Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
bugs181
GX Member

bugs181 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Tire Pressure Monitoring & Oil sensor

So, the geek in me wants to come out and play again..

I did a quick google search and found out that a few of the 2000 Alero's had TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System). I'm not sure if the information I seen was correct or not. As far as I know, my Alero didn't come with anything like that.

I seen some aftermarket stuff that you could easily add, but I wasn't sure if the TPMS stuff is vehicle specific. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The other thing I'm wondering is an Oil temperature and level sensor setup. Looks like I found a few of these too, again - not sure if they're vehicle specific.

If both of these systems could/would work.. which I don't see why they couldn't could anybody recommend any?
bugs181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
The TPMS is pretty vehicle specific. It uses the wheel speed sensors on the wheel bearing to detect if one of the tires has low tire pressure. You would need the correct ABS computer and many other components to do this. It may not be worth the hassle. I actually think there may be TPMS retro fit kits out there but I don't know for a fact.

Also you would be looking at an aftermarket set up for oil temperature and oil pressure. The oil level is determined by oil pressure. These mods require aftermarket gauges as well. Many of the other guys on here have done this before.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
bugs181
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
The TPMS is pretty vehicle specific. It uses the wheel speed sensors on the wheel bearing to detect if one of the tires has low tire pressure. You would need the correct ABS computer and many other components to do this. It may not be worth the hassle. I actually think there may be TPMS retro fit kits out there but I don't know for a fact.

Also you would be looking at an aftermarket set up for oil temperature and oil pressure. The oil level is determined by oil pressure. These mods require aftermarket gauges as well. Many of the other guys on here have done this before.

Yeah, in my google search I came across a retro fit kit but wasn't sure if it would work. It does in fact list the 2000 olds alero but I don't believe everything I see on the internet.

Heres one: http://www.autopartsfair.com/oldsmob...-tpms409s.html

As far as aftermarket goes, I don't really mind. I'm assuming the oil level / pressure would also be vehicle specific? Retro kit for this too perhaps?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
My 1999 Alero does have TPMS from the factory. I thought that all Aleros have this??? It works exactly as described by Shiwnath in that there is nothing in the tire (which is nice since I don't get gouged by tire shops).
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
bugs181
GX Member

In a perfect world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
My 1999 Alero does have TPMS from the factory. I thought that all Aleros have this??? It works exactly as described by Shiwnath in that there is nothing in the tire (which is nice since I don't get gouged by tire shops).

Well, in a perfect world I suppose I should have gotten one. Just my luck! Looks like retro fit kit might be the only way to cost in terms of cost / hassle like Shiwnath said. Those tire shops aren't gonna like me. xD
Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why you would want them, in the two vehicles we have had them in that it did anything 04' freestar and 04' suburban, they have had more faulty readings than accurate ones, and in my alero which is an 03' and is supposed to have a setup, i had multiple tires go from full to flat on short trips to the tire shop and never seen it come on, yet i have seen the tires spinning when having to make a quick turn in my friends 01' alero make their tire pressure light come on
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
number53alero
GX Member

number53alero is on a distinguished road
My wife's Aurora has the same type of TPMS as mentioned but it works rather well. I can honestly think of only a time or 2 it was off and that was with the old factory chrome garbage wheels that leaked consistently.
2004 Final 500 Alero #53
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/718701
1990 Cutlass Ciera Lowrider
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212170
2002 Aurora 4.0L V8
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045018
number53alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
In my 2000 5-speed the low tire pressure light has been on since i got the.car... tires are always checked manually and maintained at proper levels... not sure if this is on due to a rear speed sensor issue or not...
My 99 alero had it as well and didn't come on once in 3 yrs of driving dispite having low pressur in one tire due to a nail in the tire...
My 2002 came on a couple times, again faulty readings and hasn't come on once since upgrading my wheel and tire combos...

If i remember right the system is designed only to come on if there is a dramatic drop in pressure ie. 25 psi drop or higher... can't remember for sure though

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
ok, I cant look at this any longer.
Please read the info in my page (the normal text u may to translate but thats no big hassle)
the PDF is in english.
http://gm-alero.de/63/tire-pressure-...ng-system-tpms
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
So basically any time you do anything with your tires, ie change or inflate your tires, you should reset the tire pressure monitor.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
So basically any time you do anything with your tires, ie change or inflate your tires, you should reset the tire pressure monitor.

that is correct. it senses wheel speed changes and the only way it knows you have a low tire is because one tire will be going faster then the other.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ Yes.

Newer cars have the little sensor on the tire stem and are inside the tire, bolted to the rim. The Alero's is like a first gen which used it's hubs to decide if one tire is 12 psi below the others

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
The only time my TPMS went off is when I got a nail in the tire, so it's good that it warned me about this before I found out about it the hard way. Resetting it was a PIA. I would not add one if the car didn't already have it.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
falloutboy
GL Member

resetting the TMPS in the Alero is easy and straight forward.
Awesome system to have.

These little Sensors in the rims, and so well ... i am not a fan of it. For service works and car lifts it give u quite some trouble sometimes
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
Revhappy
GX Member

Revhappy is on a distinguished road
Anytime tires are changed, rotated, or have the pressures adjusted you should definitely hit that rest button. This throws the car into re-learn mode and makes sure the changes are accommodated for. The factory TPMS system has worked great for me and has helped indicate tire problems while on the road. The EBCM needs to go throw a few phases of driving speeds to properly calibrate itself:

Bronze Mist 01', 2.4L w/WAI, F+R strut tower bar, 20% Tint, Upgraded 16" factory aluminum rims, Crossed drilled rotors on all 4 corners, chrome muffler tips and 3000K HID fogs.
Revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #16
falloutboy
GL Member

thats what I already posted a few days ago
But thanks for reassuring my info
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX