Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-24-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Fabian_7s
GX Member

Fabian_7s is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Cooling problems

Hey guys I've been having problems with my alero 3.4L for the past few weeks since I've changed my lower intake gasket and flushed my antifreeze and I'm honestly out of ideas on what to check next!

So yeah basically what's going on is that when I start up my car everythings fine my heater throws out decently warm air as my car is warming up but as soon as the coolant temperature starts getting close to the thermostat temperature all of a sudden my car just starts blowing out Ice cold air from outside for like 10 to 15 seconds and my temperature gauge goes almost to the 3/4 mark and then it drops down back to half and my heater starts throwing out really hot air again all of a sudden! Its so freakin weird and its driving me crazy trying to figure out whats going on! I've tried bleeding the coolant multiple times but it doesnt help and my coolant tank is full to the max cold line so it isn't low on antifreeze.

Also other things i noticed but im not sure if its related to the problem or not so im theowing it out there to see if it helps but if my coolant is hot and pressurized is my coolant level on my reservoir supposed to go up or down? Because the other day i checked it and i noticed it was like 1/2 an inch under the fill line so i thought maybe i have a leak somewhere? For the mean time i was gonna add some more antifreeze and as soon as i loosened the cap and let the pressure bleed out i looked at the tank again and all of a sudden my coolant level is back to where it should be? I never noticed that before so i dont know if its normal or not. If i had to take a crazy wild guess tho I'd say i probably have a bad hose somewhere and when it builds pressure the hose expands slightly like a balloon and holds more antifreeze than normal but thats just a crazy guess
Fabian_7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Sounds like you have air in the cooling system.

Start the car, let it warm up, crack the bleeder valve (I think it's an 8mm bolt) until coolant comes out.

If that isn't it, I'd change the thermostat

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Here is the bleeder valve. Open slowly, coolant will piss out. You don't want to get burned.

You don't have to take it out. Just turn it until the hole on the bolt is exposed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (84.9 KB, 51 views)

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 11-24-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #4
Fabian_7s
GX Member

I tried bleeding it already but just for good measure I'll try bleeding it again. But just to make sure im bleeding it right am i supposed to open the valve with the car on or off? Because every how to i could find wouldn't really say :/
Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Having the engine on, can help.
If you have a lot of air, it will trap there after you turned the hot engine off, and can let it bleed out there.

But non the less, this can be a task that has to be done quite often for some time.
Took me about 15 to 20 bleeding sessions till my cooling system was working flawlessly, and better than ever.
Raising this side of the car a bit can help, too.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #6
Fabian_7s
GX Member

so after a few days it overheated on me and noticed the coolant ran out somehow so i imiidiately parked it and started looking really hard for any leak i could find and after a few days of pulling hairs out and having a gas can and matches nearby i finally found out that it was just one tiny lil O-ring that got too worn out!! �� It only let out maybe 1 or 2 drops every minute but im pretty sure it was sucking in alot of air from there hence my over heating problem! But anyways $0.75 and 30 minutes later it was replaced and now my alero is good as new!