Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-28-2004, 02:00 AM   #1
bigd6983

Ok I took the car in to get the body fixed(accident messed up the passenger side rear panel, the door, and a teeny tiny scratch on the bumper.....Called them up earlier, said they couldnt repair the panel and needed a brand new one, they told me it would take about 3 weeks(took it in yesterday, said it would be done may 13th)........Now am I the only one who feels that that's way too long for those parts, if they know what they are doing i would figure a week 1/2 tops.........but maybe im wrong......let me know what you think people(all that was estimated at 2700$ to fix, im not paying a sent though).......
Old 04-28-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
wy3134

Remember you are not the only customer they have....it takes a good week to get brand new parts in and thats if everything falls into place where they order the parts from, plus more than likely they are also having to paint those to match the car, so thats a good 3 days work, three weeks is what it took to get my car repaired for the same things when I was in an accident in december.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
bdyman

ok...first off being in the trade and dealing with insurance companies what they are telling you is that you have to wait for the insurance company to approve the new parts
now that includes the adjustor has to come out and ok the new parts
it`s not the shops fault at all it`s the insurance company
can be allitle more detailed on what excatly got hit on your car???
it`s look like what ur talkin about that the door got it and the quater panle and the bumper right???
now if they can`t fix the door or the 1/4 new parts will be ordered and the adjuster HAS TO approve the new parts it`s a long process so just be patient
:thumbsup:
Old 04-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
sc/alero

as a standard at least in colorado for every $1000.00 allow 5-7 working days on the prilimanary est. this does not include any supplements for what the insurance forgot to allow for. most parts should be readly available so parts should only be 2-3 days out if the quarter panel needs replaced. so the guessamant is not that far off but this is all just a guide line that estimators use, again here in colorado
Old 04-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
bigd6983

hmm, I guess you guys are right but its just a long freakin time, especially when I thought it would only take a week and 1/2 max, and the fact that I cant even rent a car cause im only 21, so i got to drive around an 86 carburated accord........this sucks guys lol
Old 04-28-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
sure it sux..but it could be worse....u could be walkin...
Old 04-28-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
mlcroy20

I got in an accident in Sept. 2002 took the car in on the 19th and had it back by the 28th!!!! That is why it pays to take the car to a bodyshop that the insurance company already has a work agreement with... :thumbsup:
Old 04-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
bdyman

lol.....dealership work from what i seen some times is butcher work
it`s your choice to take the car where ever you want to get it fixed
ever if they say we have a shop that is a drp approved with us
still your choice
even when my ride was stolen i couldn`t do nothing about it i too had to wait until the adjustor came out to look at the car,and i work in a body shop
lol...it`s funny people think that heavy hits can be fixed in a matter of hours sometimes days....it makes me laugh, that people have no idea what is involoved in a heavy hit or for that matter any kind of hit
even the smallest job something could and always does go wrong,but still people call us up and complain to us that`s it our fault the car is taking to long
just be patient and don`t call the shop to complain trust me dude that just piss`s us off and i work slower than...lol......
Old 04-28-2004, 02:36 PM   #9
mlcroy20

^ I agree, that dealership bodywork is usually crap.. but one of my friends worked there and they only had a sunfire and my car in the shop at that time so they did an excellent job on the body work!! Had the circumstances been different or more damage done I would have taken the car to a regular body shop!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I got hit and had $2700 in damage. I took it to the dealer. When it was done it looked great to me but the shop manager didn't like the way it looked and ended up redoing the entire thing. It took them about 2 weeks from the day I dropped it off to the day I drove it home. So I really like the body shop at my dealer.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #11
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

^u got a good dealer then...lots of dealers around here don't give a poop about how the job really looks...as long as it's better then how it looked before and they get paid, they're happy...
Old 04-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #12
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I forgot to add too that the dealer sprung for a rental when they did it a second time.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #13
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

holly crap...can't ask for better then that...wish my dealer was that nice <_<
Old 04-28-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
bigd6983

I took it to a place that my insurance recomended, I had to call the guy and find out what was going on, he was like ill give you a call later(same day I dropped off) and give you an estimate on how long it will take, I had to call him the next night and caught him right before he was going to leave and find out the info. the one thing we want when we drop off our car is updates, sure it sucks, but let us know whats going on, then you wont have so many people bitchin, you will still have some but not as many.

plus he asked if i wanted to yank out my amps, I pulled my box out so nothings in the trunk, the amps are mounted to the back seat, and he acted like they were going to be in the way, no wiring or anything is in the way, sometimes people who are suppose to know what they were doing, DONT!

when i took my HU into get installed(didnt wanna do myself, was afraid to break the trim because I didnt know how it came off, no haynes then)......he was askin me questions about wiring, about which wire goes where, thought my speakers were blown yada yada.....sometimes its scary once they get ahold of your ride, thats why I like doing all my work cause you know every nook and cranny.......

and damn you do have a nice dealership jamcllw, Mine was pretty cool, but I dont think they would go to that extent...........lucky lol
Old 04-28-2004, 03:34 PM   #15
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
my accident: July 19 (VERY early saturday morning)
Collision place got my car: July 21 (Monday)
I got my car back: August 3 (Friday)

Only 2 weeks, but I was sort of rushing them, so when I got it back, the paint was tacky (like it had only 10 hours to dry, rather than the recommended 24 hours). LOL
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #16
blueyezalero

I had an accident with my truck, about 6000$ worth of damage. It was still drivable so I took it to my insurance they did the estimates there and I drove it to a bodyshop. it was done in a week. I had another car that someone backed into with their truck. It was still drivable so i took that oen to the adjustors, got the estimate but the adjustor had to go to the bodyshop because they didn't look under the car. The adjustor didn't get out there for 3 weeks, so it took that car about a month. Some good advice if your're ever in an accident and it's your fault make sure you have rental car on your insurance. I found this out the hard way and I went to a place that gave you a "rental" I think these places get rejected cars from hell. :thumbsup:
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06 PM   #17
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@Apr 28 2004, 11:18 AM
so i got to drive around an 86 carburated accord........this sucks guys lol
OH LORD....I feel your pain. I had an 86 Accord as a first car. Those things are SLOW. Although it did last until 300k.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #18
bdyman

Only 2 weeks, but I was sort of rushing them, so when I got it back, the paint was tacky (like it had only 10 hours to dry, rather than the recommended 24 hours). LOL
and what did the shop not have a baking booth or somehting???
even if the car was painted the night before it still would be dry,tacky to sand on but dry
Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #19
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Just to clear that up: It wasn't tacky to the point where my fingerprint stayed, but it definitely wasn't slick.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #20
bdyman

well like iam saying, it should be dry,even if it wasnt baked
iam thinking there might be something wrong
how long has it beed since ya got the car back???
if it`s like a week and not dry yet ya might want to take it back
find out what paint system they use
i know that ppg makes omni clear and that stuff dries with in 2 hours of last coat
there might be something wrong with the clear