Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
zoL
Premier V.I.P. Member

zoL is on a distinguished road
Performance Mods.

I have an automatic, and I was wondering if it's even worth it to buy some performance mods.

"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers ... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." - Frank I. Cobb
zoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
most aleros are automatic........

all of the 3400 V6 Aleros are
and the 4-banger's manual trans are pretty rare.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
manuals impress high school kids, automatics win races

saw that quote from someone's 02 Camaro FQuick page lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
^ true. when it comes to drag racing, it's hard to get a shift as fast as an auto shift with a stick. it's possible, but very difficult.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
DaRockwilder
GL Member

DaRockwilder is on a distinguished road
From a performance standpoint, its not as big a difference anymore I don't think, because back in the early 90's there was a much larger difference in the final drive ratio than there is now. For example, the 3T40 I had in my '92 Achieva had a 3.06 final drive ratio. The 4T45E in my Alero is 3.91. Thats a BIG difference, and you can really notice it.

In the early 90's the Getrag to have was the one with a 3.94 Final Drive. I think after a few years they started making them more common. Today, the final drive ratio for the M86 is still 3.94. So the final drive ratios are so close between the auto and the manual, that it doesn't matter anymore.

When you compare the gear ratios per gear, however, the 5-speed car will be quicker. How much quicker depends on the driver. You have to factor in shifting. With an automatic car, its foot to the floor and it shifts at the same time, at the same speed, every single time. There are even boxes that plug in to the harness to the transmission that increases line pressure for even firmer shifts. It would be interesting to drag an Eco auto Alero and an Eco 5-speed alero and really see how much the difference would be. I predinkt (I didn't spell it like that) not very much at all.

You can't get a stick with a six, so there's really no point in comparing them.

Last edited by DaRockwilder : 04-07-2007 at 10:23 AM.
DaRockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
^Agreed. One thing to add though is that the newer automatics are at the point where you can get 5spd, or even 6spd. Even the aleros never had these transmissions many modern cars do.

As for Alero 5spd vs Alero auto; I don't think it's much difference if any. When I was buying my car I test drove a 5spd and it didn't seem any different from the automatic 4 cylinder I drove.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
DaRockwilder
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
As for Alero 5spd vs Alero auto; I don't think it's much difference if any. When I was buying my car I test drove a 5spd and it didn't seem any different from the automatic 4 cylinder I drove.

Do you mean that in terms of it pulling harder off the line? The 5-speed car *should* feel a little quicker due to the ratio of 1st gear, but, when you hammer an auto car you get all your power right now. You gotta let the clutch out properly on a 5-speed car to get off the line fast. Sure you can dump it, but then you just spin. You really gotta know how to drive it. If you don't do that then I suppose the auto would feel faster.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRockwilder View Post
From a performance standpoint, its not as big a difference anymore I don't think, because back in the early 90's there was a much larger difference in the final drive ratio than there is now. For example, the 3T40 I had in my '92 Achieva had a 3.06 final drive ratio. The 4T45E in my Alero is 3.91. Thats a BIG difference, and you can really notice it.

In the early 90's the Getrag to have was the one with a 3.94 Final Drive. I think after a few years they started making them more common. Today, the final drive ratio for the M86 is still 3.94. So the final drive ratios are so close between the auto and the manual, that it doesn't matter anymore.

When you compare the gear ratios per gear, however, the 5-speed car will be quicker. How much quicker depends on the driver. You have to factor in shifting. With an automatic car, its foot to the floor and it shifts at the same time, at the same speed, every single time. There are even boxes that plug in to the harness to the transmission that increases line pressure for even firmer shifts. It would be interesting to drag an Eco auto Alero and an Eco 5-speed alero and really see how much the difference would be. I predinkt (I didn't spell it like that) not very much at all.

You can't get a stick with a six, so there's really no point in comparing them.

not its not. unless you changed it its 3.05 and gagt is 3.29.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
luckilero7
GL Member

luckilero7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I had the auto 3600 and yeh if u floor it at the right time the pull is good and dont have to worry about much timing off the line, foot-wise where as my manual camaro not always the greatest off the line mostly due to wheelspin or just a horrible start but pulls great and i can control when i shift for different pulls and i can downshift it at cruising speeds to really pull. But modding wise always a good idea!
luckilero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
DaRockwilder
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
not its not. unless you changed it its 3.05 and gagt is 3.29.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I've got an Ecotec. Since Its a 4-banger it got a better gear ratio.

I wonder if both ratios can handle the same amount of torque? I would think it would be a good upgrade to go to the Ecotec trans if thats the case.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Pacho

to answer your question yea its worth it dude
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
zoL
Premier V.I.P. Member

zoL is on a distinguished road
Alright, thank you guys so much. I hear tons of people bitch about how much better manuals are, etc. I guess they think their penises are bigger because they drive manuals? And I'm going to save up money and destroy the car, in a good way.

"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers ... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." - Frank I. Cobb

Last edited by zoL : 04-07-2007 at 08:52 PM.
zoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
burg03

^^^^ he he
Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRockwilder View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention I've got an Ecotec. Since Its a 4-banger it got a better gear ratio.

I wonder if both ratios can handle the same amount of torque? I would think it would be a good upgrade to go to the Ecotec trans if thats the case.
Also could be that your Ecotec has the 4T40E and not the 4T45E like you mentioned. The 3400 has the 45E.

The difference between the auto and manual isn't just the final drive ratio, the clutch and torque converter work differenty at transfering engine torque to the transmission. When the clutch is engaged, it's directly connected to the crankshaft (via the flywheel) and therefore doesn't waste any energy from the engine sending torque from the crank to the transmission. The torque converter has turbines (or vanes) inside of it that fluid gets forced through to turn. Instead of being directly connected, there's that layer of fluid going from one turbine to another which transfers torque from the crank to the transmission. Since this takes a small amount of extra energy, the manual will put out a slightly higher wheel horsepower number than an automatic. But like what was said before, putting two identical cars against each other with the only thing different being the transmissions, unless the person driving the manual was almost perfect at launching and shifting his car, it would be a very close race.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 04-08-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
DaRockwilder
GL Member

Thats what I thought too, but then I read something online that said I had a 4T45E....