Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
howie2336
GX Member

howie2336 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to howie2336 Send a message via Yahoo to howie2336
Moonroof installation question.

I can't pass this up for $25. The question is; is it worth buying and having installed or is it gonna be a potential headache?

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/pts/2861913353.html
-1998 Grand Prix GTP Daytona 500 Edition Pace Car
howie2336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
possible headache... you need the roofskin too with the framing under(framing of the roof isn't the same, it's been reinforced to accomodate the sunroof)... also the inner trim with the rubber gasket....

basically, you can't just cut a hole and fit it... plus you won't have the roof drain tube installed in your car...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
honestly, id pass. alot of work just for a sunroof.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
chop the top DONE lol

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
emncfi
GX Member

emncfi is on a distinguished road
Even if you had the frame, it will be near impossible to find a shop willing to do the work
1994 Stealth RT twin turbo, (1 of 1000)
2001 Mercedes SLK roadster
2006 Mercedes E55 AMG
emncfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
dealer might.... but will charge big money.

just do this......

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
i did that on my bronco II to install a "pop-up" sunroof.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
dealer might.... but will charge big money.

just do this......

Drugs really slow you down...

You can installed a sunroof by pros at place like Duro -->http://www.durovitresdautos.com/ or Lebeau -->http://www.lebeau.ca/Lebeau-Vitres-d...-R.3213.0.html

Must have some thing similar in the US , a sunroof with only a tainted windows & open up & close manually these should be "cheap" to install
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
With all the crap that has to be done to make it work, i'd say it's not worth it.. I'm quite sure you have to relocate your dome light and then install the switch as well... Plus what ever fabrication is needed to fit the damn thing in there.. Yeah sure you may only pay $25 for the glass + assembly, but you'll end up spending waaay more afterwards.. Save your money for other mods... You'll be happier.. I mean its just glass on top of your roof... Its just gonna be a hassle and if its not done right you're just gonna hate yourself afterwards. Plus it's just one more thing you add to your car that you have to worry about breaking.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I understand the want...I used to have one and then went without and its a nice feature. It really is more luxury than functionality, unless you smoke in your car.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie2336 View Post
I can't pass this up for $25. The question is; is it worth buying and having installed or is it gonna be a potential headache?

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/pts/2861913353.html

a sunroof was on my list of installs. you will need the interior headliner, switch, and run wires for everything. none of that is to bad, the problem is cutting the hole. a local shop quoted me $600 to put it in, after that I checked out you tube. it looks simple in theory... then you have to seal all that in place and relocate the dome light.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
a sunroof was on my list of installs. you will need the interior headliner, switch, and run wires for everything. none of that is to bad, the problem is cutting the hole. a local shop quoted me $600 to put it in, after that I checked out you tube. it looks simple in theory... then you have to seal all that in place and relocate the dome light.

I am only asking because they have the wiring in place to install abs and trac control even if you don't have it and they put a fuse in the sunroof spot, are you sure that they didn't run the wiring up there? I can see where they might not waste the time because most wouldn't bother going through the trouble of making a car without a sunroof have one
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
I am only asking because they have the wiring in place to install abs and trac control even if you don't have it and they put a fuse in the sunroof spot, are you sure that they didn't run the wiring up there? I can see where they might not waste the time because most wouldn't bother going through the trouble of making a car without a sunroof have one

mine never had a fuse in the sunroof spot... and as far as I could tell when I replaced my dome light, there are no extra wires up there.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Probably cheaper to buy an Alero with a sunroof

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
emncfi
GX Member

Now grand am talk here, but its probably the same (maybe) I actually looked into doing this, to the point that I have the moonroof, the metal internal bracing, a new headliner for the moonroof cars, the switch and wiring. The harness on the 2 door in back in the c pillar on the drivers side, and you basically pull the harness back there and plug in the new one that has the moonroof wires, when I do that I can get the moonroof to move (just not installed) I stopped at getting the hole cut, hell I even have the drain tubes
2006 Mercedes E55 AMG
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #16
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emncfi View Post
Now grand am talk here, but its probably the same (maybe) I actually looked into doing this, to the point that I have the moonroof, the metal internal bracing, a new headliner for the moonroof cars, the switch and wiring. The harness on the 2 door in back in the c pillar on the drivers side, and you basically pull the harness back there and plug in the new one that has the moonroof wires, when I do that I can get the moonroof to move (just not installed) I stopped at getting the hole cut, hell I even have the drain tubes

have any pics of the processes? that would be a great how to. I had a lot of trouble finding info whenever I was looking into doing mine.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #17
howie2336
GX Member

howie2336 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to howie2336 Send a message via Yahoo to howie2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Probably cheaper to buy an Alero with a sunroof
Kinda what I concluded. Plus Michigan weather doesn't really give you too many nice days to open the moonroof.
-1998 Grand Prix GTP Daytona 500 Edition Pace Car
howie2336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
emncfi
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
have any pics of the processes? that would be a great how to. I had a lot of trouble finding info whenever I was looking into doing mine.

Yea, one of these days I will finally find a shop to cut the hole. One fail point is that the front drain tubes can not be run as they run inside the A pillar, and even on the junk yard car I got the parts off, I could not remove the tubes much less get them to run on my car
2006 Mercedes E55 AMG