Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
R1 Rotor Direction

Those of you who have or know drilled/slotted brakes, specifically the ones from R1Concepts (E-Line Performance Rotors), which way are they installed?

I've read multiple different instructions on forums across the interwebs, it seems to depend not on the slots/holes angles, but the vane vents within the rotor.

Is this correct? Should the internal vanes look like that and basically suck the air from the center and expell it outwards? Or should it be reversed and cut through the air like a saw and vent it all toward the center of the rotor?

How do you guys have them installed? I read on Baer's site that if they are installed incorrectly it will lead to premature failure and whatnot.
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have no idea which direction mine are on. I have had them for two years or more with no issues. I dont think it matters unless I got lucky and did them right on accident.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
to me, i'd think its your first guess. for heat dispersal, you'd probably want it to vent air outward...
Old 05-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
That's what I'm thinking the more I read about it, that the slot direction does not matter, it's the internale vanes that should be directed always the way the above image shows it.

I'm having some shop do it whenever they come in (Monday I think) so I want to make sure I tell them to install it the right way (if they don't already know).
Old 05-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
I think mines are installed the opposite way from your diagram and I had no problem for a year. I'm wondering if I should have installed them the other way though.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

My old CAD teacher said the vanes are supposed to be the opposite way of the drawing, but most brake companies' sites say otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brembo
Which direction should the discs rotate?
It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

- Straight
- Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
- Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Looks like I'll just have to take a look when they get here to see if the vanes are curved.

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 05-31-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Well I would think they are suppose to be the opposite because logically, heat has to get from the center of the rotor to the edge of it, but thats just what I thought when we installed them.

I guess its something like the arguing about installing STB with the car jacked or not.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

^Nope this one's actually a requirement for proper cooling. Looks like the original drawing above is correct, according to Brembo. It's done as a centrifugal pump.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
woot, i was right!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
I actually had mine installed backwards for a little bit

I had them switched around, but didn't really notice any difference though...

The proper way does seem to make more sense though
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
OMG, you are not asking this question

You are losing a lot of ground lately.

The photo posted it correct

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

^What? I'm losing "ground"? I've read all across forums and brake sites conflicting positions, so I figured I'd ask those who actually have them installed... I know now that the original image was correct.

I've been told both ways by different people and websites, so then I took a look at Brembo's site (who I'd assume I can trust) and that confirms the above drawing is the correct rotation direction. What's so bad about not knowing the direction your rotors should spin? I've designed brake rotors and calipers for my mechanical engineering classes, I know fully how the brake system functions, just didn't know which rotation direction was the correct and more efficient cooling method.

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 05-31-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Aren't the rotors marked with a L and R?

I know you have had slotted rotors before

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

I've never had slotted rotors before. Maybe they are. I don't get them in until Monday.

I'm rolling on the shitty OEM ones, which are warped so much that they tap the pads without braking. Shakes terribly when braking.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
zoL
Premier V.I.P. Member

zoL is on a distinguished road
Lol. I just threw mine on, and didn't check if they were marked. Eh, w/e they work fine.
zoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #16
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
here...
front left wheel.
the slots shoot backwards towards the rear of the car.
they do the same thing on all sides.
its a pretty simple install, not really a PITA project.
congrats on the upgrade!

Last edited by NickAlero2000 : 12-19-2008 at 09:35 PM.
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

that's what i figured they'd look like. as long as the internal vent vanes are curved toward the rear just like the holes/slots (which they should for the sake of having holes where the vent material isn't) then it's correct
Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

You'll like the braking.

I had powerslots and they were OK compared to the Summit house brand. OMG the first time I hit the brakes, I had to put my eyes back in my head

40 to 0 in less than 2 seconds

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 06-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
I just did rotors on my buick... And to tell you the truth the casted in ribs in the center between the brake surfaces appeared to be centered.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

yeah some are nondirectional vanes, but I'm quite sure R1Concepts are directional curved vanes, i'll see tomorrow