Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
SeaHoCaptain

Don't flame the Noob...

OK ... Here's the deal. Just took possesion of a 99 GLS coupe. Been surfing the site for a few days now gathering infomation and now its time to ask a few questions. I'm the kind of guy that is not a mechanic, but not afraid of tools either. Usually attempt to fix the problem myself before hauling it off to a mechanic. More often than not I am successful with decent instructions.

First off. The vehicle has 101k miles on it and appears to run quite strong. Are there any preventive maintenance (outside normal tuneup, fluids, etc) that may be unique to these vehicles that I should be looking into. Anything notorious for crapping out or being a timebomb in this mileage range?

Second. It has a moonroof. Unlike others that I have owned that open completely. This one pops up. Goes back about 4-5 inches and stops. It appears to be functioning normally. My question is ... is this all it opens? More like a moon vent. Or should it be opening much wider and I need to look for what is stoping it?

Third. Keyless FOB. We have the original sticker. Keyless was defintely an installed option on it. But like many of you we recieved no key FOB. I'm getting mixed signals on whether these can or cannot be self programmed. I did pick up a cheap FOB on eBay to try out (#25678792). I'm seeing any where from you have to go to dealer. To some years can an other years cant. I mean why would 99 and 00 use the same FOB but 99 needs some dealer scanner and 00 can be self programmed? Makes no sense to me.

Finally. The foggy headlight cleaning. One has condensation in it and has yellowed/fogged. I tried the Mother's approach (on the outside) as I had some already to try. It cleaned it a bit but nothing spectacular. So I guess I will be pulling it and doing the wet sand and maybe even remove the reflector while in there. My question is simple and probably sounds stupid. But I am sanding both the inside and the outside with the 3 different grits of sandpaper correct?

I think thats it for now. Like I said its in relatively nice shape, just want to keep on top of things so my daughter has a nice ride.

By the way ... She paying for half of it. It's not a freeby.

Thanks in Advance!

David
Old 07-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
NjRef511

notorious on aleros:

Window Motors
Dashboard Melting
Turn Signal/Hazard Light Malfunction (Switch was recalled)

What engine is in the car? 2.2L 4 cyl Ecotec, 2.4L 4cyl Twin Cam, or the 3400 3.4L v6?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Now that wasn't too bad, when you said don't flame the n00b, i thought you were going to ask something stupid....lol

The moonroof definately isn't opening all the way if its only going back 4 or 5 inches. it should open all but 4 or 5 inches...maybe 3, never really measured it, but you get the drift. the motor could be going bad OR there could be an obstruction on the track.

Really there aren't too many mileage specific problems on this car...just stuff that happens regardless. You said its the GLS so it has the 3.4. You're going to want to keep a close eye on the lower intake manifold. It has a tendency to go bad. Also the wheel bearings tend to want to go out on this car alot as well. I see that its a coupe, so you're also going to want to keep an eye on the window regulators and the windows period. The little plastic clips inside there like to break and throw the window off track. Fortunately you can now just buy the little plastic piece and not the whole regulator and the repair is a DIY job. There's some other little goofy things that happen along the way and not all this stuff happens to everybody, but it just seems that these are the common problems that we're always reading about. Oh, also when you replace the brakes and rotors next time, switch over to aftermarket and something decent. The OEM rotors are crapola!

the key fob, i dont know about. I thought you needed the computer to program it, but I could be wrong. My thought would be to buy the fob b/c yes you're right, it should have one and just take it back where you got it and just say you found it in the trunk or the glove box and it needs programmed b/c it doesn't work.

I'm glad to see that you have looked around enough to see about clearing the corners. While you're in there, you might as well just go ahead and remove the little corner thing. I again can't honestly answer your question, mine started to get a little funky, so I just bought new ones and started all over.

Is this car like a 16th b-day present for your daughter, going to college present? Even if you're only paying for half, thats still better than nothing! You wanna pay half for mine too while you're at it?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
^ HOW can you forget about the front brakes?

those are the most notorious imo
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjRef511
notorious on aleros:

Window Motors
Dashboard Melting
Turn Signal/Hazard Light Malfunction (Switch was recalled)

What engine is in the car? 2.2L 4 cyl Ecotec, 2.4L 4cyl Twin Cam, or the 3400 3.4L v6?

yeah forgot about the hazard switch..thats pretty common, dashboard happens to some and not to others, and also the air/heat level switch likes to go bad and only work on the highest settings..quick, simple and cheap fix...just replace the switch.

And, you silly n00b NjRef511, read closely he said GLS which only comes with 1 engine choice 3400
Old 07-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
NjRef511

rawr. Its been a long morning, and I'm at work. What'd you expect.

And yeah, that gasket. Very nororious. Its gone twice on mine already. Had the regulator go on both windows, too.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
SeaHoCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0alero
...Is this car like a 16th b-day present for your daughter, going to college present? Even if you're only paying for half, thats still better than nothing! You wanna pay half for mine too while you're at it?
She just turned 17. Not really a present so much. Daughter can drive a manual, but just lets it intimidate her. Me and the wife both drive vehicles with manuals (jeep and cougar). The only auto we have is a full size bronco and that just sucks for mileage. So I struck up a deal with the daughter to find her a sweet ride. She has to keep her grades up, pay half, pay insurance, pay gas, and take car of it like its mine (cause it is). I'll take care of maintenance. If she does that i will sign it over to her for a $1 once she as repaid her half and she is free to do with it as she pleases at that time.

PAY FOR YOURS double0alero!!! GEEZE! This advise is getting expensive

All great information!!! Thanks .. I'll keep checking back to see if anything else has been added. Figured there was something up with the moonroof. It just acts like its normal ... like thats all... Rotors are obviously all new from previous owner. Read about the dashes here but hers is fine. No issue there that I can see. Windows OK .. Now It is the GLS coupe and has 3.4l 170hp engine. The color is odd. Seems to change colors in light. Brown one minute ... Puple next. And it seems to have every concievable option (OK .. remember from the intros... I drive a jeep).

One more question. The original window sticker says it has "side impact protection" Is that side airbags? Or just something fancy hidden in the door?

David
Old 07-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
I thought Alero's didn't come with side impact air bags? Been so long since I owned one I feel like I dont know anything any more.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

no its just beams in the doors, thats all...just a fancy name, show us a pic, we'll figure out the color. yes 3400 170hp, but you'll never see 170 w/out engine mods
Old 07-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
SeaHoCaptain

Quote:
no its just beams in the doors, thats all...just a fancy name, show us a pic, we'll figure out the color. yes 3400 170hp, but you'll never see 170 w/out engine mods

Thats what I figured. Thats ok if its much much less for now. Would have been fine with a 4cyl for her. Just happened to have it all. It's dive her brothers nuts .

David
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
NjRef511

ha. Hopefully you don't regret buying the 3400 in a few months like I do. Gas mileage can be shit sometimes, and I know from talking to local alero owners that i'm not the only 3400 owner with coolant in their oil >_<.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

my 3400 gets better mpg than my 2.4 ever did
Old 07-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
NjRef511

Quote:
my 3400 gets better mpg than my 2.4 ever did

Most likely has to do with my engine problems
Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #14
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
the 2.4 can get some really good mileage. I got from Joel's house to my house with one tank of gas. (over 300 miles, not quite 350. And I still had a quarter tank when I got home...and I had the cruise set to 90mph for 200 of those miles...)

OEM brake rotors warp really easily on pretty much every GM car with a sticker under $25k.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you show the 3400 some love itll be good to you, if the limg goes make sure to replace the gaskets with redesigned ones with the anti torque discs and she should be fine. My 01 gls has 95,000 on it and i havent had a bigger issue than a hub sensor, its been a pretty reliable and fuel efficient car. Good luck.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

smlzalero is an unknown quantity at this point
hey, just wanted to say that when I had the foggy problem with my headlights, I just opened them up and the crap inside just wiped out with a cloth. No sanding on the inside, but polish on the outside worked. (there's nothing inside the headlight to cause abraision, so there shouldn't be anything to need sanding inside)

--UPDATE-- Have 6 months to start paying!
smlzalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #17
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
Correct me if i am wrong, but in dealing with the operation of the moonroof when you press the open button it moves the moonroof into the vent position (only open 3-4 inches) then on the second press it moves the moonroof into the full open position (open all but 3-4 inches)
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #18
SeaHoCaptain

With the moonroof. the first press of the buuton seems to lift it up ... maybe an inch, like a vent. The second push takes it back maybe 3in lucky. The actual opening is less than 2 inches wide. I speculate this is wrong and it should be more. Don't see anything obvious but knowing the rest of yours open more just lets me know its something that needs some work THANKS!

Makes sense too on the headlight issue to only have to sand the outside. Thats what I thought but it just didnt want to make that assumption.

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice.

David
Old 07-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #19
nateb06
GX Member

nateb06 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah I've been getin 28-30mpg with my alero all summer long. Winter gas takes it down to like 22-25. so nothing bad with effieciency. Just check your coolent everynow and then and make sure its not getting milky or dark colored because if it is its leaking.
nateb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i didn't see it mentioned but another problem to watch for would be the wheel hubs with the 3400 engine...

as far as the key fob goes you can buy any fob but you need a gm tech2 scanner to program the fob so unless you have a friend you are gonna have to take it to a shop for that......

i think everybody else pretty much hit everything.....

oh and from your descriptions the color is that funky purple/brown only available in 99, pretty rare color, good find and I hope your daughter appreciates it.......