Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Efficiency Curve

at certain rpms for certain speeds engins have an optimal effiency curve that usually peaks near the top of every gear right and gets higher on the next, most cars peaks are tuned to be around 55 for highway speeds, i know that at about 38 miles per hour my car shifts and travels at about 1500 rpm instead of about 1900 as before, making me think i save gas at 3 miles over, i once saw a effeincey curve for a ford truck drawn up on scale and what not and was wondering if anyone knew where to find one for the ecotec, or am i more tired then i though and am making no sense
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
i doubt you can find these publicly available as a curve

but basically what you're looking for is a VE map, volumetric efficiency
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

is there one out there for the 2.2 eco? got a link ive searched googe b4 but called it an effiency curve
Old 02-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
like i said there's likely nothing out there publicly available, because efficiency depends on so many different things
Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
like i said there's likely nothing out there publicly available, because efficiency depends on so many different things
so other variables like elevation, mileage on the car & ect will effect efficiency?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

there isn't just one curve that shows how "efficient" an engine is... there's BSFC, temperature, octane, pressure, etc. i don't know what you're looking for. look at dyno graphs for where peak power is made and that is where it's the most efficient I guess.

here's what my high RPM volumetric efficiency looks like:

Old 02-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
I've done some research and calculations in the past, and my findings for the ecotec is that for its stroke it gets best efficiency between 1600-1900 rpms. But with all other factors considered including my real world experience, get it into OD but keep it under 2k rpms (about 50mph). When cruising at a steady 40-50mph, I can get a solid 35+ mpg all day, and that number could easily be doubled with mods and hypermiling.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

ahh 50? id be driving grandma isnt there a way to have the car tuned to have the efficiency peak more around 60? i realize that to do that there would be changes in the overall performance like slower acceleration, but htis is a dialy driver not a race car

averaging 90 on the interstate sucked my mileage down to 28 runing mid grade
Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
ahh 50? id be driving grandma isnt there a way to have the car tuned to have the efficiency peak more around 60?

Uhhhhhhhhhh.... lol
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
and you're complaning!? 28 mpg at 90 mph is damn good, i get 21 mpg at that speed.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
ahh 50? id be driving grandma isnt there a way to have the car tuned to have the efficiency peak more around 60? i realize that to do that there would be changes in the overall performance like slower acceleration, but htis is a dialy driver not a race car

Then don't drive 90.

If you want the best mileage, drive 5 over when the speed limit is 35mph or less, and when the speed limit is 50mph or more, don't speed. There is no way you can tune your car to change the atmospheric pressure that causes wind resistance.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote