Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
ACDelco PF47 v PF52

Hey crew!!

I was strongly thinking about using a PF52 filter on my next oil change. In fact, I'm going to do it. The PF52 is longer and has only 1/4 increased volume than the PF47. This will also be for my mom's 2002 Cavalier (2.2 OHV LN4)

After reseaching this, there are guys that have used this filter on 3100 Malibu's and one case of a 2000 Sunfire with the 2.2. They fit the block just fine, they are longer than the 47 and the guy with the Sunfire (his wife's car) said that it's easier to take it off than the 47 due to the extra lenght.

I use 5 quarts in my car and 4 in my mom's. The 3400 claims a 4.5 quart oil change and the Cavy claims a 4 quart. Not going to change the voulme of oil I use (or should I for my mom's car?)

The reason is I refuse to use the shitty "PF-47E" filters that are made in China. I do like the quality of the American made ACDelco filters more than any other filter I've seen.

Thoughts?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
You've done filtration vs. flow tests on them? Reliability testing? You can't just collectively call everything made in China shitty. With ACDelco being quite a large company, it's naive to think that they are unable to maintain quality control in another country as well as our own.

Garrett has many locations where they manufacture their turbochargers. Mine could've been made in Mexico or any other foreign nation. They are still under exacting measures and precisely monitored for proper QC..
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
There was another thread called "oil filters" that was examining something like this as well. With the PF52 go on a 3.4 as well? I was also looking into gettins something along these lines as well: http://www.autoanything.com/oil-filt...A2138A0A0.aspx
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
You've done filtration vs. flow tests on them? Reliability testing? You can't just collectively call everything made in China shitty. With ACDelco being quite a large company, it's naive to think that they are unable to maintain quality control in another country as well as our own.

Garrett has many locations where they manufacture their turbochargers. Mine could've been made in Mexico or any other foreign nation. They are still under exacting measures and precisely monitored for proper QC..

QFT. I've been getting quite annoyed with the "USA products are infinitely better than foreign crap" attitudes lately.

Frankly speaking, just because it says "made in the USA" doesn't mean its parts aren't Chinese, and assembled here, or vise versa.

Huge companies lie about everything. It costs them nothing, and they make more money.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Great response Ion, and I agree 100%
Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i ran the pf52 for years, now i run the amsoil equivalent to the pf52.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I like fram grippy filters.......lol
Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Well your engine hates you...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
I use the Auto-Xtra filters myself mostly because it cost me $3 for the filter at work
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
Well your engine hates you...

No it doesn't, I rescued it from a lonely life in a junkyard! I gave it a second life!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
then you stabbed it in the heart by using a fram filter
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
mfuller

Usually I can get either a Mobil 1 or K&N filter on sale when bundled with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge. Advance Auto or O'Reilly's tends to run a special every 6 months or so.....
I really don't think the longer filter makes that big of a difference - I have a smaller K&N filter on there now just because it gives me a bit more room to work.
I'm not a huge fan of the E-core filters, and their shortcomings are documented elsewhere if you search around.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
No it doesn't, I rescued it from a lonely life in a junkyard! I gave it a second life!!!

have you ever cut a fram filter apart? cut one open and compare the insides to amore expensive filter like the federal ones we use at work. all metal insides compared to cardboard in the fram.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

I don't care with this motor......
Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I too would never touch a FRAM filter unless using it for a baseball. Too many horror stories from them.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
QFT. I've been getting quite annoyed with the "USA products are infinitely better than foreign crap" attitudes lately.

Frankly speaking, just because it says "made in the USA" doesn't mean its parts aren't Chinese, and assembled here, or vise versa.

Huge companies lie about everything. It costs them nothing, and they make more money.

Look inside an "E" Chinese filter and an America made non "E" filter and reanswer

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
Quality control. Thanks for making me laugh.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

I guess if it doesn't take over 2 years to produce a single part, it's not quality.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
oh crud...I've never used anything but fram or STP. What is the proven filter?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I guess if it doesn't take over 2 years to produce a single part, it's not quality.

That doesn't have any relevance to the amount of bad parts I have received this year. Honestly, I don't know if you are trying to say I have taken 2 years to do something or just making a random post for your post count.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote