Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #21
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
Got a new/used horn from the salvage yard. Installed it. Very easy job. Now the horn works. Thanks guys. Probably gonna leave the cruise to the dealer when I get taxes

It probably is the button. I bought my replacement on Amazon. It's easy enough to install, but I did pull a few fuses before I installed it. I know keep that button ON all the time, since I assume that the new switch has the same design defect as the original one and will break if I use it more than a few times.

It's really not that hard to do, but there are these bolts that you have to tape onto your ratchet.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #22
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
It probably is the button. I bought my replacement on Amazon. It's easy enough to install, but I did pull a few fuses before I installed it. I know keep that button ON all the time, since I assume that the new switch has the same design defect as the original one and will break if I use it more than a few times.

It's really not that hard to do, but there are these bolts that you have to tape onto your ratchet.

he is talking about his wifes impala not alero...different switch setup
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #23
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
It's the "set" button next to the air bag. Thanks for the repiies though.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #24
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
what exactly is it not doing? if the set button is not "setting", how do you know the rest work etc?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #25
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
what exactly is it not doing? if the set button is not "setting", how do you know the rest work etc?

I honestly have no idea. Both fuses are good. (Tested with test light). The on/off switch feels like the contacts are good. The "cruise" light doesn't turn on when I press the set button. So to be honest I am just guessing it's the "Set" button not working being the system won't activate. The buttons are pretty worn looking and the set button feels a little limp. I will take any suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #26
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Could still be a brakes witch. Like said previously. If there is a code for the brake switch stored then it will disable cruise. If the problem is no longer present, unhooking the battery for 15 minutes and rebooking it up will possibly solve this for an undisclosed amount of time. However of u have a cirrent problem with the swith, then pulling the battery cables will do nothing.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #27
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
Could still be a brakes witch. Like said previously. If there is a code for the brake switch stored then it will disable cruise. If the problem is no longer present, unhooking the battery for 15 minutes and rebooking it up will possibly solve this for an undisclosed amount of time. However of u have a cirrent problem with the swith, then pulling the battery cables will do nothing.

No codes. Just quit workin out of the blue.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #28
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
You can always get a brake switch, try it on, and if it's the same thing return it. That automatically rules it out.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
03Alerosil
GL Member

Auto parts stores won't let you return installed electricL items but I did think about trying out the switch
Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #30
03Alerosil
GL Member

Going to take the at to the dealer so they can hook their tool up to it and see what part of the circuit is bad. I may have them fix it or maybe do it myself. I don't know. Got a big trip coming up and cruise control would be really nice to have
Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #31
03Alerosil
GL Member

Well found out what the issue is. It's the cruise control module. Dealer wants $850 to fix. Local junkyard has a bunch for $45. Gonna get it fixed tomorrow
Old 08-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #32
03Alerosil
GL Member

Well I replaced the cruise module twice with no luck. Went back to the dealer and they are gonna look at it again for free two weeks from now
Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #33
03Alerosil
GL Member

Well dealer looked at car again and said once again it's the cruise control module. So I went to a better salvage yard and got a nice looking used unit and tried that. effing thing still don't work. I'm at wits end with the thing. Can't figure out why the cruise won't work. Do I have to unhook the battery and let the bcm recognize the new unit?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #34
03Alerosil
GL Member

Going to swap my module into her car cuz we know mine works and see what happens
Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #35
03Alerosil
GL Member

Did the swap. Didn't work. Tested every input into the module. Everything works. So everything tellin the module to turn on works. The module works but the cruise won't turn on. I'm completely lost. I even readjusted the brake switches. Very low resistance in the curcuit.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #36
pappyl
GX Member

pappyl is on a distinguished road
Need to determine in the unit is getting power. Suspect that is the problem, so the dealer can't scan the module - thinks it is dead. They seem pretty useless to me if they cant track down a wiring problem.

I would assume the problem is in the power switch to turn on the unit (first).
pappyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #37
03Alerosil
GL Member

First off, thanks for the reply. I tested for power from the ignition switch. The module is getting 11.6 volts from the ignition switch which is more then enough to work as it needs to see between 9 and 16 volts. I also tested the module in m alero and it works perfectly so it's not the module. It would see all the inputs going into the module work and the module works but it won't turn on. I am started to think the PCM is sending an inhibit signal to it
Old 10-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #38
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

you cant talk to this module anyways. does the car have an abs light on at all?

i had somone come in last week, complained the cruise didnt work in her imala... the switch was turned off. apparently oculdnt find the power switch on the multi-function lever. :/ people.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #39
03Alerosil
GL Member

The car does not have abs or traction control. I checked the wheel bearings myself cuz I suspected that may be the problem. It also does not have a check engine light on.

Last edited by 03Alerosil : 10-01-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #40
03Alerosil
GL Member

Well I finally fixed the damn cruise. I had two issues. First the TCC/Brake switch was no good, very high resistance. Second, I had a broken wire going from the brake switch to the PCM that controlled TCC lock-up. Repaired that wire and all is well.