Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

shonky_alero is on a distinguished road
problem

So just a few minutes ago I was driving up the highway an it seemed like my car just lost all power it would just bog and then it shut off so I pull over keep in mind its freezing rain I turn the key off then turn it back on and the motor is just shaking, tried this a few times same thing. I get out pop the hood, I have a wai so ruling out water in the filter, see nothing shut the hood get back in she fires right up. Im thinkin maybe water got on a sensor somewhere but not sure.
shonky_alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Check to make sure all the intake piping is tight.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

its tight
Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
slvralero420
GX Member

slvralero420 is on a distinguished road
check the spark plug wires and plugs them selves. What engine do you have too?
slvralero420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ That's what I was thinking

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvralero420 View Post
check the spark plug wires and plugs them selves. What engine do you have too?

2.4 ill check em here n a bit
Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

It seems every winter its just one thing after another the other day I was driving home from work and my driver side window broke off the track so now I have it rigged to stay up until I get some time to fix it
Old 12-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

well I think I know what my problem is. Its the fuel filter got a new one sittin at my parents house I knew it was goin bad because sometimes if I dont have alot of gas its a real mother to start it will just crank for like 10-15 minutes before itll start I just didnt have time to put it in when it was warm now its a blizzard outside so im just gonna have to pay to get it changed.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

well I got the pump put in yesterday and thought everything was solved. I work nightturn so I didnt get a chance to drive it until I went to work and on my way there it died again. twice on the way there and like 6 times on the way back and it finally threw a code. I took it to auto zone and the computer says its either a bad maf or oxygen sensor. Im still thinking its the fuel pump but im gonna get the sensors checked before I have to go buy a fuel pump. Thanks for the no help I got.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
CarGodz
GX Member

CarGodz is on a distinguished road
If you run your car low on fuel a lot (letting it get below a 1/4 of a tank before fill up) then you should have the fuel filter changed out every 30-40 thousand miles. The fuel pump starts picking up crud that settles in the bottom of the tank and clogs up the filter faster and this is a HUGE strain on the fuel pump.
Also when this happens you will be getting less fuel and you will be running the car lean (air/ fuel mixture... especially if you're running a cold air intake) and this is bad because you can foul out plugs, and burn out sensors (like the MAF and Oxygen).
So by now it could actually be a combination of things.
Best suggestion is that when you get everything fixed is to treat a 1/4 of a tank as if it were Empty and fill up. Then you can go another 10-20 thousand miles before having to worry about the fuel filter (between every 50-60K miles).
Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
ya, letting the gas tank get almost empty can wreak havoc on the filter. there was a couple times i actually stalled out the car from lack of gas, and numerous times it was just about empty. one day i changed the fuel filter, and it literally looked like oil was coming out if it. the gas was completely black, which was all sorts of shit it picked up from the bottom of the tank. so now i do like cargodz says, and treat a 1/4 tank like empty. good luck with your problem.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

I always have a full tank because of this problem. Only like 1 or twice have I even let it get below a half a tank. When I bought the car the guy I bought it from told me it would do it to him every know and then and he said he thought it was the filter and had an extra one in the trunk I just needed to put it in. Well I let it go untill yesterday and I think it just killed my pump.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

well the plug in the number one cylinder was drenched with oil. Valve seal possibly? Should have never put that stupid synthetic in finds all your leaks way to fast gonna go get regular oil put in and some lucas leak stop and see how long I can make it until I need a new head.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #14
slvralero420
GX Member

slvralero420 is on a distinguished road
If the plug was drench in oil, I don't think a stop leak is gonna work, just seems like too much leaking. Is your car puffing blue smoke when its running? this sounds like the head gasket, a camtower gasket, or a valve seal, whatever it is it requires pulling the head or cam towers off to check it.
slvralero420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #15
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

no smoke and im not really losing oil I think its the synthetic. Yes the valve seal needs replaced but synthetic will find any leak so im just gonna put some regular oil in n some stop leak should work miracles.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
shonky_alero
MuRdErD OuT

Finally got it fixed ended up being the fuel pump. I also got the two oxygen sensors changed that were bad got new plugs new ignition coils new fuel filter and new fuel pump. When I got my car back from the shop one of my turn signals were burnt out and one of my hids stopped working so gotta get that fixed now but no biggie. Thank you guys for your input.