Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
One more ecotec swap thread... I did search, had a few more questions

Anyway, I found a 00' Alero 2.4L AT that needs a motor (rod through block) for $800.
I have found an auto wrecker that will sell me all parts necessary for an ecotec auto trans swap out of a 02' grand am for $750.

I know the parts I need, I just have a few more questions for those who have done it. I would post this on j-body, but this is an alero, and I have looked and found nothing about the alero there.

Parts I know I need: engine, trans, mounts, axles, driveshafts, harness, PCM, radiator, throttle/cruise cables, compressor, starter, alternator, airbox, all hoses, PS pump...

Ok, If I were to buy the ecotec parts for a swap:
1. Would I need ecotec oxygen sensors, and catalytic converter?
2. Will the fuel lines direct fit, and is it the same fuel pressure?
3. Will the heater core hoses, and the brake vacuum hose be the same?
4. Will the power steering pump from the ecotec fit the hoses, or how would I do this?
5. Do I need a new BCM?
6. Do I need a new condensor, or compressor, or how does the ac hookup differ?
7. Do I need a new fusebox?

Anything else technical I should worry about? I want to pull the 2.4 engine on a friday night and have the ecotec in and running by that saturday afternoon. Is there something I am forgetting?
Just want to have all of my bases covered...
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
You will need the ecotec exhaust frontpipe,
The fusebox can be kept to what I know, but I suggest thet you go to there with the old 2,4l fusebox to compare them or at least check on some wiring diagrams if they are identical
Fuel lines and pumps are the same, the fuel pressure regulator on the rail of the ecotec sets the pressure..
The BCM can be kept
For the p/s pump I'm not sure, but you can take the hoses with the swap and there will be no problem
For the a/c you need the compressor with the ecotec(not 100% sure)

That's all what I can say to help you out, someboy correct me if i'm wrong, because I did a lot of ecotec swaps in cavalier but none into the alero

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

What about the oxygen sensors and converter? I do hope to do this in the next 2 weeks, as I hope to buy the alero.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
As for the BCM, the VIN needs to match between the PCM and BCM.. so one way or anohter they need to be the same. Either get one reprogrammed or swap them both.

You will need at least the front oxygen sensor. The Ecotec has a 4-wire sensor where the 2.4 has a 2 wire sensor.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Is there a separate harness for BCM and PCM, or are they on the same harness?----
Will I need only the powertrain harness, or an additional harness?

Anything else in specifics that I should know? - I really want to be able to run the vehicle upon powertrain installation without having to go get more parts.
Anything else anyone can think of? I plan to use the original cradle but use the 2.2 bolt on brackets, is this ok?

This project will probably be happening next weekend, and I may order the parts monday, so I really need the info asap. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The powertrain harness should be all you need. It only joins the interior harness at one connector right near the PCM if i remember right. I know for a fact that the PCM wiring has it's own grommet through the firewall.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
comanche
V.I.P. Member

If I get an engine, trans, and PCM and BCM from a grand am 02+ that should work fine too, right? It doesn't really have to be an alero, right?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
exactely, it will be ok if it's from a grand-am too .... and cliff, with my 3800 swap I did not changed the bcm and everything worked just fine.... why would he need to change it, I did more than a dozen ecotec swaps in cavaliers/sunfires and never needed to change it, just need to let the security light goes off and it's done..

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Well, they are pulling the engine and trans and accessories for me this week, so depending on their schedule it could be next weekend before I start the project.

I'll have to see how it goes.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
comanche
V.I.P. Member

This is currently in progress at the moment - only difficulty I have so far is the difference between 00 and 02 with the ABS module and brake master cylinder main control box thingy. Everything else is bolting up nicely so far. I'll post again later tonight.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Hey, powertrain is now in car, need a few more parts I didn't know about:
ABS module (EBCM), PCM housing, maybe one AC line, Brake "manifold" thingy, brake bleeding, 02 sensor or different connector (downstream), and some more I can't think of yet. It was more work than I had anticipated, most is done now, it will probably be end of next week before I have time to pick up parts and finish the car. I will update it later.
I am now also posting a for sale thread of all the other 2.4L AT parts.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Hey, had another question, I am currently working on the 2.2L AT swap (from 2.4L AT).

Some questions, not sure if anyone has done this yet....

1. In the fusebox, when hooking up the powertrain harness block, the tan plug off the harness looks like it fits in the spot for a tan plug, but there is already a tan plug in it off of a different harness.
2. The plastic vacuum line in the harness, what does it do? -looks like I need an adapter to connect the two.
3. O2 sensor - do I need just a new downstream sensor, a new converter and sensor, or just a new plug end that fits?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
comanche
V.I.P. Member

The alero runs!! It's always great to hear an engine run after you spend soooo much time putting it in. And it was a different engine than the car originally came with in this model year, so I wasn't sure how the electronics would react. I've spent a fair bit of time on it....

Still has a few problems..... no brakes (somewhat of a problem, they need to be bled using a scan tool), ignition may be bad, the airbag light is on (no idea why), probably I really messed something up somewhere, the trunk won't open (with the key either!) the ac needs a lot of work (new gaskets, oil, and refrigerant) plus a bunch more minor stuff that just takes time and money. But I'm pretty happy right now, since it runs!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
congrats, time to add boost.......
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
booooooooooooooooooooost
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Nice! good job on getting her to run..... Keep us updated.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #17
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Update....

Bled the brakes.... I was supposed to do it with a scan tool, but just did it with a mityvac, no problems so far.

AC is fixed, took a few new parts - new accumulator, new low side hose, and some other stuff.

Fixed the 'ignition' problem.... it was because of a sticky shift knob, not releasing. Ignition is not perfect but good enough.

Airbag light -fixed! This took some time and the Tech 2. If anyone wants to know, it was throwing a B1001, option configuration error, due to the VIN being different in the BCM and airbag control module (SDM). So, I followed the alldata instructions for installing a new SDM. I typed the vehicle in as a 02 Grand Am (same as BCM) and went under SIR and special functions. Went under new part number programming. Went through the 10 minute test, got back out, erased the code, cycled the key, and started the car up with no air bag light. The car now thinks it is a grand am, but who cares. No service lights on, everything works.

Trunk still doesn't release by power, and remote doesn't work, but those are minor issues to me.

So that's it! I consider it a success, but it sure was a lot of hassle. I don't think I would do it again. But at least now I know how to do it.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
Misuseofyou
GL Member

Misuseofyou is on a distinguished road
Congratulations. How do you like the ecotec so far?
Misuseofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #19
comanche
V.I.P. Member

It's my 3rd or 4th ecotec... gotta love these engines. You can beat on them without worrying.