Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Goliath
GX Member

Goliath is on a distinguished road
Starting Issues

Tried to start my Alero (2.4L) this morning and it did not start. At first, it started slightly but did not run smooth at all and died after 2-3 seconds. I tried to start it immediately after and it turns over fine, but as soon as engine takes over from the starter motor, there's a pretty violent shutter and it dies.

Any ideas what this could be caused by? It's pretty cold here, not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

EDIT: I have had a code thrown for a minor EVAP leak. Haven't had the chance to address it, but maybe this could play a part in it as well?
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Goliath
GX Member

Video of trying to start the engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI5GmYMzk6Q
Old 02-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Goliath
GX Member

UPDATE: For anyone lurking. Pulled the coil pack and tested using an ohm meter. One bank read 0.5 ohms and the other 0.4 ohms. On my way to get news coils, plugs, and boots. I'll update after that.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Video is set to private so nobody can view it.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Goliath
GX Member

UPDATE: Plugs, boots, and coils did nothing. Back to square one.

Video has been made public. Sorry about that
Old 02-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Check pressure at the fuel rail. Almost seems to me like it isn't getting any fuel.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Goliath
GX Member

Thanks, I will look into that tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have a fuel pressure gauge and I won't be able to make it out tonight
Old 02-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

with a cloth under it, just push the valve real quick and if fuel comes out with any pressure then it isn't fuel pump and I would then check the fuel regulator. My three best ideas of what it is without being at the car are fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator or a combination from the list.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
^I am in agreement. Looks like you knocked out the spark being an issue. If its not fuel than you might be looking at big things. Loss of compression inside the motor or something, who knows. Start with the fuel stuff, sounds similar to when my pump went out, and if you replace that, replace the filter with it.
Also, depending on how quickly you need it, rockauto has much better priced pumps than local stores. They ripped me off good cause my alero is my dd.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Goliath
GX Member

Gotcha. I did just put a fuel pump in about a year and a half ago, so I don't think it's that. I'll check pressure right now and see what I get.

Thanks for the replies
Old 02-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
Goliath
GX Member

Is the valve under the plastic intake cover? The one right above the throttle body?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #12
Goliath
GX Member

UPDATE: couldn't find the valve, but I sprayed a little ether in the air intake and no dice. Still doing the same thing. I also checked compression and all seemed okay there as well. 110, 140, 135, 115.. Is it possible that a major evap leak could cause this? I'll see if I can get my hands on a smoker to test the system
Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
03glgold
GLS member

Check the fpr it is a likely culprit.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
Goliath
GX Member

Is there anyway to check this apart from replacing it or using a fuel pressure gauge?

Last edited by Goliath : 02-19-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Yea, like graham said, sounds like the o ring has given up on you. Before you pull it off though, check the diaphram in it. Get yourself a piece clear tubing, take the vac line off and attach the hose to it. Suck on the hose and look for fuel in the hose. If you see fuel then the diaphram has a tear or hole in it and should be replaced. If it holds vacuum and no fuel present, just replace that o ring and you should be up and running! A fuel leak there will skew your idle trims horribly and make it run like ass. Fuel mileage will be affected quite a bit with a bad regulator as well man
here is what i found though it isnt too difficult to put a new one on and they arent that terribly expensive. The test might not work right if its plugged up though.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
Goliath
GX Member

Thanks for that! I'll find a hose and do the test now. Looks like it's just two torx screws holding it on the rail. Seems pretty simple to replace.

Thanks again for advice!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #17
Goliath
GX Member

Ran into a slight hiccup... I took off the resonator to get a better view of everything and there was no hose clamp on the bottom fitting. To make it worse, there was a bunch of gunk built up in there. Obviously this isn't good, but could it be the cause of my problems?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (106.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (102.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (48.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
Goliath
GX Member

It's ice! I guess moisture got in there since there was no hose clamp (not sure who did work on this car before I owned it ), collected, and froze. I'm thinking this has to be the cause. Still planning on replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

EDIT: Is that a coolant hose by any chance? It's orange, like coolant, so I'm wondering if it's possible that it got so cold here that it froze even the antifreeze? It's been in the negatives (-15 to -20) here lately.

Last edited by Goliath : 02-19-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #19
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
That, and the places it leads to, is not a good area to have moisture in. Let alone, THAT much. You may have to dig deeper.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #20
Goliath
GX Member

I'm looking into it now... It looks like the hose pictured above leads to a box (not sure what it is) on the side of the engine. Another hose comes out of that and leads to what I think is where the timing chain is (where the oil cap is). That hose feels completely solid abd full of ice... I can only imagine this is really bad ... I might have to look into scraping this thing and getting new car I guess