Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
glsGreg

so i was out today in the middle of another freak april snowstorm for ohio and the car started hydroplaning off the road.. it was a little unexpected but i dealt with it.. it just kind of scared me to swerve off the road at 65 mph.. i was wondering if aleros were common to hydroplane or if it had more to do with the tires? i drove my cousins trans am with 18's in a storm and it was all over the road but i figured with the huge tire tread that was a lot of the problem.. thanks guys
Old 04-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
fiestyalerogirl81

Well i'm not an expert on that. But I do remember when i had my lebaron and I'm sure the regular stock rims were at least 15, I could be wrong but they werent big like 17;s or 18's and I would hydroplane on wet pavement all the time. I thought hydroplaning happens when there's enough water being kicked underneath the tire, and your wheels spinning too fast to actually touch the pavement. Correct me if i'm wrong. So why would the size of the tire matter?
Old 04-02-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
Sportalero

In a way, it kinda matters. I'm not quite sure what the stock tire rating is for rain performance, but the tires ability to cut water won't be all that helpful on roads that hold rain water, and i mean big sheets of water. Personally, I drive the same way rain or shine, and i hydro on numerous occassions. When the grip slips, take your foot the gas and don't hit the brake and just steer through that mofo. It's just funny to me when people are on the interstate going 25 mph with their hazards on and i'm still passing right by them at 60. Death wish, HELL YEAH. j/k
Old 04-02-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
Final-Reality

65mph + standing water/snow = hydroplaning and a trip to the ditch if you arent paying attention, unless you're a semi.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:56 AM   #5
99blackalero

most cars will hydroplane if theres enough water on the road....its not a commom alero problem...where do u guys come up with these questions? soon someone going to ask if its normal for the window not to open if its all iced up
Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 AM   #6
glsGreg

i figured it was a pretty realistic question seeing as how my dads truck and moms bonneville barely ever give me any trouble in water spots.. i just didnt know if the tire tread had anything to do with hydroplaning

i didnt mean to ask if its common to hydroplane in aleros.. i was just thinking does it have something to do with the weight.. or what makes it happen in some cars and not so much in others.. sorry if there was some confusion
Old 04-02-2004, 01:31 AM   #7
99blackalero

well if the cars lighter i guess it would be easier to hydroplane..a lighter car wont force out as much water as a heavier car ..like your dads truck...but good tires plays a factor too...with my 18's on, the car sticks in rain better than the stock rims with stock tires do
Old 04-02-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I don't know. It's weird. Quite a few times in the snow my car fishtailed like it was rear drive.

If you start hyrdo, don't hit the brakes. I did that in my little Nova once on a busy street and spun into a 180, while I was trying to go around a curve. The scariest part was it first aimed at on-comming traffic, then a tree, but it stopped in the street. Go thing nobody was behind me

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
dadirtybulldog

my alero hydro'd around 60+, about a year ago i switched my tires to kumho's and i haven't hydro'd since... your tire tread makes a big difference. :thumbsup:
Old 04-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
quitlahok

tire tread and car weight both play a pretty good factor. i had a suzuki swift and that thing would hydroplane if i spit on the road in front of it :o
Old 04-02-2004, 09:58 PM   #11
dadirtybulldog

^^^hehe hehe^^^ those were a deathtrip waiting to happen
Old 04-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #12
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Hydroplaning is a result of your tires not moving the watter from under them away.. so that your tires can grip, 2 ways to prevent it....well 3...
1: Dont drive in the rain
2: get better tires that will move the watter away from your contact patch..
and the most hated one
#3: SLOW DOWN (most effective but most hated) :P lol

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #13
cybermob2

Quote:
Originally posted by dadirtybulldog@Apr 2 2004, 09:24 PM
my alero hydro'd around 60+, about a year ago i switched my tires to kumho's and i haven't hydro'd since... your tire tread makes a big difference. :thumbsup:
driving around on bald tires?

i can't say i've ever hydroplaned, and i've driven in every hellish condition imagineable in west michigan. although there's that one time when i hit 4" of slush @ 80mph and went in the di...