Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
StoopidAlero
GL Member

StoopidAlero is on a distinguished road
Need help with my bumper

Can anyone help me get this fixed? I have done a little glass work before but Im not confident enough to tackle this one on my own. Chris or Richie, or anyone.. Help me out with a "how to" I need to know what materials to get and everything.

Last edited by StoopidAlero : 02-08-2009 at 04:12 AM.
StoopidAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Dude....

New bumper or junkyard grab...

Oh wait...that is @EDeedadee bumper isn't it...no help here my bad

Have a good day

Last edited by AGT : 02-05-2009 at 02:14 PM.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
StoopidAlero
GL Member

The first picture is from me backing into a pole.. Which never should have been there in the first place! ( Its been there for over 45 years and ive known about it for 20 ) And to top it all off, 3 days after that, the bumper literally took flight on the highway. I got stuck between 2 semi's that were doing 70+ while I was trying to get on the highway. It just sucked the bumper off. Broke the side brackets and everything. I didnt find the bumper until the next day. And it was all in one piece still, just scratched up and has the crack ( second picture ) At least these A3Dee bumpers are tuff as shit!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
StoopidAlero
GL Member

And yea, its "that" bumper.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
Its repairable. Lot of work. First of all, you would need to grind down any cracks, spider webs out of the gelcoat. But do not grind the fiberglass down to where it makes hole. Just the surface layer. Grind that whole section out. Then lay new glass over the whole area. grind/knock down the high spots, sand over the newly glassed area w/ 36 grit paper, bondo, putty, .. primer and ur done.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
Pics of my repair when i had my deer accident.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
StoopidAlero
GL Member

Im wondering if I should just take it to a body shop. Im sure its going to be rediculious though
Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
DO NOT fiberglass it. If you fiberglass it, it will crack over time because its on a flexible part......You need to get a tube of semi rigid plastic repair, a gun for the tube, mixing tips, adhesion promotor, and a spreader. Dish out what you need to repair with 180 grit, DONT v groove it....when you dish it out there is more surface area for the plastic repair to stick to and it wont crack over time if done properly. so dish it out, then blow off the area/wipe it with a dry towel. DO NOT use cleaner on bare plastic cause it will absorb it..yadayadaya...lol. after it is cleaned, apply plastic repair to the area, COVER THE WHOLE AREA your fixing with the plastic repair....then use the spreader to spread it out. Let it dry until it isnt tacky/you can scratch the surface with your finger nail. then sand and repeat steps if needed in order to get it straight. If you need to use the gun again when your done sanding, USE A DIFFRENT MIXING TIP....that plastic repair stuff hardens up in tip so you cant use it again. Also, when you get the plastic repair coming out of the tip, run a 3-4 in bead on a piece of cardboard or something....cause all the shit that is in the tip needs to mix properly before you just got slap it on the bumper. I hope im making sense here cause im trying to type this real fast....lol. Plastic repair is MUCH EASIER and BETTER than fiberglassing or using regular filler to cover that.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
DO NOT fiberglass it. If you fiberglass it, it will crack over time because its on a flexible part......You need to get a tube of semi rigid plastic repair, a gun for the tube, mixing tips, adhesion promotor, and a spreader. Dish out what you need to repair with 180 grit, DONT v groove it....when you dish it out there is more surface area for the plastic repair to stick to and it wont crack over time if done properly. so dish it out, then blow off the area/wipe it with a dry towel. DO NOT use cleaner on bare plastic cause it will absorb it..yadayadaya...lol. after it is cleaned, apply plastic repair to the area, COVER THE WHOLE AREA your fixing with the plastic repair....then use the spreader to spread it out. Let it dry until it isnt tacky/you can scratch the surface with your finger nail. then sand and repeat steps if needed in order to get it straight. If you need to use the gun again when your done sanding, USE A DIFFRENT MIXING TIP....that plastic repair stuff hardens up in tip so you cant use it again. Also, when you get the plastic repair coming out of the tip, run a 3-4 in bead on a piece of cardboard or something....cause all the shit that is in the tip needs to mix properly before you just got slap it on the bumper. I hope im making sense here cause im trying to type this real fast....lol. Plastic repair is MUCH EASIER and BETTER than fiberglassing or using regular filler to cover that.

Billy, its a fiberglass bumper. Its fine to FG over it. Do what richie said,

If you need a list of items to get.

* Fiberglass mat
* Resin
* Sandpaper
* Gel coat
* Evercoat rage gold of rage extreme filler (its a form of bondo but bondo is its own name brand)

if you tackle this yourself and end up creating a hole, just put something behind it and build up the hole. IE cardboard, but put aluminum foil, or painters tape so the FG doesnt stick to it.
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
StoopidAlero
GL Member

Eh.. Im going to go with Richie's plan. I dont think that plastic repair is going to work out so well with this. I know I will need to glass over where i backed into the pole. The part thats cracked is where im confused on how to fix it
Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
StoopidAlero
GL Member

I think Im gonna take my orbital sander and just knock down the whole bumper. Then start with the middle section and start glassing over it. As for the side thats cracked.. Should I use the FG mat, or kitty hair? Or both?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
Billy, its a fiberglass bumper. Its fine to FG over it. Do what richie said,

If you need a list of items to get.

* Fiberglass mat
* Resin
* Sandpaper
* Gel coat
* Evercoat rage gold of rage extreme filler (its a form of bondo but bondo is its own name brand)

if you tackle this yourself and end up creating a hole, just put something behind it and build up the hole. IE cardboard, but put aluminum foil, or painters tape so the FG doesnt stick to it.

oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. i forgot about that..... LOL. well now you know how to do a repair on a plastic bumper

I was wondering why richie fiberglasses.....im like "richie should know better than that!", i couldnt beleive it!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
StoopidAlero
GL Member

LoL. Anyways.....

So just use 36 grit paper for taking down the FG and Bondo? Do I need any other grits for smoothing out the putty or glaze?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoopidAlero View Post

LoL. Anyways.....

So just use 36 grit paper for taking down the FG and Bondo? Do I need any other grits for smoothing out the putty or glaze?

yea, when your all done go over it with 320. when you get the FG down enough, use some 180 until it feels nice and smooth...dont use 36 grit when you get close cause thats a real aggressive grit and your more likely to make a low spot in the FG...then you will have to slap more than needed on it, hehe. after it feels good and you used 180, finish with 320 and its ready for paint
Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
DO NOT fiberglass it. If you fiberglass it, it will crack over time because its on a flexible part......You need to get a tube of semi rigid plastic repair, a gun for the tube, mixing tips, adhesion promotor, and a spreader. Dish out what you need to repair with 180 grit, WRONG!!!!!!! DONT v groove it<<<WRONG AGAIN....when you dish it out there is more surface area for the plastic repair to stick to and it wont crack over time if done properly. so dish it out, then blow off the area/wipe it with a dry towel. DO NOT use cleaner on bare plastic cause it will absorb it.<<<WRONG ONCE AGAIN!!.yadayadaya...lol. after it is cleaned, apply plastic repair to the area, COVER THE WHOLE AREA your fixing with the plastic repair....then use the spreader to spread it out. Let it dry until it isnt tacky/you can scratch the surface with your finger nail. then sand and repeat steps if needed in order to get it straight. If you need to use the gun again when your done sanding, USE A DIFFRENT MIXING TIP....that plastic repair stuff hardens up in tip so you cant use it again. Also, when you get the plastic repair coming out of the tip, run a 3-4 in bead on a piece of cardboard or something....cause all the shit that is in the tip needs to mix properly before you just got slap it on the bumper. I hope im making sense here cause im trying to type this real fast....lol. Plastic repair is MUCH EASIER and BETTER than fiberglassing or using regular filler to cover that.

your half right, where your wrong you will see my WRONG to fix your wrong info

can it be fixed yes, fiberglass matt, resin, brushes, sand paper, a D.A. grinder, but if this is accident related, there might be more damage behind the bumper, so you might be better off going through insurance
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #16
shez
GX Member

shez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shez
you should just get rid of that god awful bumper all together.
shez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #17
StoopidAlero
GL Member

LOL! You might be the only person that thinks its god awful.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #18
StoopidAlero
GL Member

and chris.. what do you mean by Brushes? You mean to spread the FG evenly?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #19
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
imho.. i think that bumper happens to be quite sexy.
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #20
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoopidAlero View Post
and chris.. what do you mean by Brushes? You mean to spread the FG evenly?

He means the cheapest brushes you can find, some 2" throw away brushes at HD or lowes. Also, keep some acetone around so you can reuse the brushes.
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote