Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Arrow The horrible leak.. (3.4L V6)

Ok, this Lower intake manifold gasket has started leaking, what can i possibly do to keep anything from getting harmed while i get the money to spend for repairs? How long can i drive around while this is happening?

I tried starting my car earlier and it took a few tries, then i started it and gave it some gas to get above 1000 RPM's and it idled just fine, then later on down the road when i stopped at a stop light, the engine was going from 750 to about 850 rpm's back and forth untill i began to accelerate.. I can only pray to god this engine holds out untill i get the money for the new gasket and repair fees.. How much is this going to cost me? I know the gasket is around 50 bucks or so..

I read on another topic that keeping the oil changed will keep it steady for a while, but how long?

helllp meeee

P.S.: I can see seepage coming from the lower intake manifold gasket, but my car doesnt smoke / sputter / tick or make any other noises while driving around, no warning lights.. nothing. I just know its leaking.. When i checked my oil when i first got the car, i was amazed at how clean it was.. I checked that same oil today and it was all brown and crap.. not clumpy though..

Thoughts and opinions please!!

P.S.S: When i go to get the new gaskets, which ones will last the longest and rid this poor car of the wretched leak? This car has lost an engine to this leak before, i will not let it happen again!

Last edited by Midgear : 08-17-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
Midgear
on vacation

And another thing.. why are my warning lights not coming up?!

I have bad hubs, and i know that for a fact, but i dont see any ABS or TRAC OFF lights.. I have a gasket leak.. i dont see any SERVICE ENGINE, CHANGE OIL, CHANGE COOLANT lights, what the hell is going on?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
troyertrain
GLS member

troyertrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to troyertrain Send a message via MSN to troyertrain
wow, and you thought you got a deal on this car didnt you???

when my hub went out, my ABS and TRAC OFF lights didnt come on until my bearing completely went out (im like you, i tend to push it as far as i can). as for the LIM, i dunno, never had that problem as of yet...
troyertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 AM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
OK first any 3rd gen gaskets will do, They fixed the problem in 2002 or 2003 so any gaskets made after that will work fine.

You can keep driving it, but I reallly don't think it's a good idea. Park the car until you can get the money.

Warning lights will not come up until there is a problem, like a major loss of anti-freeze and or oil. Lose oil, and it's too late.

You see seepage, and it's not smoking. To answer that, not yet, it will if left unfixed

I don't really think changing the oil will help, and change it enough, there's your $50 for the gaskets, by just avoiding the problem.

Oil is brown, but a darker brown is OK. Oil does get dirty, that's why we change it.

If you know your hubs are bad, then change them out, they just aren't bad enough to bring lights up yet

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Midgear
on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyertrain View Post
wow, and you thought you got a deal on this car didnt you???

when my hub went out, my ABS and TRAC OFF lights didnt come on until my bearing completely went out (im like you, i tend to push it as far as i can). as for the LIM, i dunno, never had that problem as of yet...

quite a deal, but most every alero has this problem and im looking for tips and opinions on what i can do to work out the problems