Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
Silvanalero
GX Member

Silvanalero is on a distinguished road
Your opinion on suspension parts

I was wondering if anybody knew if they make height adjustable coilovers for our cars or if any from other cars fit with little modification. If not I was wondering what would be the best setup for a year round dd. I live in Manitoba Canada and we get a lot of snow so I don't want a lot of drop. Searching tells me kyb gx2 and eibachs are a good choice but are they sold as alero parts or grand am. I would also like your opinion on a good set of front and rear strut tower bars and rear sway bar. What brand is best and where can I find them in Canada. Btw I have a ecotec 5 speed if that makes a difference. Sorry about the long post I'm a bit of a noob.
Silvanalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanalero View Post
I was wondering if anybody knew if they make height adjustable coilovers for our cars or if any from other cars fit with little modification. If not I was wondering what would be the best setup for a year round dd. I live in Manitoba Canada and we get a lot of snow so I don't want a lot of drop. Searching tells me kyb gx2 and eibachs are a good choice but are they sold as alero parts or grand am. I would also like your opinion on a good set of front and rear strut tower bars and rear sway bar. What brand is best and where can I find them in Canada. Btw I have a ecotec 5 speed if that makes a difference. Sorry about the long post I'm a bit of a noob.

Well, if you go deep into the forest, there is this little leprauchan who's name is shawn and he hides all of the canadian springs. If you give him 3 gold coins to add for his pot of gold he will be distracted and you can steal them really quick. The last guy that went to him said he found them behind a tree stump.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
in '99+, Alero and Grand Am most mechanical stuff is exactly the same. Springs and struts are one of them.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
Well, if you go deep into the forest, there is this little leprauchan who's name is shawn and he hides all of the canadian springs. If you give him 3 gold coins to add for his pot of gold he will be distracted and you can steal them really quick. The last guy that went to him said he found them behind a tree stump.

Why didnt anybody tell me that eailier, I have 3 gold coins! im going to find this little fellow!
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Kyb gr2 are a great strut. If you want to drop a little extra money get the KYB AGX struts which are adjustable so you can change stiffness for street or track. Mate them with a set of H&R springs (a good balance of performance and drop) and you are good to go!!

Front and rear STB vary really. I have an ebay cheapo which seems to work. However good quality ones hit the bazaar section every once in a while.

For a rear swaybar you definately want a speedbuilt one, but again, these will have to be found in the bazzar section as they are no longer produced....
Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
mfuller

One of our Canadien members (guiguilandry) had a coilover setup made by Selex Suspension - might want to hit him up.
http://www.selexsuspension.com
Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Silvanalero
GX Member

Silvanalero is on a distinguished road
Are there any height adjustable ones though. The AGX is just damping I believe. Or do I have to go fully custom for height adjustment.
Silvanalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
You really don't want to go coilover. The ride will be very hard and rough.

I live in Philly, if we get 12+ inches in one snowfall the city shuts down. Last year we had 2 big snowstorms one was 28 inches and the other was 18. My Alero on KYB GR2 and Eibachs was just fine. The look on my nieghbor's face after pulling out of 2+ feet of snow and being plowed in, while he was digging out his Land Rover, with no problems (4 back ups and go) was priceless

Of course I have pretty good kick ass all season tires on the car too, that helps a lot.

After about 16 inches, the car likes to think it's RWD. As long as your ready for that, your fine

The roads here are pretty crappy, any lower would be a problem

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote