Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
2ndAlero

OK... this is what I found out from my research online, from calling around to a few places, and basically reading up on the Class II wiring information I could find.

You do NOT have to relocate your stock HU in order to keep the chimes (all the warning sounds), but you can. That harness runs either ~$50 or ~$80 depending on where you go.

You can get rid of your stock HU and keep your chimes if you use one of these harnesses (there might be more, these are what I found).

Peripheral GMCO - cost online $99.95

check out: http://aampofamerica.com/2002/press_detail..._site.asp?ID=22

or go here to buy it online: http://autosoundgear.com/tek9.asp?pg=produ...ecific=jqdmlqh0

Soundgate GMChime - cost online ~$80 - $90

check out: http://www.soundgate.com/products/gm-chime/

or go here to buy it online:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soungmchime.html

or

http://www.tms-electronics.com/produ...ductid=GMCHIME

Scosche GM09 - cost online ~$99.95

The only site I've found this at is Car Domain here:
http://search.cardomain.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo....osche+SCOSCHES+

The other option is from Metra, which I can't find a website for... but found the best price (oddly) at Circuit City's website:

Metra GMRC01 - cost online ~$60

check out: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&...4&catoid=-11701

That's what I found so far... maybe this could be tossed into the FAQ or something by an Admin or made a sticky or whatever someone thinks if it's useful.

2ndAlero
Old 12-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
alerojunkie

I have the Scosche GM09. This harness is nothing to hook up. The only thing I dont like is the chimes are a hell of a lot louder and annoying but oh well. The dealer cant say anything to me about warranty issues because I hooked up the aftermarket the right way. This harness also retains the RAP (retained accessory power for the radio to stay on after you turn the car off) unlike relocating your stock radio.

I combined my new Kenwood HU with Sirius sattelite radio and cant even tell you how much I love it. Sounds like youre listening to a cd.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
blueyezalero

Arrow

When I had my stock HU taken out, the guy that did it for me also told me about relocating the stock HU in the trunk also. I did not want that so he put some part on it cost an extra 50$ but I don't remember what it's called.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
2ndAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyezalero@Jan 2 2004, 07:57 PM
When I had my stock HU taken out, the guy that did it for me also told me about relocating the stock HU in the trunk also. I did not want that so he put some part on it cost an extra 50$ but I don't remember what it's called.
Any idea on what he put in your car for $50? And, does your aftermarket radio stay on until the driver door is opened like the stock unit?
Old 01-03-2004, 01:13 AM   #5
alerojunkie

My aftermarket HU stays on after the car is shut off. This is called retained accessory power or RAP, so when you research these interfaces make sure it mentions it somewhere in the description. Like I said I have the Scosche GM09 and it is perfect. Its like I never took the stock radio out. The only thing that I do not like is that it does not route the chimes to the front left door speaker, it has it built into the interface. This just makes the chimes louder and even more annoying but you get over it quickly.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
2ndAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by alerojunkie@Jan 3 2004, 01:13 AM
My aftermarket HU stays on after the car is shut off. This is called retained accessory power or RAP, so when you research these interfaces make sure it mentions it somewhere in the description. Like I said I have the Scosche GM09 and it is perfect. Its like I never took the stock radio out. The only thing that I do not like is that it does not route the chimes to the front left door speaker, it has it built into the interface. This just makes the chimes louder and even more annoying but you get over it quickly.
Thanks... I saw that the Scosche GM09 keeps the retained power to the head unit in your post prior to this one. That is why I was asking blueyezalero if that was the same on the harness they had.

I think I'm going to order the Metra one from Circuit City and see how that one works. I'm not too fond of spending $100 for a wire harness unit since my factory radio died. I'm only hoping that the amp stays on and works with the aftermarket unit since the amp signal is sent through the serial bus to turn on.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Do you really need the chimes Rich? I kinda like not having them, leaving the door open and such without that insessant ding...ding..ding..
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
alerojunkie

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndAlero+Jan 3 2004, 04:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2ndAlero @ Jan 3 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-alerojunkie@Jan 3 2004, 01:13 AM
Thanks... I saw that the Scosche GM09 keeps the retained power to the head unit in your post prior to this one. That is why I was asking blueyezalero if that was the same on the harness they had.

I think I'm going to order the Metra one from Circuit City and see how that one works. I'm not too fond of spending $100 for a wire harness unit since my factory radio died. I'm only hoping that the amp stays on and works with the aftermarket unit since the amp signal is sent through the serial bus to turn on. [/b][/quote]
my bad dude i forgot that i even posted on here. Yeah i said exactly the same thing that i had already said.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
2ndAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by Molson@Jan 3 2004, 11:29 AM
Do you really need the chimes Rich? I kinda like not having them, leaving the door open and such without that insessant ding...ding..ding..
Actually I kind of do need them.

See... I never turn on my headlights, I use the auto on thing all the time. I never lock my doors when I get in the car, I use the gear shift indication to lock and unlock the doors. I also only use the remote to lock the car when I get out.

My girlfriend, however... turns the lights on manually, and locks the doors while she is sitting in the car. Sometimes she sets the keys down, or leaves them in the ignition, etc... etc...

I'd like to keep the chimes for that, "just in case" sort of situation. In any event, I picked up the Metra kit from Circuit City today, which does say it keeps the power on until the door is opened. I've got to make a few more connections and then I'm going to toss this thing in the car, and if all is working... have a few beers!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
blueyezalero

I'm sorry 2nd Alero for getting back to you so late. Yes mine does stay on when I take the key out of the ignition until I shut the driver side door. I don't know what brand this guy used but I know he got me a good deal...( think he likes me). Anyways he's supposed to hook up my sub and amps and get the wiring kit and charge me 70$ for all that. YEAH!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 PM   #11
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
does everything still operate as factory with the metra kit? well excluding the factory radio?

is there an amp install kit to work off of the factory unit? if possible, I'd like to run factory radio to a crossover to 2 rockford amps to 2 10's and new door speakers and rear deck speakers, if not i'll use my sony xplod cd reciever?
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:21 PM   #12
blueyezalero

I don't know what kit I have on mine but it all works the same as the stock HU. I wanted to replace the stock HU and I put in a Sony xplod cdx-m800 and I love it. I haven't had my other things put in because I have to buy amps now (b/f took mine)