Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
shane3221
GX Member

shane3221 is on a distinguished road
Dash recover?

Ok so we all hate how our dashes peels up and crinkles so I am going to fork out the money and buy some red and black alcantara fabric to recover it in but need to know how many meters I would need to do the full dash. I'm doing this payday so I will post some pic up soon and let you all know how it is to work with and how it looks. This isn't my first recover of a dash I used to work at a custom shop so it should come out decent .
shane3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Should be 2 to 3 yards. Measure up your dash, and get the 54" wide fabric.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
mfuller

How are you going to do this? Are you removing the entire dash from the car?
I ask because I really want to get mine re-upholstered. I don't care for dash caps and I really don't like the carpet covers.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
shane3221
GX Member

It will be recovered in the car. The piller covers defrost cover and all the dash trim will be removed along with the steering wheel for easier access. And I totaly agree with you on dash caps and the carpet cover looking hideous and cheap. Tools needed to do are fabric with out a doubt lol, heat gun, xacto knife an new blades don't use old ones they will tear more the cut, steering wheel puller, a soft squeegee one that won't leave marks,, puddy spreader to get fabric into creases and corners, and a lot of patience. As for the glue don't get the cheap shit.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
shane3221
GX Member

Oh and also cover every thing up u dont want glue on.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
There better be a thread with pics through this process.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
shane3221
GX Member

There will be I'm going to make. How to. Minus the removal of the factory vinal that's already been removed takes about an hour and 45 min to remove and clean the old padding and glue off. Just scrape off the padding as best you can and then use paint thinner and a scrub brush to remove glue.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
There better be a thread with pics through this process.

Ditto
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3221 View Post
There will be I'm going to make. How to. Minus the removal of the factory vinal that's already been removed takes about an hour and 45 min to remove and clean the old padding and glue off. Just scrape off the padding as best you can and then use paint thinner and a scrub brush to remove glue.

Post pic of dash now.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Unhappy Doh!!!!

I' am sooo lucky the one person who owned my car before me was an anal-retentive lady with OCD about keeping her car clean 91,000 miles 2001 model the interior looks mighty nice for 12 year old leather. Not a rip, scuff or ding in any of the seats, door panels or the dash. I do use a window shade during the spring and summer anytime the cars exposed to direct sunlight really. I also use leather conditioner and have my car interior detailed once a year.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
How are you going to do this? Are you removing the entire dash from the car?
I ask because I really want to get mine re-upholstered. I don't care for dash caps and I really don't like the carpet covers.

My local Gm dealer has one nos tan dash in stock for only $379
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

My dash has yet to ripple.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yeah I want to see a how-to on this as well

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
My local Gm dealer has one nos tan dash in stock for only $379
Crap.....I may just have to pick that up.
Any way you could PM me their info?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Crap.....I may just have to pick that up.
Any way you could PM me their info?

Done. Yeah I was really tempted to buy and hoard it because my old dash had one little imperfection above the glovebox that nobody could see but me lol
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
shane3221
GX Member

I will post up a pic after work tomorrow just got off work and its to dark for a decent pic. Just to get your opinions though.... Red on the main dash and black on the tan above the glove box or vise versa? I was kinda leaning towards red for the main dash but unsure of how it would look with my tinted windows.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #17
shane3221
GX Member

Ok so got the dash pics this morning sorry for the quality I'm using my phone.

And for who ever wanted to see the se skirts on sorry cant remember I'm still half asleep lol. Damn I need to do the body work and get her painted. Lol thinking maybe get a few cans of black plasti dip for now just to make every thing match haha. At least I can peel it off when I go off when I go to paint this summer.

Last edited by shane3221 : 04-18-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
shane3221
GX Member

The bad part is I am the only person in my area that has anything at all do e to his bitch. I wish more ppl around here would mod there's. next step is to de badge front bumper and I was thinking of either paying out the ass for a sunroof or working a nice slim roof scoop on and molding it in.

Last edited by shane3221 : 04-18-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #19
scouseman
GX Member

scouseman is on a distinguished road
Your dash isn't that bad. I've got a stain on mines all the way across below the windshield. It almost looks like someone wiped it with bleach. It's in a spot that's awkward to work on as well. Someone said to the replace the whole dash, but I'm thinking about trying some interior touch up paint first (http://www.expresspaint.com/). As far as the colors, I would prefer if my Alero dash was tan, like the upholstery of the car. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of paint did you use on yours?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140325_001.jpg (30.0 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by scouseman : 04-18-2014 at 09:19 AM.
scouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #20
sleepyalero
GLS member

The pics of his dash he removed all the fabric. That's why you think it doesnt look that bad.

As for those SE skirts. Doesnt look terrible honestly. Needs to match the paint though. But I kinda like.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: