Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
alero recall

Got a letter today on the mail stating the alero recall that's going on. THEY are not even replacing the lock and tumbler. It's just two new keys that hold less accesories on them. I figured the tumbler would get replaced
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I heard it gets replaced. Idk.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
03Alerosil
GL Member

I would think with new keys. I sure hope so mainly cuz mine is sticky and the key is loose in it.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I can pull my key out while car is running
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
03Alerosil
GL Member

Oh shit that's bad. Mine probably ain't far behind. Gm can't make an ignition switch to save its ass. My brothers 03 cavalier had issuss too until I replaced it.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

eh, it doesnt bother me. never had problems with the car randomly shutting off.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
eh, it doesnt bother me. never had problems with the car randomly shutting off.

Yea me either. My switch works fine. Just sticks when turning ignition on.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I also got my recall notice today. I want to see pics of somebody else's before I go in for this non-fix.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Recall Info

You can go to www.recalls.gm.com to see any active recalls. Here's the one for this specific problem. In 14 years I have never experienced this, but I guess I'll go in for service.

Quote:
GM Recall #:
N140350
NHTSA Recall #:
14V400
Date Issued:
Aug 12, 2014
Recall Title:

UNINTENDED IGNITION KEY ROTATION

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2000-2005 MY Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo, 1997-2005 MY Chevrolet Malibu, 1999-2004 MY Oldsmobile Alero, 1998-2002 MY Oldsmobile Intrigue, 1999-2005 MY Pontiac Grand Am, and 2004-2008 MY Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles. If the key ring is carrying added weight and the vehicle goes off road or experiences some other jarring event, it may unintentionally move the key away from the run position. If this occurs, engine power, power steering and power braking may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash.

Safety Risk Description:

The timing of the key movement out of the run position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes. Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that customers remove all items from their key ring, leaving only the vehicle key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from the key ring.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to install two key rings and an insert in the key slot or a cover over the key head on all ignition keys, free of charge.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
03Alerosil
GL Member

Yea that's a great fix. How abou replacing the tumbler too
Old 09-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
sleepyalero
GLS member

wonder how that fixes it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
03Alerosil
GL Member

I'm wondering the same thing. May have to talk to my local gm dealer and see what it is all about.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
They say the added weight of other keys helps initiate the turning so by installing this ring over the ignition key it prevents other keys being on the ring and the detachable key ring is to be detached so you only have the ignition key.... stupid and cheap fix but it removes the liability to gm as they have (or are at some point) providing a solution to the causing of the problem.... basically they're saying it's user error not manufacturer but rather than risk more law suits they offer a solution....

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
illzwhy
GX Member

illzwhy is an unknown quantity at this point
Gosh I got the same recall letter. GM recall 14350. Sounds like they are just gonna add some cover onto the keys we have now. That is lame. I called the nearest GM Dealer (a Chevy dealer) and they said they didn't hear anything about this recall and will call me back? Doubt they will, I shall call them again later.
illzwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
meh no surprise

Yeah well we are talking about a company who's fix for the hazard light issue was to voluntarily replace the hazard with the exact same part and call it a fix. No surprise their jobbing us here too.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I just got 3 recall letters for all mine today!!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Got mine on Thrusday.

It's a baid aid fix at best, and I have 7 keys for mine

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
03Alerosil
GL Member

It's a bullshit fix. effing GM. Saw on news 54 deaths linked to faulty ignition switches. My wife's car has the same switch too and now it's giving her issues as well. I'm about ready to trade them both in on fords
Old 09-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Got mine on Thrusday.

It's a baid aid fix at best, and I have 7 keys for mine

Just in case the ex kept one?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Lol I haven't gotten one for the two I own yet... The simple solution is just keep your key alone in their eyes that's simply the dumbest thing I have seen for a recall letter

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote