Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
How are you assembling everything? Getting a shop to do it or renting a spring compressor? I'm still debating on how to put my set up together after i get the mounts...

I'm going to rent a spring compressor, put them together, install them myself then take the car to the Chevy dealer about 10 miles from my house for a 4 wheel alignment.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #42
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Well rear struts came about an hour ago. Looks like ill be rockin 2 different colored struts.. Hahaha oh well

All 4 struts and springs stacked up. just waiting on mounts and boot kits.

TWO - apparently I get my boot kits and mounts in tomorrow. So I will have to take the mounts to USPS as soon as I can for you to see how much shipping will be from here to you.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 12-20-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #43
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Wicked!! No rush man... i appreciate it!!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
sleepyalero
GLS member

No problem at all!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #45
sleepyalero
GLS member

Alright I officially got everything I need for the new suspension.

Boot kits

Mounts + boot kits.

Closer view of front mount

Closer view of rear mount

And the new stack up.

Two: the mounts seem to be pretty solid. But I won't know how well they perform until installed of course. But they seem to be good. I could still take the box to USPS with all mounts in it, and see what shipping would be to your place (because wether these are Monroe mounts or not, I'm sure they will add up to just about the same weight)
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #46
<woj99>
GX Member

<woj99> is on a distinguished road
Nice stack of parts! Do you also have the rubber insulators for front and rear? Don't see them in the pics so make sure you have those as well.
<woj99> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #47
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Freaking awesome sleepy!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #48
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <woj99> View Post
Nice stack of parts! Do you also have the rubber insulators for front and rear? Don't see them in the pics so make sure you have those as well.

These are not OEM mounts, they are aftermarket and have the isulators built in.

thanks mike!

TWO: Just talked to autozone, they ran part numbers and they are MOOG mounts. said they are the exact same thing as monroe. (same company) so i think we are all good there.

and napa wanted around 110$ for both front mounts, i paid 67$ from ebay for these.

and wanted 63$ for both rear, and i paid 37$ for what i got. savin money!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sleepyalero : 12-22-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #49
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome! Ya if you can get the shipping quote that would be cool... the company said $52 combined if i buy all 4 which isn't bad but if i can save even more well that's just even better thanks nate!!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #50
<woj99>
GX Member

Sleepy you still need the rubber isolators for those mounts. They're OEM replacements, even if they're aftermarket. You need front upper isolator (x2), front lower isolator (x2), and rear lower isolator (x2). The front uppers fit the shape of the mounts and the front and rear lowers sit on the strut and prevent metal to metal contact between the spring and strut. It's only the rear upper that doesn't need one because of the design of the mount.

If you take a look at your picture of the closeup of front mount you see the little square cutout in the mount, that's where a 'nipple' from the front upper rubber isolator fits it. The isolator also has a square block that fits between the end of the spring and the 'stop' on the mount. Take a look at this picture of the isolator: http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/get...roe/904944.jpg. Here's a pic of the lower isolators, they're molded in the shape of the strut spring seat:http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/get...KYB/SM5524.jpg.

Hope that helps. I have all the same parts as you for the suspension upgrade sitting in my basement waiting for spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
These are not OEM mounts, they are aftermarket and have the isulators built in.

thanks mike!

TWO: Just talked to autozone, they ran part numbers and they are MOOG mounts. said they are the exact same thing as monroe. (same company) so i think we are all good there.

and napa wanted around 110$ for both front mounts, i paid 67$ from ebay for these.

and wanted 63$ for both rear, and i paid 37$ for what i got. savin money!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
<woj99>
GX Member

Also, would you mind posting a pic of the KYB boots out of the box if you have a chance. I want to see the design. Trying to decide whether to get KYB, monroe, moog, or some other boot kits. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #52
sleepyalero
GLS member

Ahh yeah, I realized it earlier after you first said something, I was on another page, thanks ill be getting some soon!

Yeah give me a few and ill get that for you.

Edit: i will be picking them up tomorrow evening, took me 4 places to finally get a hold of them!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sleepyalero : 12-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #53
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Awesome! Ya if you can get the shipping quote that would be cool... the company said $52 combined if i buy all 4 which isn't bad but if i can save even more well that's just even better thanks nate!!

Few more days I should be able to get that for ya!

Quote:
Also, would you mind posting a pic of the KYB boots out of the box if you have a chance. I want to see the design. Trying to decide whether to get KYB, monroe, moog, or some other boot kits. Thanks!

Here's a kyb boot kit.

And here is a rear strut basically assembled. (Not completely together just seeing how it looks)

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #54
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

how much did your isolators cost? I found a spot in quebec that sells a complete kit...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Monroe-904944...9adb60&vxp=mtr

obviously, it is Canadian pricing... but it has the isolators, bearings and mount...

still liking your pricing better if shipping isn't going to kill me!!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #55
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
how much did your isolators cost? I found a spot in quebec that sells a complete kit...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Monroe-904944...9adb60&vxp=mtr

obviously, it is Canadian pricing... but it has the isolators, bearings and mount...

still liking your pricing better if shipping isn't going to kill me!!

All 4!of them for the front cost around 62ish$.

They are 14.99$-17.99$ each.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #56
<woj99>
GX Member

Thanks! Those look good and have a precise fit around the bump stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Few more days I should be able to get that for ya!

Here's a kyb boot kit.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #57
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Thanks! Those look good and have a precise fit around the bump stop.

Yes it does, there is a lip in the boot that the bump stop slips in so it doesn't come off.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #58
sleepyalero
GLS member

Well I was messing around with the suspension last night basically mocking it up, i got two front struts fully together... But after it was together I noticed the bump stop that goes into the bearing plate is popped about half way out, and no matter how much I push it back it, it keeps sliding out... Is that normal? Wil it fix itself once the struts/springs have a load? (On the car) any help is appreciated.

Here's a picture of one done, sorry my phone died last night so I have no pictures of the bump stop popping out. If the strut looks wrong In anyway in the pic, let me know, but I think it's okay. (Also the top nut needs to be tightened a bit more.)

(TWO) don't worry I still plan on taking the mounts to the post office. I'm just mocking up.

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sleepyalero : 12-24-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #59
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

Sweet!! looks good man... as I said before, take your time, I appreciate the help!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #60
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Sweet!! looks good man... as I said before, take your time, I appreciate the help!

Just didn't want you thinking that i wasn't going to do it, seeing I have two fronts assembled ATM lol.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: