Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #21
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
ebc yellow(expensive), apex kevlar(reasonable)
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #22
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Search ebay for the AGX's I got my set for like $450 for all four. Well worth it. Blows the GR-2's out of the water. Look around for used sway bars as well, I have just a rear and it makes a world of difference. I can't imagine how nice having both would be.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Ordered a rear upper tower brace. Going to meet up with my fabricator friend this week to add braces all over the underside of the car.

I changed my mind and am going to get the AGX model struts. Apparently the GR2s are factory replacement and offer minimal increase in performance, and still blow out with lowering springs quickly just like factory ones. I like the adjustable stiffness. Now to find a deal. So far I located a set for $443 shipped...
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
I don't know what sort of budget you have but if I were to autocross another Alero and had a limited budget I would start off by buying a set of Hoosier A6 and getting the right alignment. That would be your best bang for the buck...
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not trying to autocross I just want it to handle nicer so I can take twisties through the mountains with relative ease and fun.

Doing:
  • KYB AGX
  • Rear upper strut bar (to complement my front one)
  • Under body bracing (boxing up everything we can find under there, maybe custom sway bars, lower tie bars etc.)
  • Kevlar brake pads (to go with my slotted rotors)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #26
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Rear bars can all be vastly improved with tighter links and adjustents, see http://www.bmrfabrication.com/W-Body.htm for ideas. It sounds like you've got the rest of the easy ones covered. Last step would be to reinforce the unibody to improve stiffness, oftentimes a good rollcage will stiffen up a car...
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #27
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
I want to do suspension work too.... i was going to go with the GR2 struts with eibach springs....now will i need to buy new strut mounting plates? if so...why? Also, do the struts come with everything i need? like the rubber boot that covers the part of the strut? etc.....

I wish there were kits that came with the spring in the strut already.....cause that would make things much easier for me....lol
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

GR2 are factory replacement and quality. No upgrades there.

And no you wouldn't need new strut mounts... the rubber boot does not come with them. Putting a spring on isn't that difficult and it allows you to choose what spring to use.

Updates on my situation. I ordered the APEX kevlar brake pads all around. My trailing arms have been extremely stiffened by adding a strip of flat stock steel welded to the opening of the U-shape of the factory ones. The same will be done to the lateral links and they will be linked to each other as well. I'm also making a custom 1" rear sway bar with urethane bushings. Possibly linking the front and rear subframes together with big rectangular tubing running down each side of the car and then linking them to each other across the middle.