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
zoomie
GX Member

zoomie is on a distinguished road
Wheel bearings, that's my issue right now. I plan to replace one and post a play by play with pictures.....maybe in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
ok..here's a noob askin a few questions im sure someone else has answered before..I just haven't had the time to really go back into the archives...anyway....ok...
1. My abs, trac off, and low coolant lights are on, my coolant level is fine, it used to come on then go away, now its on constantly( I noticed whoever had the car before put the cheap non-gm coolant in there, haven't had time or money to have it flushed. My trac control doesn't work, and my brakes used to make it feel like i was skidding on ice when i came to a stop at low speeds, doesn't do that anymore, but im not sure if the abs works, i haven't been daring enough to test it since this problem arose. Also, my buddy who is a mechanic and has been working on gm's for years, tells me to clean out the connections on the hubs...would this work or do i have to shell out the dough for two new hubs?

2.Also, my tpms isn't working, i had a completely flat tire last week and had no idea until someone at work mentioned it to me..I've been having issues with my tires not holding air, I have two snows from a bmw up front, which are fine, but i have two pirellis in the rear which are almost bald, the two from the front(got rid of those) had plugs in em, not sure about the rear...also I did a stupid thing and put green slime in one of the tires and i think that may have messed up the sensor..at least for that wheel, but my other rear tire went flat and i had no notice of low pressure...i know this doesn't replace actually checking the pressure yourself but it has been pretty accurate

3. I have a metal on metal rubbing sound coming from passenger front wheel, i dont think its brakes, because it happens at all speeds, and even breaking, i don't think its the bearing because it doesn't make the typical humm or the wheel doesn't deflect the way it shouldn't. It sounds as though the dust shield (behind the rotor) is hitting it but i don't think thats it..though i haven't had the time to look and see whats up...

4. And lastly, has anyone had any issues with their fuel door not closing completely? I have the one where you actually have to go over to it and open it when you fill up...when i got the car i think it was fine, but recently the door just doesn't want to go flush with the side of the car...is there something soo stupid and easy that im missing or is it actually complicated?

Ahhh...finally done...if anyone has any suggestions...I would be very grateful...cause after seeing the cars on here, i want to start modding, but i won't till she's fixed...Well now im off to work....thanks again all.....

1. probably just one wheel hub bearing

3. it is your rotors.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
If your ABS and Trac off lights are on, your TPMS won't work either.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Vinman
GL Member

mischeif007, i tried your little fuel door trick, and i'll be dammed it actually worked! Thanks for that tip...as for the wheel bearing, how much time do i have left before i absolutely need to change it....I mean with nh winter around the corner i'd like to fix it before then, but I don't have 170 to play with for the bearing, could just using some quick dry electric cleaner(carquest brand) work ? or do I have to suck it up and be broke....and not be able to get some new shoes....
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Vinman
GL Member

and by shoes i mean tires....
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
AsianAlero
GX Member

AsianAlero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AsianAlero
coolant light is just the senor in the expansion tank thats dirty or what not. so just unplug it and check your coolant from time to time. i unplugged mine.
AsianAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
My glad the fuel door trick worked.

My buddy drove on a bad wheel bearing for almost 4 months but that was a Ford Taurus. When mine started making noise, I replaced it right away because I was commuting every day.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #12
arsenal
V.I.P. Member

arsenal is on a distinguished road
nevermind

Last edited by arsenal : 09-27-2007 at 11:15 PM.
arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
aPIRATEwithADD
GX Member

aPIRATEwithADD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief007 View Post
My glad the fuel door trick worked.

My buddy drove on a bad wheel bearing for almost 4 months but that was a Ford Taurus. When mine started making noise, I replaced it right away because I was commuting every day.

the ford taurus, worst transmissions known to man. my friends always has shit going wrong with it. I drove for 5 months on my bad wheel bearings...the 2 from were shot, but the car still drove fine.
aPIRATEwithADD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
zoomie
GX Member

zoomie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...as for the wheel bearing, how much time do i have left before i absolutely need to change it....I mean with nh winter around the corner i'd like to fix it before then, but I don't have 170 to play with for the bearing, could just using some quick dry electric cleaner(carquest brand) work ? or do I have to suck it up and be broke....and not be able to get some new shoes....

I don't think the brearing is gonna fall apart but you won't have ABS or Tracion control with the lights on. They may be nice to have for the winter.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #15
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Eventully, the bearing will seize, but I suppose that would be after a while. I'd suggest not playing too long with that kind of stuff if they are indeed making noise.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
01silveralero

Quote:
and by shoes i mean tires....

we know our cars are just like people
Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #17
Vinman
GL Member

I haven't really been playing with it too much..the lights have been on for about 2 months i think...luckily my trip to work is less the 10 min away and i never go anywhere...God damn..why do the hub assemblies have to be so darn expensive
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #18
01silveralero

Quote:
I haven't really been playing with it too much..the lights have been on for about 2 months i think...luckily my trip to work is less the 10 min away and i never go anywhere...God damn..why do the hub assemblies have to be so darn expensive

made of gold? errr i mean silver
Old 10-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
chomamma
GX Member

chomamma is on a distinguished road
How do you determine which wheel bearing it is? Is this an assembly or separate parts?
chomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #20
99-alero
GL Member

99-alero is on a distinguished road
i went a good 5 months on 2 bad wheel bearings on my old alero..but i wouldn't recommend it.when i got them replaced the guys at gm were so shocked that my wheels didn't fly off , cause the bearngs were so bad...take ur chances with it i'd say, i've known ppl who have gone a year with a bad bearing and others who went a week
99-alero is offline   Reply With Quote