Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
IAC replacement

Well as I had some problems with my idle that made me think my IAC was bad, I changed it. Now my Rpm doesnt fluctuate like it did before between 1250 rpm and 1500, but it is at a constant 1450 when the car is hot.

Is there a special procedure when replacing the IAC that you have to do?

With my mech, we checked for vacuum leak and could not find something that would look like it, sprayed brake cleaner on the intake flange, nothing happened. All hose connected, no holes.

My guess is that the car somewhat "learned" the past position of the previous IAC and now makes the car run at the same pace. I'm going to try something I saw on the net yesterday where they said you have to disconnect the TPS sensor while the car is running so it only runs on the IAC and recalibrate to its default position. I'm going to try also disconnecting the battery.

Any advice?
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
do what you said first, also watch this video, i know its a saturn, but its the same thing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebWxk...eature=related
only it idles correctly in neutral and goes up while rolling in gear
Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
agh wish you had HPTuners... you can see the target idle RPM, the IAC position, TPS, etc...
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
IAT sensor

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
When you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, doesn't that revert the ECU back to a stock configuration and throw away the tuned data?

I was under the impression that it would revert it back to a learning mode, allowing the car to re-learn what it needs to adjust to under normal circumstances. If it's set to the old sensor, then this would solve your issue.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
IAT sensor
and you could see what the IAT sensor was reading with HPTuners

if the IAT fails it'll think the IAT is -40F. i don't think that affects the idle rpm tables though, i don't have my laptop on me.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Vinalero
GLS member

I doubt the IAT regulate the Idle. I just clearly have more air that goes through the engine when my foot is off the gas than normal.

Meadus, I was thinking the same, lets just hope it works.

Ion, just ship me your HPtuner
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

do a boost leak test, hook up a pressurized air source to the throttle body and listen for leaks
Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Vinalero
GLS member

Good advice Ion, I should try that. My mech also told me something about a smoke machine they use to see where there are leaks, but he doesnt have it at home

Quote:
Old 12-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

ya you can usually just hear and feel the leak(s) but the UV reactive smoke is even better, it glows

i'm on my way to have another boost leak test done. we used it at speed industry to find my brake booster leak and "fixed" that but my problem came back a while later after driving, sucked, must've leaked again or something. we'll find out tonight.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Vinalero
GLS member

Ok well update, I went out, took the foot of snow off the car and also around it. Started the car, brought it to operating temperature, idling around 1300 Rpm and oscillating from 1300 to 1400 slowly.

Then with the engine running, I unplugged the TPS and the idle came down to 1000 and variating slightly. So I guess I have my answer, its either the TPS that is bad, or (and I hope its not) when I installed my Supercharge, I tried to make the TPS wires longer by digging deeper in the harness to make some room for the TPS wires to reach the TPS at his new location (Those who installed the SC kit will know what I'm talking about). When cutting the tape around the harness, I accidently cut the TPS wires, both of them. SO I had to effing dig deeper in the harness, splice the cut wires, connect them back with those of the connector. But I didnt solder them in, just twisted them back together, I put some new electrical tape tightly on top of them and called it a day. I just hope no corrosion got in there.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
I bet you any money it has something to do with those wires not being spliced, or sealed properly. I've had a similar issue with exterior lighting. Also, when you install a new IAC, you're supposed to find somewhere you can drive at 40mph for a couple of miles straight without stopping. When you stay at that speed, your computer will "relearn" the new IAC setting and it should run alright after that. I was having that exact same problem on a 3.1 in a Grand Am, did the 40mph thing for two miles, and she was as good as new.