Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
alerov6rcr

hwo do you guys feel about alot of the newer cars which have both auto and manual? is it better than manual and auto because it has both. how do they compare at racing?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
overdrive75

Most, not all of these cars are automatic transmissions, that have been set up in such a way that you can manually shift them. So what is your actual question?

Running such a configuration in tap mode, would more than likely give a lower time, than running in auto mode. Assuming the above statement.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
2ndAlero

The tiptronic mode is licensed from Porche (they own all the patents on this technology). In theory it does allow for *slightly* better times, provided you know when to shift, compared to the tables that are telling the car to shift.

If the car has been setup from the factory to shift for fuel economy, then yes; you can do a bit better.

You don't have a different transmission, or different gearing, so you aren't going to gain much at all really.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
ive heard a lot of things about problems with triptronic transmissions, specifically one from chrysler (in the intrepid, etc.), and audi a4's tranny in their 98 and similar..... and ive heard random bad things about many of them in general.

but triptronic is fun
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
cybermob2

my .02 is that tiptronic is for the family guy who's wife can't drive a stick.

i drove a a4, comp g, and pacifica in the same day, and i can tell you there is a world of difference.

the a4 shifted when you bumped it, the comp g felt muttled and doggy, and the pacfica was horribly lagged.

i gotta say, after owning an alero for 3 years, i'm tired of an auto! i want my stick back!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
what's a comp g?
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:41 AM   #7
acidethereal

I heard there is a dgm or dsm transmission that is better than everything out.....its pretty new and shifts better and smoother than anything out there and is even good for racing
Old 04-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
cybermob2

Quote:
Originally posted by a2k@Apr 5 2004, 03:12 PM
what's a comp g?
the top o the line grand prix...

they're the ones with red calipers, they ahve paddle shifters on the steering wheel.