Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
melkor

How much trunk space will I have left?

Hey there, I went to East Hamilton Radio for their no payments, no interest for 18 months sale with the intent of buying a cheap alarm and getting the mounting kit and wiring harness for my deck. Well, 2 and a half hours later and a pushy salesman, I walked out with a Kaption Audio system. Two front door speakers, two rear speakers, a 12" ported sub box and two amps one 400 and one 300 watts and a viper 5000. Well I don't know too much about car audio and setup, but how much trunk space will I have left? The amps are pretty big and of course the sub is big, but I was just hoping someone would have an idea as to A) how much space will I lose and B) Where are they likely to put the amps. My system's not being installed for a couple weeks as they are booked solid. Thanks alot!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
well i've got 2 12's with a pretty decent sized box, i mounted my amp on top the box to keep it out of the way and i've got enough room for a set of golf clubs and my bucket for cleaning stuff...you can stack the clubs, but run the risk of doing what i did and punched in the center of one of the subs...
Old 07-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Poseidon

/\ maybe invest in a wire cage guard for the subs in the future
Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
i just got one 12, and i got all kinds of room in there.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
acold7dusta

i got a custom 10" box for sale in another thread if your interested
Old 08-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
It all deepends on the sub and type of enclosure used. High spl subs tend to have small sealed enclosures while sound quality subs tend to require excessive amounts of air. Your installer will be more suited to answer this question.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
I got 2 12" woofers and the amp is mounted on the back of the box. i dont have too much room in my trunk now. you will get a lot of rattles in ur trunk too, so u might want to invest in some dynamat or something else similar to that.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
sofa
GL Member

sofa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sofa
lol i stay away from EHR for that exact reason. Who sold you them? side pods work well for me in the trunk, take up no space at all. But yeah mount the amps either to the seat or the box or in the spare tire well i suppose. Whos going to install for you?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2313940 http://www.myspace.com/kowch
sofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
how many bodies are you trying to fit back there when its complete?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #10
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
lmao, good one double0.....i know what does it matter how much trunk space u have?!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:30 AM   #11
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
hey maybe he plays golf and needs some room for his sticks? lol
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 AM   #12
melkor

I'm not sure who is installing my sub but some dude with glasses sold me them, I think his name was Chris. Sofa, yeah yours looks great tons of space left. With the sub box and two amps, I think I'm pretty screwed. Another question would be, why did the bastard sell me two amps? Why not just sell me one big one, wouldn't that be cheaper? I paid like $645 for the two. In terms of bodies, I need to fit two dismembered corpses on a regular basis but sometimes three, Sin City style hehe. But seriously, I am worried about my trunk space for camping and fishing.

Last edited by melkor : 08-02-2006 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #13
Six Shooter
GX Member

Six Shooter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkor
I'm not sure who is installing my sub but some dude with glasses sold me them, I think his name was Chris. Sofa, yeah yours looks great tons of space left. With the sub box and two amps, I think I'm pretty screwed. Another question would be, why did the bastard sell me two amps? Why not just sell me one big one, wouldn't that be cheaper? I paid like $645 for the two. In terms of bodies, I need to fit two dismembered corpses on a regular basis but sometimes three, Sin City style hehe. But seriously, I am worried about my trunk space for camping and fishing.

Then take the shit back.....

If you don't want it, then you only have yourself to blame for being talked into buying it.

I stand on the other side of the counter here (though a different store), and have heard this before.

"I need all of my trunk space, but I want bass"

Well there's always give and take....

Either you give up trunk space, because it's easiest to install the subs and equipment in, or you give up more money, for a custom install where the equipment is built into/installed in other areas of the vehicle.

Was this post more to advertise that you were talkied into buying something you didn't want and now have buyers remorse, or are you genuinly worried about space?

Either way, things can be done to rectify that without being so apathetic about it.
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofa
But yeah mount the amps either to the seat or the box or in the spare tire well i suppose.

In my chevy, i suspended the amplifier from the rear deck between the factory rear speakers with some brackets, I haven't had any problems yet and it's quite out of the way. You might try that.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
melkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Shooter

Was this post more to advertise that you were talkied into buying something you didn't want and now have buyers remorse, or are you genuinly worried about space?

Either way, things can be done to rectify that without being so apathetic about it.

I'm not complaining here, and I'm not advertising that I was talked into buying something I didn't want. I haven't much knowledge about car audio as I said, and I didn't really think about my space. Space really is an issue for me as I camp and fish and with a 70 lb Golden retriever in the back seat on our little expeditions, I need the trunk. It's not that I don't want the stuff, cause I do, but I am willing to go without the sub if I have to sacrifice lots of space. I have been considering taking it back and I believe I will now. I will go in and talk to the salespeople and see if maybe a smaller sub, say an 8 inch will give me some more space. If not, I am more than happy with just new speakers. I am not here to bitch and moan, I just honestly wanted an answer, which now I have gotten.
Now, even though it's not in audio, I most definately know what it's like to be on the opposite side of the counter, and people can certainly be pricks.

I'm not a kid that wants bass to deafen me, I'm more interested in sound quality, as I am not really a hip hop or techno listener, so upon seeing what others have had to say I have come to the decision to go with either something smaller, or without one at all. Again, thanks all for influencing my decision. I appreciate it immensely.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #16
melkor

Well I made the trip back to the store tonight. I spent $236 more but I think it was well worth it. I picked up a new Kenwood deck, 2 Alpine amps and a
a small boxed 10. Both amps are about equal to one of the kaptions, have more power and were cheaper. The sub is less than half the size of the 12 and when the salesman demoed it I was thoroughly impressed. All in all good experience returning, but the fact that they only do exchanges (if I wanted cash I would have been in trouble) kind of sucks. But now I have some great sound coming without sacrificing too much space. Thanks again all.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
an02oldsalero

One way to keep you trunk space occasional camping and fishing and still have nice bass is to make your sub box itself removable with ease. Thats what I did. I have a 2.7 cu ft ported box with a single 12" pioneer in my trunk. Takes up pretty much the whole thing. So, when I wanna have more trunk space for camping equipment or something large, its just a matter of unhooking 2 spade connectors and removing a single brace then the sub box just lifts out. The amp is mounted to the back of the rear seat, so its normally out of the way.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #18
sofa
GL Member

sofa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sofa
i hate that chris kid.they can refund ur money on ur debit after enuff bitching to a manager lol. I've done it b4. sounds like a nice system ive gotta take a trip down soon for subs and im redoing my boxs. i think im building a rf system in the trunk i got a 2/500 power series, a 1/1500 power series and im going to buy a 45th anniversary edition then 2 12" or im thinking of going 10's cuzz they sound better w00 cant wait to give them more money .

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2313940 http://www.myspace.com/kowch
sofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #19
dragonwebz
GX Member

dragonwebz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dragonwebz
my friend told me to never mount an amplifier anywhere on the sub box because the bass could loosen screws and stuff inside the amp. However it seems like every one on here does some sort of setup like that. I also see it done on tv a lot with the amp mounted to the sub box. i'm just curious, cause I see the point about no space. I've got two 12's in a ported box with my amps sitting on the trunk floor between the back seats and box.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #20
jwth2005

As regard to mounting amps on the box itself... I have had my amp mounted on TOP of my box for 2 years(was running 2 12 inch subs) Now i have the same amp and a single 12(got a smaller car). I tried mounting it on the back but it decided to fall off lol. So i mounted it on the back of the seat. Not to mention i also have a pretty crappy amp(profile california), plus have almost blown it twice for a stupid mistake and it still works fine. All in all it is my experience thus far that mounting an amp to a box is not that bad.
My $0.02

Jeremy