Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-29-2004, 04:59 AM   #1
columbusaleroman87
GX Member

columbusaleroman87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to columbusaleroman87
I've been looking into switching over to satellite radio, SIRIUS inparticular, for the last month or so and was wondering if anyone has it and how you like it. Also for anyone that has it or knows a lot about it I had a Question for you. I have a Pioneer HU which is compatible with XM but if I want to get SIRIUS would I have to buy a whole new HU or is there a way to run either company through any HU?

Thanks for your help guys.

columbusaleroman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:14 AM   #2
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
if u go xm i have a tuner for sale that i dont use anymore
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:33 AM   #3
flalero

Pioneer HU's use XM exclusively. So far, I have no complaints about my XM. I listen to it all the time and I will really listen to it next year when they will be broadcasting every MLB game. Anway, you will have to change HU's or go with XM.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
1WhiteOSV

Go w/ XM...:

more music channels
college football
MLB baseball
CHEAPER
easier to use
better looking/smaller units (unless u go dedicated through your Pioneer then you won't have ANY units visible)

That's just my 2 cents....I sell both Sirius and XM every day at work (Best Buy) and literally, the ONLY people I recommend Sirius to are the NFL crazy fans...that's it. If you want it more for music purposes, go XM all the way.

You can go to Best Buy and get the XM tuner box/antenna and the BUS cable for your Pioneer for $100 total.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
1WhiteOSV

Quote:
Originally posted by flalero@Nov 29 2004, 11:33 AM
Anway, you will have to change HU's or go with XM.
that's IF you want it to be dedicated through your HU...you can still the the Plug & Play units from Sirius that mount separately on your dash (ugly as hell IMO..but do-able).

I know JVC makes decks that are Sirius ready, and we sell a BUS cable and XM box at best buy that allows a Sirius Ready JVC deck to have XM put on it, but nothing to have an XM ready deck have Sirius on it (yet).
Old 11-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
flalero

^^Yeah, I forgot about the piggyback system you can use. Damn, I wish I had only paid $100 for my XM receiver. I paid like $150 for the receiver and $50 for the antenna at Circuit City. Oh well, most of it was paid for with a gift card.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
misslindseysue

I really like my XM. The tuner for a pioneer deck is only $100.

http://www.xmradio.com/xm_direct/aftermarket.jsp
Old 11-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
wc_alero

I was thinking about getting satilite radio as well, but the only thing that has really stopped me so far is that I also wanted to be able to listen to it from the internet. You can do that with XM (which is the one I was going to get since I have a pioneer HU), but you have to pay another monthly fee for that. I thought I saw that if you have Sirius you can listen to it online also for no additional charge. Am I correct?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
misslindseysue

I don't know about Sirius, but XM online is only $3.99/month if you pay for radio already. Sirius is $12.95/month, so even if online is free, you're only up $1 for XM w/ online. Ok, yeah, online streaming of music is free with Sirius. You have to call to get a password.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:34 PM   #10
wc_alero

Oh I thought I saw that Sirius was only $9.99 a month too. Maybe they had it discounted for the first few months or something.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #11
1WhiteOSV

You can pre-pay a full year with Sirius and it is only $120 (9.99/month) But if you pay monthly then it's $12.95.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:06 PM   #12
wc_alero

Quote:
Originally posted by 1WhiteOSV@Nov 30 2004, 02:01 PM
You can pre-pay a full year with Sirius and it is only $120 (9.99/month) But if you pay monthly then it's $12.95.
That must have been what I saw then. Thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 02:06 PM   #13
misslindseysue

XM has deals if you prepay at least 2 years... it goes down to less than $9/month.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
1WhiteOSV

I think you can also pay a lump sum and it's a lifetime subscription too you never need to pay again...i 4got the amount though.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM   #15
misslindseysue

$499.99 for life for Sirius.. the deal is good 'till before Christmas.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #16
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Despite what others have said, I love my sirius.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:07 AM   #17
mobs241

heres a little hint with sirius. you pay for more time you pay less. i pay for a year at a time and it wound up costing oh around 8 bucks a month. food for thought.
and ive had xm and sirius. theres a reason i still have sirius.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #18
1WhiteOSV

each has their advantages/disadvantages......I don't really call one BETTER than another...it all depends on what the listener like to listen to. If I talk to a customer and they like football, other sports, 80's rock..i'd recommend Sirius....if they like college football, MLB, and all around music listening..i'd recommend XM

XM just tends to be a better deal now especially since they've added college football and MLB coming in the spring....
Old 12-01-2004, 01:10 PM   #19
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
IMO Sirius is better. I now have them both in my car.... I have XM controlled from my head unit, and I have a Sirius P&P unit that I got for free through a promotion on Siriusbackstage.com.

They both cost $10 a month, but you have to pay a full year in advance with Sirius if you want that price.

Sound is almost identical on both services, so that is no problem. I drop out a bit more with XM around trees and tall buildings, but Sirius drops out too sometimes.

I got XM for Opie & Anthony (which isn't as funny anymore) wich costs more. Sirius will give you Stern for free in a year... but I am not a Stern fan.

Sirius gives you:
Every NFL game from both sides broadcasts
More talk radio (which I listen to most often)
Less commercials
Great looking new P&P units (the new Sportster is the best looking P&P unit)
Free internet streaming
Option to buy lifetime subscription for $400ish
Free Stern

XM gives you:
More Music Channels
O&A
MLB
NCAA football

Neither is really cheaper.... with Sirius, every option is included in the base fee... with XM, you have to pay for all the extra stuff you want like internet streaming and O&A.

Don't let anyone tell you one is better than the other. They are similar but make your decision based on the differences. Like I say, I prefer Sirius, but I enjoy them both.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #20
1WhiteOSV

XM Delphi SkyFi2 unit is awesome...you can pause the music...store up to 30mins of music in the unit..it has a built in FM modulator in the TUNER (not the cradle/carkit) and it looks awesome. It will also work with any older SkyFi1 units (i.e. home kit/boombox)