Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-31-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
she_devil_r6

I'm new to this site and have a question and hope someone is able to help me out!!!

I HATE MY ALERO!!!! I have had nothing but problems!!!

It is a 2001 with 63,000 miles on it....the extended warranty went out at 60,000 miles and now the damn transmission has halted!!!!

We are getting the run around with the dealership and the service protection center in regards to this!!! There is NO reason that a 3 year old car should already have its transmission replaced!!!!

Not to mention my remote key entry changes my radio station!!!! The car will no accelorate and the damn thing is only worth $4000....

She Devil
Old 03-31-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
misslindseysue

I have no idea what's wrong with it, and that really sucks. Try this:

Disconnect the battery when you get home from work/school. Go have some dinner. Maybe a drink. Then go connect it again. That'll clear the memory in the car, basically. It may fix some little problems. Won't hurt, either way.

Unless I'm reading that it doesn't work at all? Then that's crappy. Did you call Olds? 1-800-442-OLDS. Tell them the problem and ask for them to fix it, once you have it diagnosed by the dealer.

Oh, and welcome to the site. If you get it fixed and like it better, you'll find lots of good info on here.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
StealthAlero

we've all been there man. Some have it worse then others. sounds like a frequency problem with your keyless entry problem.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
Voodosoup

Did you have th etranny serviced at 50,000 miles?

I believe it's recommended in the manual.

And, Welcome!!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
poop happens, i have a 99 with only 66,000 miles on it when my engine went out, just deal with and then continue modding!!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
only 99 says change tranny fluid every 50,000 miles. 2000 and up is good for 100,000 miles.

i got 89,000 on mine with no problems.

sorry to hear about the dealership and everything.

but the tranny going out that quick is unusual
Old 03-31-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Alero: The manual says oil change intervals are the same for 50,000 & 100,000 miles so be safe & change the filter & fluid at 50,000 (cheap insurance)
Old 04-01-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
could you be more specific in what your problem is? You seem not to be asking a question but just venting. Is there tranny fluid in the tranny? What does it look like? what are the specifics here? (if you want help diagnosing)
Old 04-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #9
she_devil_r6

I am doing a little of both....venting and asking a question...

The car wasn't accelorating that much and the RPM's wouldn't go past 3000....so I took it into the dealership and they perfomed a diagnostics and said that the fuel filter needed to be changed and that would correct the problem!!!

Well after a week of the dealership having my car I went to go pick it up on Friday, left the dealership and everything seemed fine! Once I got onto the beltway to head back to work (I was on my lunch break) the car wasn't accelorating again. The RPM's would go up some but the car would not accelorate! I dropped the car back off telling them that I don't understand how the car was "roadtested" to make sure the problem was fixed, but the "roadtester" didn't see that this problem was still there!?!?!? After keeping the car another 6 days they tell me that in order to find the problem, I have to pay them $400 to crack the engine open to check the transmission. And if in fact it is the transmission I was obligated to have them do it since they already cracked the engine open!!!! Now mind you the dealership said that it would be a total cost of $5,000 with parts, labor, etc....I told them that I wasn't going to pay that much when the car itself is only worth $4,000, I'll find someone else to do it!!!! When I went to go pick the car up yesterday the bunnyer didn't have ANY juice!!!! I couldn't accelorate past 35 mph!!!!!

I can get a rebuilt transmission and have it installed for $1200 so I have no other choice but to go this route! But it just seems strange that a transmission in a 3 year old car would already be going out!!!

And to answer a question, yes all of the correct services have been made on the car, and yes there is tansmission fluid in it!!!!

I also have called Olds and they are telling me that I should be lucky that I have had the 3 claims on the car that I got (I'm like WTF!?!?!? If I have 3 claims in 3 years wTF does that tell you about this car!?!?!?) They are also telling me that they can't do anything about it because I am 3,000 miles over the warranty!!!!

She Devil
"....dazed and confused"
Old 04-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #10
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
My suggestion is to take it to another Dealer. Sure it will cost You for the diagnosis but it might be better than the place You took it too & cheaper for the repair. If it is the Transmission...get a good low milage used one from a wrecking yard or from E-Bay as they are selling for a heck of a lot less than $1,200. PS: have the Ignition System & Fuel Injectors & Fuel Pump tested again.Some Aleros have had Fuel Pump issues....Good Luck! :-)
Old 04-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #11
she_devil_r6

Well I FINALLY found out the problem...It was the Cadylitic Converter (sp?)

I just had it out with the dealership because they wanted to open up my engine for NOTHING!!!!! They gave me this bullpoop excuse that it sounded like there was a problem with the engine so they wanted to open it up!!!! I had taken it somewhere else and they did some computer tests and it SHOWED clear as day that there wasn't ANYTHING wrong with the transmission it was all in the exhust!!!!!

So I manged to save a poop LOAD of money....something that they wanted to charge $5000 for came out to be a $300 job!!!!!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!!! The dealership, GM Corporate office and the Attorney General has a NICE letter coming in the mail for them!!!

Again, thank you all :o)

She Devil issed:
Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #12
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
glad it worked out to be cheap!

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #13
blueyezalero

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was the law that catalyc converters (however u spell it!!) are supposed to be under warranty for 80,000 or 70,000 miles?? I think it says this in the first few pages of the owners manuel. Why take your car to the dealership?? Find a good mechanic...ask neighbors, friends. The dealership is way to expensive!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Was this a GM dealer?

I bought my Cougar used from a Chevy dealer and if I took it in for service, for something minor, they had it a week and no rental

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
dadirtybulldog

never take your car to the dealer to be serviced..... they are the biggest rip-off known to mankind....i took my car around to several mechanics until i found one i enjoyed doing business with.... then i "buddied-up" with the mech and became somewhat friends.... now i get good honest answers, honest work, and very competitive prices... mechanics are your friends----> find a good one... they're out there...... don't hate the alero, hate gm!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #16
2blessedalero
GX Member

2blessedalero is an unknown quantity at this point
I was wondering how exactly do you change the transmission fluid? I have been reading on here, but can't find a real good answer. I have a 99 w/ 2.4L and a automatic tranny. Is it a plug like on my Altima, or do you have to take the pan off? My altima, you had a plug to drain, then drop the pan to get to the filter. Is it hard to do for a intermediat level mechanic, or is it best left to a shop?(not hte dealer) I read a writeup on how to change a manual tranny's fluid, is there such a one for the automaics?
2blessedalero is offline   Reply With Quote