Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Leaking Gas

I finished my car finally. New injectors, new heads, ported lower intake, new plugs and wires and all new gaskets and o-rings. I triple checked everything and started her up. Ran perfect. I drove it around the block a few times and it was great. So I went to my buddys 2 miles away and I noticed I used almost a 1/8 of a tank, I was like the hell. But when I was leaving, this is what I saw from under my car. Thats from 15mins of sitting...Any ideas of where to check? I will check em all in the morning and update you guys.
This was from the front of the car.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm.... id start the car or leave it off and look at everything for leaks. Fuel lines under hood, injectors, fuel pressure regulator.... something obviously isnt right.

Also is your upper intake ported too or no?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
dont run the car till you find the leak. if its coming from the front of the car then there is a good chance you have gas running all over the engine. COULD YOU NOT SMELL IT????? holy eff bud.

prime the fuel system (koeo, off, koeo and then leave it on), inspect for fuel leaks. if your anything like me, you lost the oring on the fuel rail where the fuel line attaches to it. and is probably sitting on top of the trans somewhere like mine was.

if its ocming from the front it can only be a few things:
fuel line to fuel rail seals
fuel pressure regulator (never herd of one leaking like that)
fuel injectors (body o rings or injector to fuel rail sleal)
or a leaking fuel line (rust, kink etc)
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
If it is a 2.4l , when you put the o-ring for the fuel pressure regulator in did you put it on the line or in the regulator...when we tried to put it on the line the regulator wouldnt fully seat but you could get it back together and it would run fine
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
If it is the fuel rail line seal then that should be easy to determine. But if it is the fuel rail then you'll be pulling the UIM back off again to fix it. I learned the hard way to always pressurize and test the fuel rail before putting the UIM back on because that fuel line seal is very easy to screw up without knowing it and causing a leak.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
01OhioAlero
GX Member

I did smell it but I thought it might be some paint curing. And it was pressurized before I started it. Its a 3.4 and sadly no ported upper intake yet, Im heading out now and Im gonna check everything and snap a pic of the engine bay. Looks pretty nice. I went through 2 of those fuel rail orings 14$ at dealer... If its that im gonna be ticked off. But when I changed my fuel filter all my fuel and brake lines looked crusty. I might just replace them all anyways and hope that it was just a fuel line up top. I really dont wanna rip off UIM because I need new gaskets.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
01OhioAlero
GX Member

Got it all solved up. Opened up hood and there was a puddle of fuel under UIM. It was a injector oring. Now it makes this weird sound that sounds like change kinda. I think its a water pump but I just put a new one on. And I also took a nice pic of my car-
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
01OhioAlero
GX Member

Also i just found out the fans dont spin. My car is running a little hot cause of it. Runs about a needle notch over the middle.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
There may be a bubble in the system. Try purging the heater hose. Aside from that... sitting in traffic on a hot day over half is normal. Basically if it goes over 3/4 you probably have an issue. But ive seen mine on a hot day in traffic go up half between the 3/4 and half mark. But once rolling it would lower back down
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I had an injector leaking at the O ring. I could see it was injector number 1 because the gas was running down it like a waterfall, when I pulled the manifold to fix it, injectors 4 and 6 were not seated right either.

Needless to say, that was the last time I took the car to that guy

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
And as for the smell, I pulled over a few weeks after that on my way to work with the Delta because the car in front of me was leaking gas pretty bad and I thought it was me. After I pulled over and the smell got less and less as I walked up to the engine, I knew it wasn't me

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
For reference, make sure when you put any sort of o-ring on, rub oil all over it so it seats smoothly without any deformation.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
01OhioAlero
GX Member

I made sure I did that the 2nd time around. Runs great the sound is my water pump bearing im 99% sure. So I will just take the durajunk pump back and get a whole new assembly.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
01OhioAlero
GX Member

Chiming in, this is tylers older brother. Im the one who did all the work to the car, injector o ring was faulty causing it to leak, got it all fixed. Car runs great now. Waterpump only has 50 miles on it so far is junk.

These cars are pretty simple once you get the concept down, i myself wouldnt mind a alero to toy with now. Trying to teach my brother who is the owner of the car and this account how to work on vehicles since hes only 17.

Wonder how long before he notices i posted this hahaha