Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
aleroguy83

i was wondering if anyone has ever thought about putting a twin turbo setup on an alero? me and a guy at work were talking about it and it seems conceivable but i was just wondering if anyone else has looked at it and tried. let me know
Old 04-20-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
germ

yes, i have thought about it. as a matter of fact, i thought about it again today.

its very possible to do and shouldnt be to bad to fab up, actually it would be quite easy.

tuning it and getting max potential from it would be another issue.

there are reasons why cars that come with TT setups switch to a single turbo setup.

however, it would still be a fun project.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:18 AM   #3
aleroguy83

are you going to venture looking deeper into it or no? i am getting closer to getting the old motor out and new motor in and as soon as that happens i am focusing all attention to getting at least a turbo on the old one. but keep in touch and let me know and if you dont mind when i do get my motor out and apart, would it be ok for me to pm you and ask your advice on some things?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
germ

since i was in vegas for the last 4 days and sitting at the pool with a LOT of time to think.....

it wouldnt be hard to "install" a twin turbo setup.

the more i think about it, the more i want to do it, but i really dont see me peronally doing it on my car.

but its deffinately something that i would consider if i were to have another car to do it on.

and yes, you can PM me if you need any help or anything.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
flalero

It depends on what kind of tt setup you are going for you. Both a true twin turbo and a sequential setup would be possible, it just depends on what kind of horsepower you want to go with. If you are running two turbos seperate of each other, one on each cylinder bank, you will make more power than a sequential setup. In a sequential setup, there is a smaller turbo inline with a bigger turbo. The little turbo is used to spool the big turbo and eliminate any turbo lag. I've ridden in rx-7's and supras with both setups. With the sequential setup, the acceleration is smooth and constant. With the single turbo setup, the acceleration is slow at first then it hits you in the face like a five ton elephant. Single turbos will give you the most horsepower, but you have to sacrifice some driveability. Sequential turbos are nice and smooth. If you ever look at any of the big hp import cars that are stock turboed, most of them have been swapped to a single turbo setup. There would also be another issue with the tt setup on our cars. There just isn't much room.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by flalero@Apr 26 2005, 10:25 AM
It depends on what kind of tt setup you are going for you. Both a true twin turbo and a sequential setup would be possible, it just depends on what kind of horsepower you want to go with. If you are running two turbos seperate of each other, one on each cylinder bank, you will make more power than a sequential setup. In a sequential setup, there is a smaller turbo inline with a bigger turbo. The little turbo is used to spool the big turbo and eliminate any turbo lag. I've ridden in rx-7's and supras with both setups. With the sequential setup, the acceleration is smooth and constant. With the single turbo setup, the acceleration is slow at first then it hits you in the face like a five ton elephant. Single turbos will give you the most horsepower, but you have to sacrifice some driveability. Sequential turbos are nice and smooth. If you ever look at any of the big hp import cars that are stock turboed, most of them have been swapped to a single turbo setup. There would also be another issue with the tt setup on our cars. There just isn't much room.

Your talking bi turbo vs twin turbo. Sequential is twins, one per bank is bi.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
flalero

Yeah, I couldn't remember what that was called.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
bi-turbo, twin turbo, i've heard of dual turbo...they're all the same. different car companies call it different names to be "different". they all use 2 turbos on seperate exhaust banks. sequential twin turbos are both on one exhaust bank, one small turbo, and one larger turbo, but there is a valve that is closed at low rpms and load conditions that routes exhaust through only the small turbo. as the rpms and loads increase and the small turbo is fully spooled, the valve opens and starts to spool the larger turbo.

there's a decent article on how the system works here http://www.lextreme.com/sqtt.html it gets sort of technical with all the different terms and the diagram at the bottom of the page is a little hard to read, but its not bad for learning how the system works.