Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Suspension Info

I am sure this thread will ignite some anger but I assure you, I thoroughly searched. Everything pertaining to this topic is that has been posted is curtailed to a specific need/desire. So I had to ask not only for the general information of it, but what advice I could receive to suit my specific situation.

I have seen where Ion wanted suspension for a roadway race, I know of another member that does the rally cross and requires certain specs for that and there was another that just wanted something cheap and functional. A lot of threads are old and the same products are not offered (like eibachs from what I understand).

So here goes. After my rims and new tires the remark I have received most often is to lower my car. So I am interested in what setup would suit me best. Money is not an issue, performance is handy but look and practicality are key in my search. I have looked on aleromod.com upgrades by Ion but I would like to hear if there are other options available that are new or unmentioned.

Other things I am curious about is with lowering springs, what else on the suspension should be completed in conjunction? Struts? I read in another post about mounts going bad if you can hear squeaking (which I do). I plan to have anything and everything installed professionally because I do not have the tools nor do I desire the risk with compressing springs.

I'll take it all please.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Dropzones on KYB AGX's with new mounts, do an alignment and call it a day
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
I have canuk motorsport lowering springs (2'') on KYB GR-2's and all new mounts. love the ride... not honda civic stiff
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
kROntast1c
GX Member

kROntast1c is on a distinguished road
How much do dropzones "drop"?
kROntast1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
new mounts, KYB AGX's and either sprint, or H&R, I'm on sprints now but someday I want H&R
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
while we're on the topic... how is it possible that if we lower from 4x4 height, the ride gets more stiff and less comfy.

yet "luxury" cars come already that low, and are very comfy (more than our stock ride is) to ride in? Why is there no option to lower, and maintain a soft ride?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Ttop191
GLS member

when we get shorter springs we need to compensate for the distance by increasing the stiffness, if we were to have springs with low spring rate (softer ride) the struts would bottom out causing damage, on a luxury car the struts aren't as large which is why the car sits lower in the first place, while maintaining a "stock style" soft ride.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
who needs floaty and soft rides down the highway. i like feeling the road and the bumps...

now if only i had some softer seats...

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
Dropzones on KYB AGX's with new mounts, do an alignment and call it a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
new mounts, KYB AGX's and either sprint, or H&R, I'm on sprints now but someday I want H&R

Now for some compare and see: for struts GR2s and AGXs are recommended and both are made by KYB. If they are both made for our cars, what is the difference between them. I will have to do some more personal research on them later but I would like to hear your takes on them.

According to Sleepr H&R is better than sprints. Ttop steadfastly recommends dropzones. Again: what are the pros and cons of each and reasons for their suggestion?

Thanks ahead of time for this guys. Liking the info. Wife is yelling at me to get off the computer lol.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
mfuller

I started out with H&R on Koni double-adjustables, then went to Eibach Race springs (on coilover Konis), then Intrax on KYB GR-2, then a new set of single-adjustable Konis with Eibach Pro-kit, then the Eibach Pro-kit on FE3 struts, then finally H&R on KYB AGX.
The H&R/AGX combo is the best I've found of parts that are readily available.....but I miss my first set of Konis (thinking of having Truechoice do another set).
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Ttop191
GLS member

The AGX's are specifically made to handle a drop where as the GR-2's are more of a stock replacement, both will work, but the AGX's should last longer. As for springs, I'm not steadfast to drop zones, i just know a lot of people have them and are satisfied with the result
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
The AGX's are specifically made to handle a drop where as the GR-2's are more of a stock replacement, both will work, but the AGX's should last longer. As for springs, I'm not steadfast to drop zones, i just know a lot of people have them and are satisfied with the result

Important Note here... there are PLENTY of members who have used GR2 for a extended period with a drop, with no problems.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
but I miss my first set of Konis (thinking of having Truechoice do another set).

Is that the set I have?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
Is that the set I have?
You have the ones that were made into coilovers, right?
Then yes, I miss them......although not in coilover form (way too stiff for pock-marked streets).
The damping from the Koni inserts was glorious, though.
Those were some seriously expensive coilovers.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Sounds like H&R and AGXs then. What are the top rated sites to get a good deal on these? Or is it a direct merchant buy?

Having gone through so many setups, Matt, I appreciate the input. I have no problem with the more expensive products. I find you pretty much get what you pay for.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
mfuller

You can get the H&R springs from the Tire Rack (look under Grand Am; they fit the Alero too) for $231.00.
The AGX struts can be had from shox.com for $535.00.

You may be able to find both items cheaper elsewhere, but they are both kinda hard to find in-stock.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i run and autocross on intrax and agx. you can get the agx for less than 500 on ebay.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #18
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
If money is no issue have Tien custom make you springs to your specs... they can pretty much do whatever you want. And it's not terribly expensive compared to other alternatives.

post number 666
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #19
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
while we're on the topic... how is it possible that if we lower from 4x4 height, the ride gets more stiff and less comfy.

yet "luxury" cars come already that low, and are very comfy (more than our stock ride is) to ride in? Why is there no option to lower, and maintain a soft ride?

That's what happens when you pay 50K for a car

A lot of the luxury cars have added stuff in the suspension. I know that the difference in the Navigator and Expedition rear struts is air bags. Don't know exactly how they are set up, never worked on one, but I know that's something Ford likes to do. I also know roughly that Infiniti and Nissan struts are different set-up's internally (at least back in 2005) but don't ask me how. If I was still working at a shop part-time, I probably could answer all these questions better

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Matt, do you like the AGXs so much because they are adjustable? How has that worked out for you?

I was looking at them on tirerack.com and they have a KYB strut plus assembly. Looks like a coil on a rod. Didn't know if I could just buy the AGXs and that does it for the struts or are there other parts required.

Are mounts an aftermarket deal or just simple stock?

AGXs $560 dollars shipped at tirerack.

For the H&R springs are there two different sizes for the front and back? On their website they have that they fit the Alero but not on tirerack, and H&R springs do not appear for a grand am either unless there is a particular year and model that needs to be used?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 01-05-2011 at 06:51 PM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote