Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

_01Alero_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Changed Beaing, but still a grinding noise?

Ok, I noticed a grinding noise on my driver side about two weeks ago. Whenever you turn the wheel to the right it gets louder, so I thought this was the driver side wheel bearing. So today, I replaced the hub assembly and the noise is still there? Is this because it was the passenger side wheel bearing, or is it something else?

I am going to be replacing the passenger side bearing regardless, but I just wanted to know if there could be any other reason for the noise?

I may answer my own question when I change out the passenger one next weekend, but I figured I would ask in advance to see if it would be something else.

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
It could be something else besides the bearing, like tie rod, ball joint, strut. Really anything in the front suspension. I have heard people say they hear the noise on the driver side but its really coming from the passenger side though. Best of luck with finding the problem, I know noises really piss me off.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
When mine was going, it sounded like it was coming from the driver's side. In reality it was the passenger side. My dad's bearing went on the passenger side. I think that's the more suscetible side to go anyway.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Yea im thinking the same thing, I will find out next weekend lol, when I change the other one. Been busy with other things this weekend, only had time for driver side. Im going to be buying lowering springs soon, and I already have the struts and all new rotors, so I figure by the time all of it is on, this sound better be gone lol....
Old 04-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Hopefully
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
JCHT79
GX Member

JCHT79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to JCHT79
Does your Low Trac light come on sometimes or is the Low Trac light on solid? It most likely is the Wheel Hub Assembly on either side of the car. I've had three replacements: two on the right front(2nd incident the ABS sensor broke, which is apart of the Wheel Hub Assembly) & the front left. If you go to a dealer the price for the part is about $585.00 for the harness, wheel hub kit & wiring that will have to be replaced.

And if you're wondering why the ABS sensor is apart of the Wheel Hub Assembly, it's due to issues with the likes of 96 through 2000 Suburbans, Silverodos and the like. GM thought it was more cost effective to add the sensor to the current Wheel Hub Design.

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
JCHT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Thanks for all the info, I already purchased all the hub assemblies for about 95 dollars a piece, and installed the left front already. That didn't stop the noise, so I am going to be putting the other hub on the right side this weekend, hopefully. $585.00 is RIDICULOUS, and if you pay that, then please come to my home and I will do them for you both for half that price. But anyhow, Im hoping that is what it is. The left front assembly was rubbing bad when I took it off, so I thought that would have stopped the noise, but it didn't so, Im guessing that the right front will be catching worse. If this isnt the problem, then I will be chatting it up on here and trying to figure out what the heck I can do.

Like I have previously mentioned, I already have new rotors and KYB struts to put on, after I figure out this noise. So, it better go away lol.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Ok update....

I changed out the other wheel bearing yesterday and no noise anymore. So I'm happy with everything again. I also put on all the rotors. They look real good and the fit perfectly. The braking is a little different, more soft at this point, but I figure they have to be worn in a little bit. But yea, everything worked out. Will be putting the struts and lowering springs on once I receive the springs.

I will get pictures of all the suspension once I get it all done. Im going to take some shots of the before struts and springs that way to show the drop. Can't wait.

Thats it for now lol....
Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
Awesome .
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
This may not make a whole lot of sense. But in my Cavalier I had a similar issue when I turned left... we all thought it was the axles or the bearings but through some fluke it ended up being the brakepads. I wasn't even applying the brakes when it would squeal so it was really weird.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

That's crazy man. Im glad that I had these forums to come to, because without aleromod, I wouldn't of had a clue what was wrong with the car, and would have had to go to the dealership, and that is just a waste of money. Luckily the brake pads on my car were new about two weeks before I started having the problem/noise.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
Dabode

If you ever suspect the hub assembly of being bad, just jack up the car, and grab the top and bottom of the wheel, and wiggle it to see if there's any play in it. Usually you will get play when they start going bad, and this can help you determine which one is the problem, so you don't end up replacing the wrong one.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

LoL....wish I knew that before hand.... Good tip...