Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-31-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard these terms used (not in reference to my driving) but I don't know what they mean, hopefully someone can tell me:

1) Double shifting
2) Power shifting
3) Granny shifting

Also, I know you can shift gears without using a clutch or grinding, I've done it by accident a couple of times (foot slipped off the clutch but then I shifted anyhow). Is this safe to do? How can you do it on purpose?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
3.4Alero

Double shifting is usually used to describe double clutching. That's when you shift to neutral, let out the clutch, push in the clutch and shift to the desired gear. Usually used when shifting down. Helps the synchro's out a bit to make for a smoother shift.

Granny shifting is usually used to describe a situation where you should double shift but you don't. You keep forcing the gear, and it takes longer to get it.

Power shifting is clutchless shifting. If you do it right, it won't hurt your car, but practice on someone else's. Basically, you have to match the revs perfectly to get it in without grinding. I used to be able to do it pretty good, because I practiced a lot on work trucks.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:58 PM   #3
Final-Reality

1) Double Shifting? Do you mean Double Clutching? It's the act of pushing in the clutch, taking the car out of gear (say out of 4th), taking out the clutch again, revving the engine to approximately the RPMs that it needs to be at to match the transmission speed of 3rd, pressing the clutch back in, putting it in 3rd and releasing the clutch. It's a fast process but takes a long paragraph to explain. It's very similiar to what is called "rev-matching" except the clutch is pressed and depressed twice. Double Clutching isn't really necessary these days, but it was common practice on older vehicles that didn't have synchronizers, or can be used on vehicles with worn down synchros. (Hot-shoe race drivers can "rev-match" during hard braking through courners by heal-and-toeing, where they reach over to the gas pedal with their toes, while still braking with their heal, and press the gas to match revs with the engine.. very slick and I'm told difficult to master..)

2) Power shifting is simply shifting gears while keeping the gas planted, kicking the clutch as fast as possible, and throwing the shifter into the next gear as quickly as possible. It's very hard on the synchro's but provides with very quick shifts, and good drag racers love to do this. Just don't mess up because it needs to be timed properly otherwise you'll over-rev your engine for the brief moment it's in neutral

3) Proper shifting basically? Don't redline the engine, smooth shifts etc...
Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
Sportalero

I've always wondered what those meant to ever since I heard them on Fast and Furious :rolleyes: . Are all these positive things when it comes to racing (if done correctly?)
Old 03-31-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
look what the F&F has done for street racing and car modding.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I think I heard 1 or 2 of those from F&F. Thanks for the help!