Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by widbyj View Post
FYI - The PROPER bolt pattern for the GM platform IS 115x5. Might as well do it right. Also, hub centering and support IS important. just sayin...

You really think 0.3 millimeters of diameter difference is going to matter? 5x114.3 and 5x115 are completely interchangeable without worry. Motorsport-Tech already knows it's 5x115 and that's what the spacer is made to. The lugs they put on them are going to be 5x100 because that's the other bolt pattern the wheel accepts.

Also, my wheels right now have a center bore bigger than the Alero's hub size. No hub-centric rings, and I've had them on since '08 without issue.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #22
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
You really think 0.3 millimeters of diameter difference is going to matter? 5x114.3 and 5x115 are completely interchangeable without worry. Motorsport-Tech already knows it's 5x115 and that's what the spacer is made to. The lugs they put on them are going to be 5x100 because that's the other bolt pattern the wheel accepts.

Also, my wheels right now have a center bore bigger than the Alero's hub size. No hub-centric rings, and I've had them on since '08 without issue.

It can make a difference, depends on the particular setup. I tried a 114.3 wheel in a 16X8 size, correct hubcentric rings and all, never could get them to run right. Finally returned them to the local performance tire shop, who were good at their job, btw. Sold them back minus a wear charge.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #23
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
since I have motorsport-tech spacers i should share a few measurements i found when selecting them.
difference of (front wheel to fender) to (rear wheel to fender) is 20mm
stock gls wheels 16x6.5 +42mm offset distance to fender F 30mm R 50mm
Basically this means that you need 20mm extra in the back to make the wheels an equal distance to your fenders. Ideally a new set of rims should stick out 30mm wider than the stock 2000+ gls wheels to get them flush vertically as well. One other thing I would recommend with this setup is a wider tire up front, maybe 245 or 255 on a good set of 8" or wider rims. The alero has different fender angles front to back, so this setup makes the rear wheels appear farther out than the fronts. A nice beefy sidewall up front will fill up the difference in appearance. I'm not the best judge of performance, but I know that I have less bodyroll and more sensitive steering when I have the wider wheels on. I run stock through winter so I have plenty of time driving both setups. Also, you would need maybe 40mm-45mm spacers to clear the studs. I can't use the spacers with my stock wheels because of this. One final note is don't underestimate the importance of offset. Some wheel websites don't even list the offset, but it is the most important measurement in achieving a great looking stance. For more info on tire width/offset and a great offset calculator, check out http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp

Last edited by mrmike : 05-29-2011 at 12:24 AM.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
You really think 0.3 millimeters of diameter difference is going to matter? 5x114.3 and 5x115 are completely interchangeable without worry.

2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #25
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Hahahaha, I realized it when I re-read it, but AleroB888 quoted it so editing it to 0.7 wouldn't matter. I was thinking 0.03" because 5x115 is 4.53" and 5x114.3 is 4.5" lol too many numbers/units switching back and forth
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
[ion] C2
636 whp

Just ordered 27mm (1.06") ones. Can't wait. I hate how it looks right now as the body kit makes it look like the wheels are tucked in too far. This should make it look much, much nicer.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #27
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
too bad you can't just buy the right wheels.....
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

Send me money and I'll go buy a whole new set of wheels.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #29
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Just put a set of 1.25" adapters on the rears. Definitely gives a wider-looking stance, altho I may have been happier with 1". Will get a pic in the daytime here soon. I unfortunately did not get the hubcentric adapters, but I took my time and lined them up well, so hopefully they will be fine in the future. I did apply some threadlock to the stock studs for extra assurance

Done lost my mind

Last edited by jhubbz : 12-29-2011 at 09:34 PM.
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #30
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

The spacer:

Before:

After:

Overall, I'm happy with it. I will definitely invest in some hub-centric ones once I am able to lower it.

Done lost my mind
Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #31
mrmike
GL Member

It looks good and all, but I would be scared to drive it. Hubcentric wheels are supposed to have the hub support the weight. Without the hub center there, the studs are taking both the vertical and rotational load, as well as the added handicap of not even being bolted through the hub. Even on my hubcentric ones, the wheel can rotate relative to the spacer, so I need to constantly retorque them.

Last edited by mrmike : 01-08-2012 at 07:49 PM.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #32
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
man i just love how clean jhubbz ho is
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #33
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
The look is great but I prefer to do it the right way with the right offset, wider rims, and wider tires....
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #34
mrmike
GL Member

^ Do you have a staggered set of rims? Pics please.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
man i just love how clean jhubbz ho is

I know, its quite beautiful. I need to give mine a good wash and wax.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #36
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
^ Do you have a staggered set of rims? Pics please.

No I don't. I have a correct set of rims for the front that fit perfectly. The rear sit in. I don't think staggered rims belong on a FWD vehicle. Make the front flush and let the rears sit in. If you make a bigger rim on the rear you are just adding more weight which is unnecessary. I actually run a smaller tire in the rear than in the front.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #37
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

Thanks guys for the compliments. And yea I agree it is kinda scary not having them hubcentric. I will get some decent ones soon. Maybe not til summer tho

Done lost my mind