Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
aleromod101

Angry Bad Engine Problems Need Help Fast Please Please

Ok just had the engine replaced. First Off this is freaking me out bad. My car has no power. Like it wont climb a hill for shat. And it wont get up and go like it should. Second its overheating like crazy. I mean when im sitting still its fine when Im trying to go or actual moving its starts heating and the fans are on without the whole ac heater trick. Please help I wont drive this car until I get this fixed.

Also had the tranny flushed like reccomended for the mileage and now it shifts like shat and i dont know but it just seems odd.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
catalytic converter might be getting clogged (old) then if that's not it, go from there.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
aleromod101

What would that improve im sorry Im not the best with motors. Would that fix what?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
oh, ok. I misunderstood your PM. In explanation of my earlier post, sometimes the catalytic converter getting old and clogged will cause the engine to run very sluggish, overheat, and get crappy gas mileage. This is due to carbon buildup and general deterioration. This causes excessive backpressure which could cause all the symptoms you listed. See if you can get a courtesy inspection at a local trustworthy repair shop or dealership (yeah, I know, Santa Clause doesn't exist either). If I were in your area, I could run a diagnostic scan and look for tell-tale codes.

No guarantee that it's the problem, but the symptoms seem to point in that direction. Only by checking a few things first hand could I diagnose the problem accurately.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

IF that were the case, then replacing the catalytic converter should cure the problem. Also, I would take a close look under your hood for the PM problems you listed, for a vaccum leak. Check for unconnected hoses or whatnot. This will cause the high RPM's you were indicating, and also cause it to run hot if you're going lean (higher ratio of air/fuel than you're supposed to have)

Old 07-15-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
check firing order?, upside down, or stuck thermostat?,all wires connected?...if the engine was just replaced, i would start with all the basics of whoever installed it...you never know who does what....just my .02
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:59 AM   #7
aleromod101

I would check the wires and all but I really dont know the order they go in correctly. Well I should say the correct way they suppose to be.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:09 AM   #8
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkey69
check firing order?, upside down, or stuck thermostat?,all wires connected?...if the engine was just replaced, i would start with all the basics of whoever installed it...you never know who does what....just my .02

That's why I also recommended he check all vaccum lines before screwing with anything else. It's easiest to check for, and commonly occurs with hasty engine changes.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 AM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Now, to address your possible misfire. You said you're getting power to the coils, but the output on one might be bad. Take the plugs out one at a time with the plug wire still attached. Hold the electrode to something metal, like a valve cover bolt or something grounded, and observe for spark to arc when the engine is turned over. Do this with all 6 plugs. If you find one that isn't firing, try swapping out the plug wire to rule that out. If you still dont get spark arcing on the plug, then it's probably in the coil.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:21 AM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I think I got your problem confused with someone elses. I am on more than 8 forums and get questions alot. If that wasn't your problem, then sorry about that

Old 07-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #11
aleromod101

Ok had a diagnostic ran on it. Nothing came up. So I took blacks advice and had the cat replaced. I saw it and I must it was defintly clogged and clogged horribly. But I still seem to running a little hot not as near as high as it was getting its getting around the 3 mark well right on it. Any suggestions????
Old 07-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

any difference in amount of power? You said it was sluggish etc.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
aleromod101

O yeah man I have more power than I have ever had with this car. Check this I turn the car on after driving it a bit or down the road or whatever. So I turn it on and its warm like after maybe 5 minutes after shutting it off its at the 3rd dash mark but run it for like ahh 30 sec-1 min down the road boom its normal again.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

ok, that's good. Now, as to why you have erratic cooling problems....are your fans turning on when they're supposed to?

Old 07-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
aleromod101

Im pretty sure they are but I can not be certain. I did see a little leak by the i dont know what its called it comes fromt the little place you bleed the dex cool. But Im also think when it overheated because of my cat I should put a new t stat whats your opinion.

The leak is fixed.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

my opinion is that this is where people get charged alot of money. Cooling system problems could be exactly that, or it could be caused by something wrong with the way the engine is running. Many factors involved in overheating. bad radiator, clogged or deteriorating hoses, leaks, bad t-stat, fans not working, bad water pump, poor quality coolant (old), lean running condition, bad sensor, shorted wiring, bad computer, do you want to go on?

Just telling you it's hard for me to say without putting hands on the vehicle. You'll have to trust in a local diagnosis for that one, and God be with you

Old 07-17-2006, 01:17 AM   #17
aleromod101

Changed the t stat and car is getting between half and 3rd. But seems to be when I turn it off the fans dont keep running to keep it cooler.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #18
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

fans dont stay on when the key is off. That feature can be enabled in the computer, but by default it is not.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #19
aleromod101

OK well i think i need to do that then.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #20
aleromod101

Hey Black man peep this. My guage said I was overheating and I had the scanner on there and it was reading 216 degrees. So its my sensor im pretty sure. I took the old sensor off my old motor I will be swapping it tonight and i will let you know how that goes. Also man my gas mileage is not worth shat. I was thinkin maybe because its showing hot and its dumping more shat to keep it cool so maybe thats where my gas is going?? No clue egr is cloosing and openin so np there. Whats your input?